Another big earthquake in Christchurch...and Elsewhere

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Re: Another big earthquake in Christchurch

Postby Faith » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:42 am

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_162-2 ... 91698.html

I love the Amazing Race and I know that Phil is from Christchurch so I found these videos of him returning home and surveying the damage.

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:47 am

I find myself particularly drawn by this tragedy. I'm generally not very in-tune with what's happening in the world but happen to pick up on this story soon after it happened and have been keeping up with progress on the ground since. And I can barely read a single story without getting teary.
I feel like I have a real connection with these folks, I can identify with them in a way I can't when these things happen in other parts of the world. I can't tell you how many times I've wished I could just jump on a plane and go down and help.
Great H, it's good that you've taken a break from this. Hang in there. And let's all hope there is some good news... :pray:

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:55 pm

Suzy, I was involved with the Red Cross here in RI for a year or so until health reasons made it impossible for me to continue. I was on scene for fires and helped people find temporary housing, and since we're on a coastline, helped with hurricane preparedness, a few years before Katrina. Had I been healthy enough, I would have been able to go with a group from RI to help in New Orleans.
It takes some training, but I was very glad I put in the time. I'd recommend it, so that next time you really could jump on that plane and help in person.
Great H, we're pulling for you - it's good you knew your limit and were able to take time to step back. That's important.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Great H » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:49 pm

Another shake in Welly in the wee smalls of last night - a bit bigger this time, 4.7, still no damage reports though. *phew!*
But I bet all the people evacuated from Chch to Wellie are about at their endurance limit!
On the plus side, at least everyone I know in Wellie now has disaster survival kits all set and ready to go just in case...

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:05 am

I've never been through an aftershock, but I was on the phone with my ex when he was in LA and every few minutes, he went, "Oh come on!", and the aftershocks were over 5.0, so they were nasty. He was going crazy waiting for things to settle down. That's what I hate about earthquakes - no notice at all, just shakes.
Welly, I'm praying for you and all the folks in Christchurch. Hope things quiet down soon, and for a long time.
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:56 pm

More swag for donations. :)

http://www.nzheartschch.org.nz/
90% evil
ImageImage

Great H

Postby Great H » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:28 am

The ULTIMATE swag for donations for Christchurch - Bret's Guitar!!
Oh how I wish I had the $ to bid! Sadly none of you can bid either as TradeMe is only open to NZ and Australia. :( Shame really, it'd be so much cheaper in foreign currency. I hope the price goes much higher than that...

kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby kipples » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:02 pm

Great H wrote:The ULTIMATE swag for donations for Christchurch - Bret's Guitar!!

What a great guy :)

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:52 pm

I appreciate that this was included. The guitar seems to be a solid investment.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:54 pm

Kudos for both the donation and the cleverness of the ad! :supz: LOVE the graph! The comments section was amusing as well. :lol:
Image..Image..Image

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:57 pm

I was wondering if the guys were going to do anything to help the relief effort. :thumb: Good for Bret! And I also love the graph, very scientific. :lol:

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:09 pm

mockingbird wrote:I was wondering if the guys were going to do anything to help the relief effort. :thumb: Good for Bret!

Bret's not the one auctioning off the item though. That guy, Gareth, purchased it at another fundraiser in 2009 and has decided to part with it to raise money for the earthquake relief fund. So I guess, good for Gareth!

But the guys getting involved wouldn't be a bad idea. They should hold an auction for a lunch/dinner date with The Conchords. That would raise quite a pretty penny.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

Great H

Postby Great H » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:13 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote:LOVE the graph! The comments section was amusing as well
Yes, Murray would be proud of that graph! And the comments section of TradeMe auctions are often the best bit! So much so in fact, they recently produced an entire book featuring well-known, and sometimes infamous, auctions and all their comments - I reviewed it for my work - that book is hilarious I tells ya! LOL!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:03 pm

vmh wrote: They should hold an auction for a lunch/dinner date with The Conchords. That would raise quite a pretty penny.
No doubt. I'd pay good money for a dinner date with only 1/2 of the Conchords providing there was sweet, sweet, *censors myself so as not to sound completely creepy* dessert afterwards. :waggle:
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:04 pm

:nod:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Return to “Off topic rambles”