Confessions

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:06 am

I still use ketchup or steak sauce when I eat steak...

No poking, no poking!

I once thought spandex shorts were cool...and wore them. :shock:
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

Kate
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Kate » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:06 am

Kate wrote:
Johnnyp wrote:Yeah I know but I said I did it when I was 5 not now. Yes anytime I hear "honey" this or "honey" that on any kind of meat it makes me scream. I know your a professional chef and all and I'm not saying this to try to impress you but I can't hardly stand anything that comes pre-made out of a can or a box. It mainly has to do with exactly what you're talking about, corn syrup. We know they do it to make things caramelize and look better and "supposedly" taste better well they're wrong on the second part. Wrong I tell you !!!!

The other day I was watching a show on the Food Network. I love watching this particular chef, because she is a hoot! Such a sweet Southern Belle, and so adorable! I wish she was my mom! But, her cooking just doubles me over somethimes. I would never make even one of her recipes. Everything has a stick of butter or a cup of sugar or something in it, and I don't mean just her desserts! --- Everything. I gave up the day she made "Bread Pudding" with 2 dozen Crispy Creme Glazed donuts, 2 cups of sugar, a large can of fruit cocktail "in heavy syrup, y'all!", a dozen eggs and 4 cups of cream. I don't know how she hasn't keeled over from a heart attack! --- Anyway, last week she made fried chicken -- double breaded and deep-fried, and then proceeded to put a "glaze" that looked and sounded like pecan pie filling alll over it (Corn syrup, honey, pecans, more butter, brown sugar and some cayenne... ugh!) I love her. She's a doll. But, her food is a nightmare! I could just die from what she comes up with! So........ I hear ya! I like "from scratch" best, too. Most of the time, I even try to make my own bread.

As you can see... don't get me started about food! I have very definite opinions about it, and they tend to be not of the American norm.

Just so you all know I am telling the truth:

Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding with Butter Rum Sauce

2 dozen Krispy Kreme glazed donuts
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
2 (4.5-ounce) cans fruit cocktail in heavy syrup (undrained)
12 eggs, beaten
1 (9-ounce) box raisins
1 pinch salt
1 or 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Butter Rum Sauce, recipe follows

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cube donuts into a large bowl. Pour other ingredients on top of donuts and let soak for a few minutes. Mix all ingredients together until donuts have soaked up the liquid as much as possible.

Bake for about 1 hour until center has jelled. Top with Butter Rum Sauce.

Butter Rum Sauce:
1 stick butter
1 pound box confectioners' sugar
Rum, to taste

Melt butter and slowly stir in confectioners' sugar. Add rum and heat until bubbly. Pour over each serving of Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding.

Fried Chicken with Pecan-Honey Glaze

1 (3 1/2-pounds) frying chicken, cut up, or your favorite chicken parts
2 large eggs
Salt and pepper
Garlic powder
Vegetable shortening or vegetable oil
2 cups self-rising flour
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1/2 cup honey
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
Brown paper bag

Rinse the chicken and pat it dry. Beat the eggs in a 9 by 13-inch dish. Lay the chicken pieces in the dish, and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Turn the chicken and season the other side, then slosh the chicken parts around in the egg until well coated.

Put enough shortening or oil in a cast iron pan or electric skillet to come just halfway up the sides of the chicken parts. Heat the shortening or oil just until smoking, about 375 degrees F. Put the flour in a paper bag, add the chicken pieces, a few at a time, and shake to coat well. Remove the chicken with tongs and place it in the hot fat. Cover the pan, leaving a crack for steam to escape, lower the heat to 325 degrees F for electric skillet, and cook for 10 minutes. Turn the chicken with tongs, cover again (leaving the lid open just a crack), and cook for 10 minutes longer. Very large pieces may need to be cooked a little longer. Drain the chicken on paper towels and transfer to a platter.

To make the glaze, melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Whisk in the honey until well blended. Bring to a simmer and add the pecans. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle the glaze over the hot fried chicken and serve.

Like I said... she's a lovely woman. Great sense of humor -- a real firecracker! And, I'd have loved to have had her for my mom. And, her personal story is one of great courage. I admire her as a person a lot. But, these recipes, and recipes like them, should come with a warning from the medical community, and a barf bag! :lol:

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:28 am

:shock:

Kate
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Kate » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:14 am

Johnnyp wrote::shock:

I wasn't lying, was I? :shock: , indeed.

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:29 am

Yesit is :shock: I hate it when people us the word but the word yuck does come to mind. :D

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:57 am

Hee! I'd heard about that bread pudding recipe she does and saw the actual recipe. That one made my teeth hurt! There's someone on the Cooking Light message boards who jokes about her and her love of butter.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Spammy
Giving the paper to the people

Postby Spammy » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:43 am

That pudding sounds too sweet for even me to handle. I am one of the few out there that thinks sugar should be made sweeter. Although I have kicked my sugar habit recently. (I even had proper withdrawels)
I do love Krispy Kremes but not 2 dozen :?
"You see a peanut, the day's off to a good start. You witness some soil, it's a jamboree for Vince Noir" - Howard Moon - The Mighty Boosh

SayWhat?
Half a shapely halibut

Postby SayWhat? » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:46 am

I find those recipes very disturbing. :shock:

I also find Gayle's new avatar very disturbing. :shock:

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:23 pm

SayWhat? wrote:I find those recipes very disturbing. :shock:

I also find Gayle's new avatar very disturbing. :shock:

Thanks! Me too!
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:57 pm

I still make Ready Brek and eat it the same way I did when I was a kiddie.

Hot milk, in a bowl and I then eat it with my little finger, starting from the outside and working in, right down to the last gloopy drop :roll:

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:58 pm

Sherry wrote:I still make Ready Brek and eat it the same way I did when I was a kiddie.

Hot milk, in a bowl and I then eat it with my little finger, starting from the outside and working in, right down to the last gloopy drop :roll:

But... what is it? An oatmeal type product? Or other?

/me
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby /me » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:21 am

I can't enlarge the picture, but I swear it reads: Instant Hot Dog Cereal :puzzled:
Ooooh Flight of the Conchords! You're so big!

:comehere: Conchordians Unite! Join the FotC map!

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:24 am

/me wrote:I can't enlarge the picture, but I swear it reads: Instant Hot Dog Cereal :puzzled:

Oh! It reads Hot Oat Cereal! Got it!

/me
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby /me » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:25 am

Well, that's not very exciting. :waiting: :rolls:
Ooooh Flight of the Conchords! You're so big!

:comehere: Conchordians Unite! Join the FotC map!

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:25 am

I'll confess, I'm a little disappointed.

I kinda liked the idea of Hot Dog Cereal.

Return to “Off topic rambles”