New Zealand Fun Facts...

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Re: NZ Realtor in LV

Postby Sherry » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:17 pm

FanBase wrote:He also mentioned that gas prices in NZ are high with the price per gallon at about $6.50. Wow. :shock: He says you won't see big trucks like F150's and that you're likelier to see Corollas and other compact cars. Interesting. :geek:

Makes sense though. Its a much smaller place to get around. And the NZ'ers seem a very green eco aware nation overall.

beck
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby beck » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:34 am

Actually, as I found out the other night playing Trivial Pursuit, that a certain type of bat is New Zealand's only native mammal.

And yay, I have a Corolla.
"'I'm sorry' and 'I apologise' are the same...except at a funeral" - Demitri Martin

FanBase

Postby FanBase » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:45 am

beck wrote:Actually, as I found out the other night playing Trivial Pursuit, that a certain type of bat is New Zealand's only native mammal.

And yay, I have a Corolla.

My very first car was a Corolla. Excellent car. :D

What's the conversion rate to US dollars nowadays Beck? It bugs me that I didn't remember what the realtor said. :roll:
"That's not a fan base, that's just a woman."

beck

Postby beck » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:39 pm

Well, normally when the finance part is on the news, I change the channel because it is so freakin' boring. But I just looked it up, and apparently $1NZ = $0.80US around about.

I guess that's pretty high. And I did economics for two years at high school. Too bad I failed both years terribly.
"'I'm sorry' and 'I apologise' are the same...except at a funeral" - Demitri Martin

FanBase

Postby FanBase » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:42 am

beck wrote:Well, normally when the finance part is on the news, I change the channel because it is so freakin' boring. But I just looked it up, and apparently $1NZ = $0.80US around about.

I guess that's pretty high. And I did economics for two years at high school. Too bad I failed both years terribly.

:lol: I hear ya. Eco was my worst subject too. Thanks for the info.

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:00 am

$6.50 per gallon equates to just about $4.98 is US dollars. Ouch. I imagine it has a lot to do with being an island nation and importing oil must be very expensive. Europe/New Zealand is so far ahead of the US in terms of the auto industry. Well... really.. in terms of most things to be honest. From environmentalism to custodial work. It's amazing how far ahead.

The US is coming out with a Euro-style mini two-seater in January. I can see city dwellers and environmentalists going for it, but how will it play in the mid-west? (The eternal question). My guess is someone with a vested sum in oil (cough cough bush cough) will play it off as "unsafe" in spite of steel cage technology. I'd buy one though!!! I could park it anywhere! Even on top of another car and no one would know!!! :D
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

FanBase

Postby FanBase » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:51 am

Gayle wrote:$6.50 per gallon equates to just about $4.98 is US dollars. Ouch. I imagine it has a lot to do with being an island nation and importing oil must be very expensive. Europe/New Zealand is so far ahead of the US in terms of the auto industry. Well... really.. in terms of most things to be honest. From environmentalism to custodial work. It's amazing how far ahead.

The US is coming out with a Euro-style mini two-seater in January. I can see city dwellers and environmentalists going for it, but how will it play in the mid-west? (The eternal question). My guess is someone with a vested sum in oil (cough cough bush cough) will play it off as "unsafe" in spite of steel cage technology. I'd buy one though!!! I could park it anywhere! Even on top of another car and no one would know!!! :D

Ouch is right. Being originally from TX, everything had to be BIG and it was (still is) frustrating to listen to even my own family put down anything that's eco-friendly. :(

Another fun fact:

I love Fuji apples and on my last trip to the supermarket I took a look at the sticker on the apple and found out is was grown in New Zealand. I was grinning from ear to ear. :D Good on NZ for protecting their pristine country (and for making delicious apples :wink: ).

FanBase

Postby FanBase » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:54 am

Oh...and Gayle, that's a shame that 133% of all people struggle with fractions. :rolleyes:

Katie

Postby Katie » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:57 am

It seems that gas will not be far off from $4.98 soon here. It's about $3.10 here.

Also, I'm confused by your comment of how this car will do in the midwest. What do you mean by it?

cassandrasnow
Consistently Mediocre

Re: NZ Realtor in LV

Postby cassandrasnow » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:44 am

FanBase wrote:He also mentioned that gas prices in NZ are high with the price per gallon at about $6.50. Wow. :shock: He says you won't see big trucks like F150's and that you're likelier to see Corollas and other compact cars. Interesting. :geek:

I just got out my conversion tables, and 1 gallon (US) = 3.7854118 Litres. Petrol (what Australians call gas :wink: ) is about $1.30 a litre. So, the petrol in NZ would be about $1.70. Yeah, that's a bit pricey.

saffymatt

Postby saffymatt » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:12 pm

FanBase wrote: I love Fuji apples and on my last trip to the supermarket I took a look at the sticker on the apple and found out is was grown in New Zealand. I was grinning from ear to ear. :D Good on NZ for protecting their pristine country (and for making delicious apples :wink: ).

I have found some really good apples from NZ here at my local market. They were called NZ Rose and NZ Pink Lady. They are almost pink on the inside. Delicious New Zealand Goodness!!! :drool:
Set your Phasers on Funky!

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:35 pm

saffymatt wrote:
I have found some really good apples from NZ here at my local market. They were called NZ Rose and NZ Pink Lady. They are almost pink on the inside. Delicious New Zealand Goodness!!! :drool:

O dear. While I can understand your excitement, I worry about the cost to the enviroment (I'm a bit big on that :lol: )

I long ago stopped buying fruit and veg if it took lots of air miles to get here. I try to buy as local as I can as I just cannot justify buying apples flown from New Zealand when we have local British apples that taste as good also. I do occasionally falter and buy the odd fresh produce flown in, but try to avoid it where possible.

OK, everyone exports something, but I always find it odd to buy apples from so far away. And New Zealand has such a green eco friendly image :roll: I know people have to make a living but o for the days of buying local produce in season and done with it.

Erm, lol not meant to be a lecture, just an observation :D

cassandrasnow
Consistently Mediocre

Postby cassandrasnow » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:13 pm

I completely appreciate what you're saying, Sherry. My boy and I always make sure we buy local Australian produce when we're at the grocer or the supermarket. We always take fabric bags with us so we don't need plastic shopping bags.

We have Australian Pink Lady apples and they are really yummy. Pink Ladies are my favourite.

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:34 pm

Katie wrote:It seems that gas will not be far off from $4.98 soon here. It's about $3.10 here.

Also, I'm confused by your comment of how this car will do in the midwest. What do you mean by it?

It's a theatre saying... "But how will it play in the midwest?" When a show goes on tour from New York that's the question everyone asks!
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

Katie

Postby Katie » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:15 pm

Gayle wrote:
Katie wrote:It seems that gas will not be far off from $4.98 soon here. It's about $3.10 here.

It's a theatre saying... "But how will it play in the midwest?" When a show goes on tour from New York that's the question everyone asks!

Oh, I see. :lol: I guess I'm behind on my theatre knowledge! :P

Sherry - I completely agree, that is the first thing I thought of when I read that. I was watching this television special a couple of years ago on the discovery channel, and they were talking about how much CO2 is released into the atmosphere for every ship that carries fruits and vegetables from other countries to the U.S. It could relate to any other country for that matter too. I usually buy locally, there's different farmers markets in town I'll stop and buy in season, otherwise there's usually always local produce in the supermarkets here.

Return to “Off topic rambles”