New Zealand Fun Facts...

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:41 pm

Dear Lord I hope his dreads don't get caught in the wheels but I'd like to be there to se it when it happens.

Pineapple
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Pineapple » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:28 pm

Johnnyp wrote:Dear Lord I hope his dreads don't get caught in the wheels but I'd like to be there to se it when it happens.

:lol:
'Along comes Michael... On his bicycle... Lookin' as cool as a Fisher and Paykel...'

dan
Lost but happy at sea

Postby dan » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:52 pm

This may have been mentioned already. There are a lot of pages in this thread, and I haven't read many of them.

there are no snakes in nz... not even in zoos.
what a hilarious misunderstanding...

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:48 pm

Must move to NZ! (I'm still a bit twitchy from my snake encounter last week.)

If you tell me you have no spiders, I'm on the first flight there!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Pineapple

Postby Pineapple » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:09 pm

indigo_jones wrote:Must move to NZ! (I'm still a bit twitchy from my snake encounter last week.)

Unfortunately there are spiders. Redbacks and whitetails spring to mind. But no tarantulas :lol: Come anyway?

'Along comes Michael... On his bicycle... Lookin' as cool as a Fisher and Paykel...'

dan
Lost but happy at sea

Postby dan » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:02 pm

Pineapple wrote:
indigo_jones wrote:Must move to NZ! (I'm still a bit twitchy from my snake encounter last week.)

Unfortunately there are spiders. Redbacks and whitetails spring to mind. But no tarantulas :lol: Come anyway?

We seem to get a lot near our place (and in it) not redbacks and whitetails fortunately but some pretty big and pretty ugly varieties. I grew up in Christchurch, and the spiders are far less numerous and far less intimidating down there. The warmer climate up here makes the difference I guess.

dan
Lost but happy at sea

Postby dan » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:18 pm

Pineapple wrote:Unfortunately there are spiders. Redbacks and whitetails spring to mind. But no tarantulas :lol: Come anyway?

and of course there's the native (and poisonous) katipo, which apparently exists, though no one I know has ever seen one!

I think its in the Lonely Planet that it says something like: "if you get bitten by one you'll be a legend, (most kiwis have never seen one) brag about it to all your friends before seeking medical attention!"

Pineapple

Postby Pineapple » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:52 am

dan wrote:I think its in the Lonely Planet that it says something like: "if you get bitten by one you'll be a legend, (most kiwis have never seen one) brag about it to all your friends before seeking medical attention!"

LOL sounds about right :lol: I've seen a whitetail before but that's it. Other than little daddy longlegs (there's probably a proper name for them).

Once in a computer class a big black spider fell right on my hand from the ceiling, I just about yanked the mouse out of its plug flicking my hand back.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:34 pm

I can handle the occassional spider (although our yard has been full of them the past few months; so much so that it's hard to walk around the yard without running into a massive spider web). The promise of no snakes whatsoever really appeals, though. In our yard alone, we've had the little green garden snakes (my most recent encounter), a huge black snake, and copperheads. I gather the black snakes tend to drive off the copperheads (which is good, since copperheads are one of the kinds you don't want to be bitten by), but I'd just prefer to have no snakes at all. I just don't like them, no matter how beneficial or non-poisonous they may be. To be fair, I generally feel that way about all reptiles and insects.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

beck

Postby beck » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:13 pm

Hey, check this out. It's about a very cute kiwi. You may have already seen this if you're up with new animations.

http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=20550
"'I'm sorry' and 'I apologise' are the same...except at a funeral" - Demitri Martin

Pineapple

Postby Pineapple » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:27 pm

Thank you for posting that Becks! I saw the end of it on Campbell Live and wanted to see the whole thing... it's a beautiful little animation. Our poor flightless birds.

beck

Postby beck » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:27 am

It's so adorable. I showed my sister who had a perplexed look on her face for the whole thing until it showed him falling off the cliff, then she was like "Aaaaw, so he's flying!!"
"'I'm sorry' and 'I apologise' are the same...except at a funeral" - Demitri Martin

Pineapple

Postby Pineapple » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:41 am

beck wrote:It's so adorable. I showed my sister who had a perplexed look on her face for the whole thing until it showed him falling off the cliff, then she was like "Aaaaw, so he's flying!!"

Yeah it took me a fair while to figure out what the little chap was doing :lol:

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:04 pm

7-time Motorcycle Roadracing World Champion Valentino Rossi races a car in the World Rally Championship in New Zealand.

http://www.crash.net/news_View~t~Rossi- ... 140295.htm

And finishes a respectable 11th place.

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:08 pm

Bit of You Tube wotsit.

Drive from Te Anau to Queenstown, New Zealand

Almost as good as being there :P Almost :roll:

Return to “Off topic rambles”