New Zealand Fun Facts...

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
cassandrasnow
Consistently Mediocre

Postby cassandrasnow » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:33 am

Just read on Wellington's page on Wikipedia...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellington%2C_New_Zealand

"The energy needs of Wellington are increasing: one new source is the wind, and a large farm is approved for that purpose. The project will consist of 70 turbines with a maximum capacity of 210 MW, just a few kilometres to the south-west of Wellington CBD, between Makara Beach and Cape Terawhiti."

I think this is really great. I wish Australia would do something like this. I remember when David Suzuki (the guy is my hero) was out here a few years ago and he couldn't believe what little solar power we actually utilise here - considering all the sun we get. It's great that New Zealand is looking to cleaner, renewable energy.

Katie

Postby Katie » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:14 am

Gah, I'm such a hypocrite. :roll: :lol:

Today I bought some kiwi at the store, and I usually try to buy produce locally [like I stated before] I get home and cut them up and on the sticker label it's from New Zealand. I kind of laughed and rolled my eyes at the same time, because It was almost right after I posted my response in this thread before.

... but to be fair to me, I suppose. There isn't many places in the U.S. that probably produce kiwi.

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:01 am

I've always preferred going direct to the source.

FanBase
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby FanBase » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:18 pm

Johnnyp wrote:I've always preferred going direct to the source.

:oops: I'm so ashamed. I bought the novelty apple from NZ. Excellent point on all counts. :sosad:
"That's not a fan base, that's just a woman."

roots66
New arrival

NZ '60s Garage Festival

Postby roots66 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:57 pm

I doubt very many of you are into '60s garage...a rather small, cultish scene of rabid cave-teens obsessed with the primitive side of '60s rock & roll. I just heard that there was a '60s garage fest in Auckland a week or so ago, at which a number of NZ's original practitioners reunited for a one-off gig and partied like it's 1966.

http://www.amplifier.co.nz/news/32979/w ... 589DFB7DFD

http://www.undertheradar.co.nz/utr/more ... ngs_07.utr

I was at a similar event in NYC called Cavestomp earlier in the month--it's just very cool to learn of something like this happening on the other side of the world! Now to find out when Radio New Zealand is planning to broadcast their supposed recordings of the show...

beck

Postby beck » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:30 am

There was a scary earthquake here on Thursday. The lights flickered and everything...very armageddon.
"'I'm sorry' and 'I apologise' are the same...except at a funeral" - Demitri Martin

Katie

Postby Katie » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:33 pm

beck wrote:There was a scary earthquake here on Thursday. The lights flickered and everything...very armageddon.

My mom told me about this last night! I'm glad you're okay.

beck

Postby beck » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:04 pm

I can't believe it made international news. Like, it was pretty big, but no one died or anything. Although it was the last thing that Gisborne shop-owners needed this close to Christmas. The city centre was evacuated and shut off because a couple of buildings were on the verge of collapsing.
"'I'm sorry' and 'I apologise' are the same...except at a funeral" - Demitri Martin

saffymatt

Postby saffymatt » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:27 am

I read it Thursdayon CNN.com, but it wasn't the top story and I almost missed it. I guess that because there was no death and just minor destruction than it didn't warrant front page news. I am glad to hear that all is well with you and yours. :D
Set your Phasers on Funky!

Katie

Postby Katie » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:45 am

Speaking of NZ and cnn.com ... I found this on the main page today. I'm not sure why it made front page, news must be slow today.

Bad Santas

saffymatt

Postby saffymatt » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:36 pm

"Hooligans" *hee hee* :P

The_Kiwi_Fruit
Keeping it funky

Postby The_Kiwi_Fruit » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:24 am

beck wrote:There was a scary earthquake here on Thursday. The lights flickered and everything...very armageddon.

oh yeah. I didn't even feel that earth quake. and i was in Hamilton at the time... which is closer to Gisbourne... so you would have thought i'd have felt it if peeople felt it in wellington. oh well *shrug*

earth quakes in there way are kinda excitting... gives you an adrenalin rush in away. although when the big one hits... it might not be so great. :?

poptartgirl
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby poptartgirl » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:42 pm

Computer speech recognition software program has difficulty with the NZ accent :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep73ne4JUr0
“We tell you lies, and if you laugh, they’re jokes.”

"all I wanted to say is "May I rock you ?"

saffymatt

Postby saffymatt » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:34 pm

That is just too funny!!! :roll2:

The_Kiwi_Fruit
Keeping it funky

Postby The_Kiwi_Fruit » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:38 am

I've been trying to buy an ipod classic. but every shop I've been to has been sold out. So I think wellington if not the intire country is suffering from a ipod classic drought. coz even the online order places said they were out of stock. So I'm beginning to doubt if there are even any in the country.

Return to “Off topic rambles”