Music discussion (bands/singers/gigs/albums....etc)

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Music discussion (bands/singers/gigs/albums....etc)

Postby Sherry » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:08 pm

I know we have one or two threads going that cover music and so on, but I thought a proper 'music thread' was the way forward, and to discuss here as we wish, in more detail, rather than in other threads on other subjects, that then veer into very off topic about music :lol:

Bands, music, singers, songwriters, the music industry, live gigs.... it can all go here :)

Sherry
Professional Blonde

James Blunt

Postby Sherry » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:11 pm

I can't recall which thread we discussed James Blunt (chances are in a fair few :lol: ) but as this is the music thread, I thought I should post this here.

The man sold enough albums in the US now to break the top 10 in the album charts. When you consider he chose not to market the record, and let it slip out here in the UK without the massive sales push, and afaik, has done the same in the US, to a lesser degree, I think its pretty impressive. It grew to become the best selling album here in the UK in 2005, having been released back in October 2004, which is when I bought it, and remains in the top 5 here even now. Word of mouth and the internet I am sure have played a big part in this mans success, and that the album continues to sell well speaks volumes. Its also a wake up call to the music industry, that decent artists don't always benifit from too much publicity to sell their records, and that sometimes, low key, not in your face, is the way forward to longer lasting sales. These crash into the charts one week, gone the next albums/singles/bands show that oversell is all well and good, but it does not often have the legs to sustain it. Quality speaks for itself IMHO and people are tired of being fobbed off with PopIdol crapola and so on.

Article says

Singer-songwriter James Blunt's debut, Back To Bedlam, has reached number nine in the US album sales chart - 16 weeks after its American release.

The CD sold more than 41,000 copies last week to rise four places in the chart, according to Nielsen Soundscan.

After its British release in October 2004, it topped the UK chart for nine weeks becoming 2005's best seller.

Read the rest here

On a similar note, the Arctic Monkeys have more or less outsold all the albums in the top 20 here this week combined! Talk about a debut album. This is mainly down to a huge internet buzz and following, live gigs and word of mouth in the run up to the album release this week.

Article reads

The Arctic Monkeys' album could become the fastest-selling debut album in recorded chart history, after selling more than 100,000 on its first day.

Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not sold 118,501 copies, outselling the rest of the top 20 albums combined.

It is expected to sell over 350,000 copies by the end of the week, breaking Hear'Say's five-year-old record.

Read the rest here

Listen/watch live stuff here

Personally, I love Mardy Bum off the CD, but the rest has to grow on me. Listening to it would help I guess, but I have yet to rip it :lol: The CD is still here looking at me since Monday morning :roll: I bought it having heard 4 tracks from the album, and liking what I had heard. I listened to it once in full, and then put on the Richard Ashcroft album, ripped it, and have been listening to that ever since :lol: More on him later 8)

jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby jm513 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:10 pm

I haven't heard of ANY of these artists......... :( Apparently I am going to have to do some music research.......
"I can't brain today - I haz teh dumb"

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:42 pm

I'm a bit late for this bandwagon I suppose...

Last night I heard for the first time Keane. All I can say is :heart:

I love the music, the VOICE, the style, the lyrics, all of it. Great stuff!!!!
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:48 pm

Just to prove to you that I can like guys with high voices. I guess the reason I don't have a problem with it is he doesn't seem to be doing it for effect. Its when it seems fake that I have a problem with it.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/st ... 76-0679159

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/st ... 76-0679159

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:54 pm

Nice, JP!

I :heart: Tom Chaplin's (Keane) voice because he is a legit tenor - there is nothing forced or affected about it - just clear and beautiful.

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:12 pm

The band The Mommyheads was fronted by Adam Cohen who later changed his name to Adam Elk because the son of Leonard Cohen is also named Adam Cohen. The last thing he recorded was in 1998 I hadn't even heard of him until around 2001. What became of him was a big mystery not very much info about him on the net after 2000. I do have good news of a sort though. Last month I actually made contact with Michael Holt the keyboard player from the Mommyheads. He is a very talented man in his own right. I have had a few emails from him and I've bought some of his CDs from this link

http://www.mommyheads.com/holt.html

Give this a listen its from Michaels first solo album after the Mommyheads broke up http://www.mommyheads.com/here-burning.mp3

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:23 pm

Gayle wrote:I'm a bit late for this bandwagon I suppose...

Last night I heard for the first time Keane. All I can say is :heart:

I love the music, the VOICE, the style, the lyrics, all of it. Great stuff!!!!

All done with a set of drums, a keyboard and a voice. They are good. I have their stuff on CD. Big news over here for a few years now. Amazing voice that does not overpower the music.

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:34 pm

Sherry wrote:All done with a set of drums, a keyboard and a voice. They are good. I have their stuff on CD. Big news over here for a few years now. Amazing voice that does not overpower the music.

Agreed about the voice - wow. Once or twice I was reminded of a young Bono and a few times heard a little Freddy Mercury, but still unique. Lovely.

It's not often you find pop music that is piano based instead of guitar based. Elton was the last great rock keyboardist as far as I know. But Keane has achieved an incredibly rich sound.

I'm a little miffed tbh. The spouse said he's had that cd for about a year now, and I just heard it last night. Grrrrrrrr... toad.

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:51 pm

Looks to me like between Sherry and your spouse Gayle you are so yesterday :P

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:24 am

Johnnyp wrote:Looks to me like between Sherry and your spouse Gayle you are so yesterday :P

I know!! I've never been the kind of person to actively seek out new music - it either crosses my path or doesn't. When I hear "new" music, I should just automatically assume that everyone else has heard them and they are world famous and have won hundreds of awards for decades. That seems to be the trend. :D

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:18 am

Oddly enough I thought the same thing when I first heard the Mommyheads. Nobody I've ever mentioned them to has ever heard of them.

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:13 am

Two words...

1. Martin
2. Sexton

Martin Sexton... :prayer:

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:16 am

Two words

1. Harry
2. Hamlin

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:18 am

Let loose the Kraken!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Return to “Off topic rambles”