Music discussion (bands/singers/gigs/albums....etc)

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
poptartgirl
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby poptartgirl » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:37 pm

Watching and listening to the Crowded House footage from the Live Earth concert ; what a fantastic performance :D

http://entimg.msn.com/i/ExperienceData/ ... dney&ch=70
“We tell you lies, and if you laugh, they’re jokes.”

"all I wanted to say is "May I rock you ?"

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:01 am

They showed their entire show yesterday on line, what a fantastic show! They lost the power for the stage lighting during a song toward the end of the show, but they just kept on playing, another 3 songs I believe. It was really cool to see Liam on stage with them. :yay:

Peter Garrett came out to introduce them(I knew he was in politics but was unaware he was a PM. Good for him.), and said something about Crowded House being the soundtrack of our life. Speaking for myself, they are a huge part of my soundtrack. I might be telling my age, but the first time I saw Crowded House was on May 1, 1987(I looked up my ticketstub to make sure of the date). Their live shows have always been so fantastic and Neil's voice still gives me goosebumps. :lalala:

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:37 pm

I saw the last few songs they did at the Live Earth concert and loved it. I need to go back and track down the rest of the performance.

I also saw them back in the '80s. I think it might have been in 1986 (don't have any ticket stubs left). I do have video of it, though, as it was a concert they did for MTV's spring break in Daytona Beach, so I got to see it again when they aired it!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:55 pm

Yes, the 80's, when we were just 10- right Indigo?
:nod: <<<just smile and nod>>

Liam is hanging round the back playing the acoustic guitar. Too bad he has his grizzly Adams beard thing happening. I would love have seen if there was a resemblance with Daddy Neil. He was running around here in Austin last SXSW. He didn't have an official gig, just a bunch of pirate shows, but didn't get to catch him. :(

poptartgirl

Postby poptartgirl » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:48 pm

I was a fan of CH back in '87 but I blew my chance to see them in concert that year by telling my mother that I wanted to get a ticket see the opening act (at the time, CH were supporing Bruce Hornsby and The Range :shock: ) :lol: .
I had to wait until 1991 to see them. I remember seeing them on Fri, the 13th and it was also the night before a couple of my semester final exams. Fortunately for me, the concert was amazing and I did well on those exams despite my lack of sleep :rolleyes: :lol: .

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:48 pm

tvldiva wrote:Yes, the 80's, when we were just 10- right Indigo?
:nod: <<<just smile and nod>>

We were mere babies! ;)

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

poptartgirl

Postby poptartgirl » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:35 am

indigo_jones wrote:I saw the last few songs they did at the Live Earth concert and loved it. I need to go back and track down the rest of the performance.

I also saw them back in the '80s. I think it might have been in 1986 (don't have any ticket stubs left). I do have video of it, though, as it was a concert they did for MTV's spring break in Daytona Beach, so I got to see it again when they aired it!

Ah....memories !

I remember watching that concert ; I'm still a huge fan but there was something really special about their early days as a band :D .

homeworkwithheather
Giving the paper to the people

Postby homeworkwithheather » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:33 am

Just got back from The Police concert....it was alright...they slowed down the shows....it had a weird vibe...I'm glad I didn't pay 125 for tickets...it was cool to see Stewart Copeland...I met him 5 years ago at a Trey Anastasio show in Vegas...he was super nice...well I made an ass out of myself...but he was very gracious...

anyone else seen them this tour?
"Hey guys, remember that time he got his hand caught in that jar? What a dick! I mean...who gets their hand caught in a jar? What a big blooming asshole he was!"

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:03 pm

I noticed during their Live Earth performance that songs that were originally 2-3 minutes long were lasting much much longer. It didn't really work for me, as I think one of their original strengths was their punk/pop vibe; now they seem a bit more pretentious punk/pop. ;)

beck
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby beck » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:11 am

I'm going to use this opportunity to plug my friends band. Check out their myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/colonelmustardwellington

I think they rule, and maybe you will too.
"'I'm sorry' and 'I apologise' are the same...except at a funeral" - Demitri Martin

poptartgirl

Postby poptartgirl » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:40 am

Crowded House performing on KCRW Morning Becomes Eclectic

Enjoy :D

http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs/mb/m ... wded_house

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:45 pm

Hey just a reminder to you folks down in the Austin area. The band I play in will be down at Gruene Hall this Friday with The Derailers. We go on at 8:00.

www.gruenehall.com
www.myspace.com/tejasbrothers

Katie

Postby Katie » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:25 am

Well since I'm new to posting here, I will post my musical interests.

The Doors
The Smiths and Morrissey's solo stuff
The Who
David Bowie
The Rolling Stones
Simon and Garfunkel
Bob Dylan
Coldplay
The Cure
CSN&Y [Crosby Stills Nash and Young]
Jack Johnson
Kings of Leon
Oasis
The Streets
Tom Petty
Sublime

and other random 60's - 90's music.

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:22 am

Screw clapping with your hands. This guy has taken them to the next level
www.youtube.com/user/gunecologist

poptartgirl

Postby poptartgirl » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:03 pm

Recommending a Dallas based singer and songwriter, Salim Nourallah.
If you like Neil Finn, Rhett Miller, and Jeff Tweedy, you might like Salim's tunes.

http://www.salimnourallah.com
http://www.myspace.com/salim

Return to “Off topic rambles”