The Theatre...

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

The Theatre...

Postby Andria » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:15 am

Did you go to a performance of something that was particularly good? Spectacular? Hilarious?

Last night, I saw the most amusing ballet...ever! ;)
Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo
If you have the opportunity of going to see them, do!

Imagine - Male ballerinas, fully equipped with the tights, tutus, and pointe shoes. Still can't? How about this:

These dancers then proceed to do a classic ballet act, but with a comedic twist. A few examples - 'cat' fights break out, then the dancers quickly resume their proper poses as if nothing has happened. One dancer sneaked off stage and came back eating an apple, when it was his time to dance he chucked the apple core off stage and performed his set chewing the last bite of said apple.

My favorite set of the evening was entitled The Dying Swan. The dancer had a tutu of feathers that proceeded to shed the entire number. The neat thing about this troupe is they can actually dance and they are professionally trained, but they have chosen to do it comically.

Here is a little blurb taken from here
The original concept of LES BALLETS TROCKADERO DE MONTE CARLO has not changed since its inception. It is a Company of professional male dancers performing the full range of the ballet and modern dance repertoire, including classical and original works in faithful renditions of the manners and conceits of those dance styles. The comedy is achieved by incorporating and exaggerating the foibles, accidents, and underlying incongruities of serious dance. The fact that men dance all the parts--heavy bodies delicately balancing on toes as swans, sylphs, water sprites, romantic princesses, angst-ridden Victorian ladies--enhances rather than mocks the spirit of dance as an art form, delighting and amusing the most knowledgeable, as well as novices, in the audiences. For the future, there are plans for new works in the repertoire: new cities, states and countries to perform in; and for the continuation of the TROCKs' original purpose: to bring the pleasure of dance to the widest possible audience. They will, as they have done for thirty years, “Keep on Trockin'".

If you are interested, amazon.com has DVDs available. :D
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

/me
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby /me » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:06 am

I think I have seen some of this on Ovation. I found it quite intriguing. Hmm, I should see if it's going to be on again any time soon, maybe I can catch the whole thing.
Ooooh Flight of the Conchords! You're so big!

:comehere: Conchordians Unite! Join the FotC map!

Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Deirdre » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:20 am

It sounds really great Andria. Unfortunately I doubt they will be coming to Tulsa. Although we did have the Vagina Monologues here. :shock:

I'll have to get a DVD or hope they are playing somewhere that I travel to. Thanks for the recommendation.

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:18 am

I got to see them when I lived in Sarasota... absolutely brilliant. I loved them! :D :D :D
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:45 am

Yay! Someone else who saw Trockadero. :D They are coming to OH soon, Gayle...;)
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:00 am

Hurrah!!! I will definately have to check them out again. I just remember laughing until my sides hurt and tears were streaming down my face. So great.

Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Deirdre » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:21 am

Lucky ducks! Any chance they will be in Austin, say in March? :rolls:

I crack myself up. :|

I'll actually be in NY the 3rd week in March. By chance, would they be there then? :callme:

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:04 pm

/me wrote:I think I have seen some of this on Ovation. I found it quite intriguing. Hmm, I should see if it's going to be on again any time soon, maybe I can catch the whole thing.

I saw that Ovation program, too. I'll have to see if they're coming around here. I'd like to see them.

ETA: Nope, they're sticking with the Northeast. Oh well.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:43 pm

There's an exciting bit of fun theatre coming to Cincinnati - Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood are gracing us with their presence for an evening of improvised tomfoolery a la Who's Line...

They'll be performing at the "other" ( :evil: ) theatre that we manage (the Aronoff Center) downtown.

Indy, perhaps this is something your friends would interested in? They can go to www.cincinnatiarts.org for details.

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:10 pm

Colin kills me :lol:

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:27 pm

Johnnyp wrote:Colin kills me :lol:

Me too - I think he just hilarious. I am definately going to catch this one and will report back to the WTF troups!

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:22 pm

awh, that particular act is coming to the same theatre that I saw Trockadero at - but it is sold out! :cry: Darn advanced ticket sales!

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:39 pm

*sigh* Another show that isn't coming anywhere near me.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Amaria
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Amaria » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:07 pm

Is Who's Line out on DVD yet? I freakin' loved that show.

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:17 am

Amaria wrote:Is Who's Line out on DVD yet? I freakin' loved that show.

It doesn't look like it's been released on DVD yet... However, this site is campaigning to make that happen.

Return to “Off topic rambles”