Design My Way

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Design My Way

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:56 pm

Everyone has their own style of home decorating. Show off your work here, and feel free to post links to DIY sites and such, as well, if you're so inclined. Tutorials and tips are also welcome.

I'm very much a DIY person, probably the result of lack of funds and a love of drawing, painting and creating. Plus, my dad is definitely the type that says, "Oh! I can do that!", which has rubbed off on me. Why pay someone when you can do it yourself!

Show us your rooms!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:18 pm

Great idea!! :D :D :D I'm going to have to fix the camera now. :puzzled:
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:39 pm

Here is my kitchen a week after we moved in and before we put in all of the new stuff. That's me cleaning up mouse poo. NOT HAPPY. The problem has since been dealt with.

Here are some dressers I painted:

I do a lot of little detail painty things like that. It makes me happy on those dull nights when there's nothing good on tv.

Spammy
Giving the paper to the people

Postby Spammy » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:50 pm

*applauds* Such pretty birdies.
I enjoy being constructive but I usually start something and get distracted by something else. So nothing gets done.
"You see a peanut, the day's off to a good start. You witness some soil, it's a jamboree for Vince Noir" - Howard Moon - The Mighty Boosh

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:28 am

OK I know some of you have alreay seen this onthe NZ thread but here it is again. The cabinets with the cathedral shaped windows used to be stained dark brown and also had some cheap amber colored platic stuff in them. Routed out the back of the doors and properly fit "sycamore" glass in them. The large island with the cooktop was not there. It was a small bar type piece of crap. The cooktop used to be in the area below the microwave. I had also refinish the fronts of the dishwashing machine and the oven doors. The dishwasher was black. Took them trim off and there was an insert that was white on the other side but it was pretty nasty. So I found a similar plastic but still had to paint it white. The oven doors were actually a very light cream color and I thought they might still be OK but after all the real white was there they really stood out in a bad way. So I took the doors apart and repainted them with white BBQ grill paint. Done.
Last edited by Johnnyp on Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:29 am

Yes Gayle sorry forgot to mention I like your birdies. 8)

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:41 am

Johnnyp wrote:Yes Gayle sorry forgot to mention I like your birdies. 8)

Hee hee... and I like your kitchen!

I'm going to try to fix my camera and get a more recent photo of my kitchen. It doesn't really look like the photo I put on the NZ thread any longer.

jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby jm513 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:05 am

I'll put some pics in here after I clean *ahem*......so I'll be a bit behind the times this weekend :lol:
Last edited by jm513 on Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I can't brain today - I haz teh dumb"

jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby jm513 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:08 am

JP - I LOVE your kitchen!! I have a thing for blue and yellow together. I don't know what it is but that has always been one of my absolute favorite color combinations. Right now my kitchen is yellow and my accent wall in the living room is a cobalt blue (the two are open to eachother). I'm not really happy with it though. The kitchen is a somewhat soft yellow and the blue is BLUE but I refuse to repaint again. The next room I paint (again) will be my bedroom. I wanted to do that before Mike got home but I can't move the furniture. It probably won't get done b/c he is beyond tired of me painting, we'll see.......

Gayle - the birds are adorable!! I would never have the patience to do something like that - its very cool!

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:42 am

OK...

I need some opinions here - I hope I've come to the right place.
(Assuming everything works out and I end up staying here) What color do you think I should paint the exterior of the house. It's brown right now, and blends in too much with the stone part of the house. I'd like it to really stand out. The spouse want's it to stand out a little.

I want to paint it a deep barn red.
He wants to paint it a mossy green.

What do you think?

Here it is. Not the best photo, so I circled the part in question:

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:26 am

I need a bigger picture before I give any opinions on what to paint your house Gayle. hmmm We've got red brick with a very soft creamy yellow on the exterior.

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:57 am

How about now?

jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby jm513 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:16 pm

That's a tough question. My immediate response was the red - it would pop in the landscape as well. But, there are a few houses in my neighborhood that are a moss green and I love it. I however live in Edward Scissorhands land, so there isn't really and landscape to speak of to pop out against.....Is there any trim that you would paint another color?

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:38 pm

jm513 wrote:That's a tough question. My immediate response was the red - it would pop in the landscape as well. But, there are a few houses in my neighborhood that are a moss green and I love it. I however live in Edward Scissorhands land, so there isn't really and landscape to speak of to pop out against.....Is there any trim that you would paint another color?

The trim would be painted white - a traditional color with the barn red, and the trim and front door of the stone part of the house would be barn red. I've seen a stone house similar to mine with the trim painted those colors and it looks good.

If we go with moss green, the trim would be more of a cream color, with moss green trim and door on the stone part of the house.

It is tricky. Not that I don't have other things I should be worrying about... but this kind of thing is more fun.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:43 pm

Tough call. I think both could look good. Plus, I keep thinking of a deep kind of midnight blue.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Return to “Off topic rambles”