War Wounds

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Gayle
Cool Nipples!

War Wounds

Postby Gayle » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:15 am

As human beings, we love to show our scars and tell the story about the time in the fourth grade when we glued that penny in our nose.

Discussing a common penicillin allergy with Indy, I thought it might be fun to "show" those scars and tell those stories here.

Here's an example:

When I was little and living in Mass., I was playing on a swing set with my friends Kerry and Karen Mamony(twins). We were standing behind the swing set, and they were pushing the plastic one-seater swings, while I was pushing the big, heavy, two-seater metal swing. Someone called my name, I turned, and was struck in the head by the swing. I had blood streaming down my front. But I walked home, stepped into the kitchen, and saw my father who's back was to me.

I said, "Daddy, I cut my head." He turned around, saw me (I looked quite like Carrie at the prom), he turned sheet white, and passed out cold.

My mother walked in the kitchen. Looked at me, and without missing a beat, stepped over my Dad and said, "You get dinner ready. I'm taking your daughter to the hospital."

OK - Your turn!!!! :D
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:32 am

I haven't been injured very often. Too careful as a child I guess. :) One minor mishap I do remember is on a little sledding trip.

A friend and I decided we wanted to go sledding on this big snow pile a few blocks from her house. She lived in a wooded area with lots of trees with sharp needles and branches. We were around 10-12, but obviously not very smart about such things. :roll:

Well, we went up and down the hill a few times, then on one particular descent we went rather close to a tree. My head brushed a low hanging branch. Wouldn't ya know it, a branch poked right through my ear! Was very pleasant, truly. :lol:

My ear is fine now. No damage that I can see, but I remember the trip fondly. :D
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

/me
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby /me » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:33 am

Gayle, that is just hilarious (your mother, that is, and dad for that matter) :mrgreen:

I was a VERY careful child as well (okay, chicken :chick: <must be used whenever one gets the chance), so no broken bones here or anything, but I do have two particular incidences.

I was playing baseball once with the neighborhood kids, and me and the boy down the street got into a fight over who was next to bat. He eventually wrestled the bat from me and then proceeded to whack me over the head with it (thankfully aluminum). I can still remember the reverberating Gonnnnnng! sound.

Then, once in 6th grade I remember wandering around with a friend one Halloween night. Unfortunately, we came across some unsavory types who were in the process of egging houses and decided to turn on us. We ran for our lives, but while running I chanced a look behind me and when I turned back around, I nailed a tree trunk dead on. Knocked myself clean out for maybe 5 minutes. (My friend thought I was dead). Then I ran the rest of the way home bawling my eyes out to find the cutest, I mean CUTEST, boy in school at my house (first ever crush). Apparently his older brother was hanging out with my older brother and he was tagging along. Naturally my brother had to make things worse by mockign and teasing me, thus causing me to cry even more. So humiliating but funny now.

Actually, it's funny how many incidences in my life resemble a slapstick comedy or Looney Tunes cartoon.

And that, my friends, is why I am this way. :bounce:
Ooooh Flight of the Conchords! You're so big!

:comehere: Conchordians Unite! Join the FotC map!

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:35 am

/me wrote:And that, my friends, is why I am this way. :bounce:

Oooooh, now I understand...:D
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:25 am

I was another really careful one and didn't end up with any major injuries. My worst experiences were when I was at my grandparents' house, fishing off the dock and I was reaching for the fish hook and hooked my thumb completely through. I was so shocked by it that I ripped it clean out. It must not have been too deep, because all I needed was a band aid.

The other two times I tempted fate were when I swallowed some of my dad's photo developing chemicals accidentally (I spit it out very quickly) and when I got shocked trying to plug in a very old fan (the cord was frayed). Outside of that, nothing too traumatic.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Spammy
Giving the paper to the people

Postby Spammy » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:35 am

I've never broken a bone. Again, another careful one here.
I have one story that I can think of that could have been potentially very bad.
I was about 7 and had one of those kebab things on a stick. I'd finished it and put the stick in the paper bag it came in and being a kid began to blow up the bag. My idiot dad who I was with at the time and who had bought me the kebab thought he'd be funny and pop the bag from the end pushing the skewer into the soft skin at the back of my throat. Luckily there was only a little bit of blood and now a scar that I can feel with my tongue.

I did manage to hurt myself the other day. I went to tell Mummy-Wummy that I am going to the zoo on Saturday and threw my arms up. I was in the narrow hallway at the time and whammed my elbow really hard into the wall.
I am always in pain in one way or another.
"You see a peanut, the day's off to a good start. You witness some soil, it's a jamboree for Vince Noir" - Howard Moon - The Mighty Boosh

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:15 pm

As a born klutz, I'm impressed by the lack of mishaps being reported. While a child, I did everything in my power - and a few things out of my control - to get myself killed. The list is extensive and, though this version is abbreviated, you might marvel at the fact that I am yet living:

Age One - Typhoid

Age Two - 2nd birthday, riding tricycle around pool, fell into half full murky water, pulled out of water by sister. Got extra cake at party.

Age Four - attacked by German Shephard/Husky at back of head. 32 stitches. Very scary, though still love dogs. - Playing with brothers in back yard, popped open aforementioned stitches. Eeeeiiiuuwww.

Age Ten - House burns down (not responsible).

Age Eleven - Slam finger in latch of sliding mini-van door. Get yelled at by mean lady for dripping blood on white carpet. Witch. Two stitches. Wore "banana" on finger and showed everyone in school. Cool.

Age Twelve - Jamb finger on soft ball. Swells to size of softball. - Execute back-flip into pool, crack front tooth on cement edge of pool.

Age Fourteen - Fall off stage during dance class. Bruised ego, no injuries.

Age Sixteen - Slam foot in car door. Resilient youthfulness saves foot.

Age Seventeen - Sister, driving me to school, slams into back of car. Bruised forehead. Ego in tact.

Age Eighteen - Jamb finger on Lydia. Swells to size of Lydia. - Whack head on "dugout" roof while running onstage. Bruised ego and forehead. - Pain in right leg. Brilliant physician pumps me full of toxic waste until veins glow - takes photos. Does not find clot he suspects is cause of pain. Sends me away with cold pack. Months later, family doctor glances at leg and mutters "Stress fracture." Pumped full of toxic waste. Finds stress fracture. Too late to treat it.

Age Twenty - Foot caught in revolving set. Stepped on nail. Sprained ankle. - Passed out from low blood-sugar into comfy chair (nice bit of luck). - Climbed down ladder, stepped into bucket of paint, resprained ankle.

Age Twenty-One - Exiting stage at end of show, bounced off edge of open door. Bruised ego and forehead. Permanent divet begins to develope.

Ages Twenty - Thirty - various accidents not worthy of mention.

Age Thirty-Three- Broad sided by another car. Bumps and bruises, no serious injuries. Killed car. - A few month later, while evading an oncoming out of control car on icy road, new car strikes telephone pole, head-on, driver's side. Bumps and bruises, no serious injuries. Didn't care because of beautiful bronzed and brawny calendar worthy firemen tending to me. Killed new car.

At this rate, I figure I will die in this manner: Burst into flames while falling from a great height into icy water.

jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby jm513 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:47 am

Hmmmmmmm......let's see - when I was in kindergarden I used to fall off the merry-go-round at least once a week and totally bust my knees open - still have some knarly scars on my knees from that.

When I was in 8th grade I fractured my ankle in a number of places playing king on the hill - my foot was green and the size of a melon by the time i got to the hospital. I have re-fractured that same ankle at least 4 times since. My favorite time was New Years Eve when I was 20. Some friends had a party and we all got dolled up. The house they lived in had some VERY steep stairs. Well, I had a few too many drinks and those stairs and my heels were not getting along. I went head first down the stairs, flipped who knows how many times and .......*drum roll please*.......NEVER SPILLED MY BEER!!! I jumped up screaming "I didn't spill my beer!!" and kept right on going through the evening. I somehow made it home (don't really want to think about how I did that) and woke up the next morning screaming for my dad (who I lived with at the time) because my leg hurt so badly and when he got in he about fainted b/c there was the green melon again. Crutches 5 times for that foot so far. I keep a spare set around the house.

I broke my tail bone when I was 16 - now THERE is a totally busted ego for you!! That was HORRIBLE! And they can't do anything for a tailbone except give you pills and a donut. I had to lay on my stomach for almost 2 weeks then I got to sit on a donut pillow for awhile. To this day I can't sit on hard surfaces for a long period of time b/c of how the break healed.

There are numerous little things, I could type all day probably. However, the war wound I am most proud of is my C-section scar - that was a battle worth having.......say it with me people ..""aaaawwwwweee..." :lol:
"I can't brain today - I haz teh dumb"

kneedragger
Half a shapely halibut

Postby kneedragger » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:51 am

Damn, Gayle and yet you're still with us!! :? :shock: :rolleyes:

When I was five, I crashed my scooter (not the last time I crashed on two wheels! :bang: ) I split my forehead open and had to go to the hospital. For some reason the Doctor had no painkiller, so I got to grit my teeth and get sewed up with nothing for the pain. Toughens you up! Eh, Gayle!?!

Sean
"What kind of rapping name is STEVE!"

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:10 am

kneedragger wrote:Damn, Gayle and yet you're still with us!! :? :shock: :rolleyes:

When I was five, I crashed my scooter (not the last time I crashed on two wheels! :bang: ) I split my forehead open and had to go to the hospital. For some reason the Doctor had no painkiller, so I got to grit my teeth and get sewed up with nothing for the pain. Toughens you up! Eh, Gayle!?!

Sean

Ow, yow, ouch... yikes... wow. Toughens you up is right!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: But then, if you go by the handle of "Kneedragger" toughness is sort of implied, yes?!?!

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:49 am

I heard Gayle is part cat.

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:50 am

It's true. The part that keeps my feet on the ground and my luck intact.

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:54 am

Oh oh! I thought of another one!

At my second birthday party I was leaning over the cake to blow out my candles and my bangs caught on fire. Despite being only two, I had a lot of hair. Luckily only my bangs went poof and the rest of my head of hair was okay.

Not the most exciting, but it does have fire in it! :mrgreen:

Gayle you are lucky that you are still out and about. Amazing, woman!
And, Jess - :clap: never spilled your beer! That is actually kind of freaky.

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:32 am

Andria wrote:And, Jess - :clap: never spilled your beer! That is actually kind of freaky.

Its not freaky Andria, its a disease called alcoholism.

jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby jm513 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:17 pm

Johnnyp wrote:
Andria wrote:And, Jess - :clap: never spilled your beer! That is actually kind of freaky.

Its not freaky Andria, its a disease called alcoholism.

I have been called many things in my life - alcoholic has never been one of them........did I have my hardcore party days - absolutely. Does that mean I am addicted to anything I ever tried? Well, aside from cigs - nope.
"I can't brain today - I haz teh dumb"

Return to “Off topic rambles”