The Comic Strip

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

The Comic Strip

Postby Sherry » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:49 pm

The Bloke and I share a fondness for comic strips. We both have some we read on a regular basis. And ones we stumble across and then spead the next week reading the previous 16 years worth of cartoons :shock: Dilbert is a personal favourite of us both. I also enjoy Andy Capp on occasions. Quite British.

Anyways, is there anything you subscribe to online. Comic, cartoon or humour wise. I also read bash.org, B3ta and rathergood.com (none are for the fainthearted) I tend to skip the base stuff that any moron can come up with on bash.org though. Joel Veitch over at rathergood.com is a bit of a gem, and is making a name for himself with ad campaigns for certain companies also. And B3ta is just insane :shock: It should come with a health warning.

Anyways, got any good comic strip stuff to share? Have you savewd to file a classic strip and want to share? Or just an insanely amusing site to while away and read? Post it here (not to confuse this thread with the 'Sites we like and want to share' thead. This is pure comic strip/cartoon and well funny stuff) Just leave a health warning if some might find it offensive :roll:

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:52 pm

A couple of Dilbert's that still have me laughing.

And in case people missed it and have not read My Corner on the main site, check out the Spongemonkeys. Sound needed.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:02 pm

The only one I read regularly anymore is Get Fuzzy. I found out about it a few years ago when I was working for a pet magazine and got a book of the strip in for review. The title of the book is "The Dog Is Not a Toy". It made me laugh when I first saw it, and since then, I've found myself saying that very thing to my own cats. The current story with Bucky Katt dressing Satchel the dog as Darth Vadar is particularly amusing to me, as we joking call one of our cats Darth Gatto.

I used to read Kevin & Kell, too, but somehow got out of the habit. I should get back into that one. It's an entertaining take on predatory animals and the world of computers.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:32 pm

As a kid I was a huge fan of Bloom County. Bill the Cat is a hero of mine. When I find myself in a tight spot, I think, "What would Bill do?" The answer is always, "Ack."
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:14 pm

I loved Bloom County. For a while I actually cut out the strip from the paper each day for my own collection. I've got a fair number of the books and to this day, when I see one of my cats with her leg up in the air as she's "grooming", I think of Bill.

There was one Sunday strip that I liked in particular, where Opus was quoting poetry about the rapture of flight as he was about to go off a cliff on a hang glider. His last line in the panel was "Lo! I am ruptured!"

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby jm513 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:25 am

I Love Dilbert! I think that anyone who works/has ever worked in an office atmosphere can find the humor there! I also love Calvin and Hobbes and the Far Side. I have the complete collections of both and pick them up whenever I need a good laugh=-)
"I can't brain today - I haz teh dumb"

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:33 am

I remember a huge book of New York Times cartoons we had around the house. The best cartoons were by Chas Addams - creator of the Addams family.

4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:35 am

One of my favorite Far Side cartoons was the one of the kid going into the Gifted Kids school pushing on the door that was marked pull. That one struck very close to home. :oops:

fawad-oh-so-prescient
Keeping it funky

right on

Postby fawad-oh-so-prescient » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:54 am

indigo: bloom county was great. loved that one. got a bunch of the book collections of it. awesome. hilarious. berkley breathed rules(d).

Kate
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Kate » Thu May 04, 2006 10:07 pm

I am a big fan of Non-Sequitur. The Danae character is a mouthy, opinionated, 8-going-going-on-80 hellian that I adore. (Aren't mouthy opinionated girls great? :lol: )

The last week or so, there has been a running storyline (the NS toons are not always about Danae) of Danae starting up her own religion. ANd today's made me laugh, so I thought I'd share it with you. The link is so, if you want to catch up on the story, you can (just click on any date, and you can see the strip for that day):

http://www.ucomics.com/nonsequitur/

Enjoy!

Return to “Off topic rambles”