Cover Tunes

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
/me
Registered Rhymnecologist

Cover Tunes

Postby /me » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:29 pm

I just heard the most bizarre cover tune. Think a cross between Leonard Cohen and Bruce Springsteen doing Kylie Minogue's "I Can't Get You Out of My Head." Vewwwy Intevesting! Anyway, I thought since we all are such big fans of music, fave cover tunes might make a good topic (or not, lol).

I'm usually not a fan of cover tunes because bands often don't shake it up enough to make it their own, which makes me wonder what the heck the point was in the first place? However, if they are done right, I might actually like it better than the original. indigo mentioned one of my favorites before, Travis' cover of Britney Spears's "Baby, One More Time." I also always really dug the Talking Heads version of "Take Me to the River." How about you guys?
Ooooh Flight of the Conchords! You're so big!

:comehere: Conchordians Unite! Join the FotC map!

Kate
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Kate » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:05 am

Ever hear The Dan Band's "Total Eclipse of the Heart"? It is hysterical!

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:09 am

Raspberry Beret by Austin's own The Derailers. It was a hidden track on their Reverb Deluxe CD. It was added to the end of a song called Come Back.

Go HERE

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:29 am

JP - the creatures of habit video... classic. Very nice!
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:05 am

I don't know if its because I've been in the glass business so long but I almost always use the bar to open the door. hmmm

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:15 pm

Sting does an excellent version of Mack the Knife. Nick Cave did a cover of Serge Gainsborough's Nor Do I, which is both fantastic and hysterical. I'm also fond of Afghan Whigs' version of The Temple. Like /me, I also enjoy Talking Heads' version of Take Me To the River. We were discussing the greatness of Talking Heads just last night.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

/me

Postby /me » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:31 pm

If anybody was interested, the Kylie Minogue cover was by Catman Cohen (no idea of any relation to Leonard).

Thanks for that tune, JP! The song Come Back was very good too.

And Sting doing Mack the Knife, an excellent version of Mack the Knife even. Now I have to track that down!
Ooooh Flight of the Conchords! You're so big!

:comehere: Conchordians Unite! Join the FotC map!

fawad-oh-so-prescient
Keeping it funky

man in black

Postby fawad-oh-so-prescient » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:57 am

Johnny Cash's resurgent American Recordings cd's were full of fantastic covers. just incredible stuff. jeff buckley's "Haleluja" is a well-known cover. alien ant farm's "Smooth Criminal" was a fun tribute to the erstwhile king of pop.

there's a spanish/english singer called J.D. Natasha, teenaged accoustic/rocker, does a great version of outkaste's "Hey Ya.' saw her do it live once. was fun. oh and on one of my nieces' disney party cd's (all of which are new pop acts doing covers of old disney songs) there's actually a pretty soaring rendition of the Kamehameha Schools Children's Chorus' "Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride" from the Lilo & Stitch movie by some teen singing group called Jump 5.

also, the anime neon genesis evangelion would have various japanese jazz and pop songstresses doing different versions of Frank Sinatra's "Fly Me to the Moon" at the end of each episode. very random (as anime can often seem to be), but very very cool, i remember thinking when i first watched the series. got me into the song and into old blue eyes more that way.

Pineapple

Postby Pineapple » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:56 am

I love Nada Surf's cover of 'If You Leave'. It's slower and even though I love the original by OMD, I think I prefer their version.

And 'Enjoy Every Sandwich', a tribute album to Warren Zevon, is a whole load of covers I just love :)

I also have a cover of Bowie's 'Ashes to Ashes' by Bic Runga which I love but um I have to say I haven't heard the original so I should probably do that before passing judgement :lol:

I like this thread. :D
'Along comes Michael... On his bicycle... Lookin' as cool as a Fisher and Paykel...'

jess
New arrival

Postby jess » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:06 pm

fawad-oh-so-prescient
Keeping it funky

hongh-hongh-hongh, j'm'apelle terrie garnier

Postby fawad-oh-so-prescient » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:02 am

Pineapple wrote:And 'Enjoy Every Sandwich', a tribute album to Warren Zevon, is a whole load of covers I just love :)

that sounds awesome.

i really enjoy well-done accoustic covers of otherwise well-known rock or pop or even dance songs. (like the 'Hey Ya' version i mentioned before.)

in that same vein, the goo-goo dolls have an amazing version of 'Don't Fear the Reaper' by Blue Oyster Cult, indie country folk rocker Ryan Adams has a phenomenal version of 'Wonderwall' by Oasis (i like Adams version better), and the canadian group Frente! have a classic-in-its-own-right version of New Order's old dance number 'Bizarre Love Triangle.'

All of which are great.

Btw, I actually do a pretty good--and I don't mean to brag too much but I do--version of Fat Joe's 'Wut's Luv'....if properly propositioned on a moonlit night. *eyebrow waggle* IM me some time if you think you're up for it. Cause, like Ashanti, I'm always in the mood for some...Fat Joe. (ungh)

Pineapple

Re: hongh-hongh-hongh, j'm'apelle terrie garnier

Postby Pineapple » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:32 am

fawad-oh-so-prescient wrote:
Pineapple wrote:And 'Enjoy Every Sandwich', a tribute album to Warren Zevon, is a whole load of covers I just love :)

that sounds awesome.

It is, I highly recommend it :D I hadn't heard of Zevon til my dad got it - now I know what an amazing songwriter he was.

fawad-oh-so-prescient wrote:Btw, I actually do a pretty good--and I don't mean to brag too much but I do--version of Fat Joe's 'Wut's Luv'....if properly propositioned on a moonlit night. *eyebrow waggle* IM me some time if you think you're up for it. Cause, like Ashanti, I'm always in the mood for some...Fat Joe. (ungh)

:roll2:

And Fawad's rendition of Britney Spears' 'Hit Me Baby One More Time' is something to be marvelled at.

'Along comes Michael... On his bicycle... Lookin' as cool as a Fisher and Paykel...'

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:53 am

This will never be topped

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:34 am

Thanks the lord I think I found one to top Hasselhoff. Luckily for you guys this one is actually serious. This dude is incredible. Made the air on my arms stand up.
http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/cont ... player.wmv

Pineapple

Postby Pineapple » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:18 am

Goodnight Nurse's cover of 'Milkshake' is just... awesome, really awesome... I hate the original so much, I cracked up laughing hearing it sung in a screamy kind of punk way...

http://www.myspace.com/goodnightnurse (you don't have to join MySpace to listen to it)

Return to “Off topic rambles”