Cover Tunes

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:34 pm

Hee! That's actually pretty cool, Meli! Definitely much better than the original (which kind of horrified me when I first heard it and saw the video).

It reminds me of Ism's cover of "I Think I Love You". The same sort of hardcore/punk take on what is a cheesy song in its original form. Speaking of which, if anyone actually has the Ism song and would like to share it with me, I'd be very grateful. I only have it on tape (and the tape no longer works).
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Pineapple
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Pineapple » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:21 am

indigo_jones wrote:Hee! That's actually pretty cool, Meli! Definitely much better than the original (which kind of horrified me when I first heard it and saw the video).

It reminds me of Ism's cover of "I Think I Love You". The same sort of hardcore/punk take on what is a cheesy song in its original form. Speaking of which, if anyone actually has the Ism song and would like to share it with me, I'd be very grateful. I only have it on tape (and the tape no longer works).

I actually love the original I Think I Love You :oops: A punky take on it sounds cool. I'll try and track it down.
'Along comes Michael... On his bicycle... Lookin' as cool as a Fisher and Paykel...'

Pineapple

Postby Pineapple » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:24 am

I really like Nirvana's cover of The Man Who Sold The World. Man, I've gotta start hearing original Bowie tracks before I listen to the covers.

'Along comes Michael... On his bicycle... Lookin' as cool as a Fisher and Paykel...'

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:47 pm

Another zombie! We're being overrun with zombies! :shock:

Be careful with the William Shatner bashing around these parts. A certain webmistress has a penchant for the chanteur. ;)

Speaking of Flaming Lips and covers, Ben Folds Five did a cover of their song She Don't Use Jelly, but reinterpreted in a lounge style. Kicky!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

poptartgirl
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby poptartgirl » Sat May 26, 2007 3:27 pm

Pineapple wrote:I love Nada Surf's cover of 'If You Leave'. It's slower and even though I love the original by OMD, I think I prefer their version.

I like this thread. :D

Nada Surf also cover The Beatles (All You Need Is Love). I first heard it in a TV commercial for bank or credit card. In the US, you might still find it on iTunes.

Pineapple

Postby Pineapple » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:37 am

I just found Smash-Up Derby, who do mashup covers (?) live. That means the lyrics of one song are sung over the music of another (with some mixing). I'm loving the four songs on their MySpace:

Closer To Rock 'n' Roll - yes, Joan Jett meets Nine Inch Nails
Smells Like Billie Jean - Nirvana meets Michael Jackson :D
Talking Franz - Franz Ferdinand's Take Me Out and Talking Heads' Burning Down The House
Sweet Nation Army Dreams - White Stripes vs Eurythmics!

If you like any of those songs or artists, it's really weird hearing the lyrics with different music or vice versa. It's funny how the songs fit into each other. I love it, anyway!

JudyH
Lost but happy at sea

Postby JudyH » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:10 am

Here is my favorite -- some friends doing Hendrix's "Little Wing."

But, for fun, you can't beat Alanis Morrisette's "My Humps."

Return to “Off topic rambles”