Going green - an eco friendly thread

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Goodbye Babylon
Giving the paper to the people

Postby Goodbye Babylon » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:33 am

Yeah the aborigines have been eating roos for ages but some don't eat them as often, due to culture change. Nowadays pretty much everyone eats the usual cows, pork and chooks. Roo meat isn't likey to be found at restaurants and stuff though I have heard of a place that does croc and roo kebabs.

What native animals could Americans eat though? Its not likely that you could eat your national emblem.

Lots of corn can't be good for you. Can you overdose on corn?

hah ha "testicle handling" none of my friends have a bottle opener like that but aparently its big bucks in the tourism industry.
a squirrel is the same as a can.....
when there is a bb gun in my hand

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:40 pm

Johnnyp wrote:I was replacing the ink cartridge in my printer today. Now in the package they give you a postage paid envelope to send your old cartridge back. The thing is I buy my cartridges in a twin pack. Lets look at this twin pack. Lets go from the outside in. They come in a cardboard box. Pretty much standard stuff at this point, right ? Inside the box is a mini catalog of they're newest whiz bang items. Then both cartridgees sit in a molded plastic tray. Then there are the two cartridges that each have another mini-literature promo thing stuck to them. Also stuck to the side of the cartridges in a separate plastic wrapper is the cartridge recycling envelope. The cartridges are also separately wrapped plastic packages. Inside the individual cartridge envelope carefully cradling the cartridge is a piece of cardboard. Are you thinking what I'm thinking.

At my local food bank, they have envelopes to recycle cell phones and ink jet cartridges. With every envelope, there is a donation to the national food bank. I can't recall the exact total, but it's more than you would think. How cool is that, you can recycle and help feed those who need help. The last time I volunteered, I grabbed a bunch and handed them out to friends. There isn't anything on the envelopes as to who to contact, but you could try calling the food bank in your area.

veganmo
New arrival

Postby veganmo » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:56 pm

Deirdre wrote:The meat issue is one I don't deal with because I'm a vegetarian. But since I'm an ovo/lacto, there are still the cow and chicken issues to be considered. I plan to become a vegan someday to remove myself from those issues as well. The factory farming situation is a disgrace in America. I do what I can at the moment, but there's always more to be done.

I have been vegan for about 8 years now...

animals are sentient beings just as we are, I do not believe in killing these creatures for our own appetite, although I do agree rearing your own animals is far better than what we know as factory farming (which also created havoc on our environment)... however I would of course choose to let them live.

In general it is a good option to know exactly where your food comes from, I always try to choose organic, and support local growers at the farmer market.

not only in food, but in beauty and household products as well

I could go on a rant but instead I will be a link whore :geek:

free vegan starter kit

factory farming factsheet
veg diet factsheet
raising vegan children

Eating Your Way to a Smaller 'Ecological Footprint'

another great book would be Animal Liberation by Peter Singer
(quotes below)

"Those who claim to care about the well-being of human beings and the preservation of our environment should become vegetarians for that reason alone. They would thereby increase the amount of grain available to feed people elsewhere, reduce pollution, save water and energy, and cease contributing to the clearing of forests.…"

"When nonvegetarians say that “human problems come first” I cannot help wondering what exactly it is that they are doing for human beings that compels them to continue to support the wasteful, ruthless exploitation of farm animals."
Are you ready to folk?
cuz... uh if your ready to folk then... we're... we're ready... we're practically ready...

I'm ready...

ok... we're ready... let's folk it

lovecellogirl
Lost but happy at sea

Postby lovecellogirl » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:34 am

Just noticed this thread. Very cool.

I've been working on making my wasteful American lifestyle less burdensome to the world. It seems like one of the most important thing anyone can do to make the world a better place.

These are some of the things we have done so far.

I drive a hybrid, but I walk and bike as much as possible as well.
We have solar panels for hot water. They work well from spring through fall even here in cloudy, rainy New England. Winter, well the snow cover cuts down on efficiency.
We put in a pellet stove for heat so we can burn less fuel oil.
Compact flourescent lightbulbs in all the fixtures.
Insulation, doors and windows replaced.
Recycle, reuse, and in general cut down on consuming in general. Even though our president has advised us to go shopping to help fight terrorism, we feel like we should get by on less.
We have a big vegetable garden, and we try to buy local food that hasn't been shipped hundreds or thousands of miles.
The most important thing for me is a less meat, more vegetable diet. I'm a vegetarian (for the most part), and I'm working on my family.
It turns out methane is a much stronger greenhouse gas than CO2. A large source of methane is from ruminants raised in factory farms.
Yes that hamburger is contributing to global warming!

We're thinking about a windmill. The ski resort on the ridge to the west of us put a big one up this summer. It's just so cool. They figure it will supply about 50% of their energy needs and will pay for itself in about 8 years.
It would be great not to send off increasingly larger checks to the electric company every month. They cost a fortune though, and I'm not sure it's feasible. Needs research.

Where I live hippie-types are thick on the ground. The lengths they go to live a more back-to-nature lifestyle are much more radical than anything I think I could pull off. I'm a complete piker in comparison.

I guess I'll just go outside and look at the new Hummer H2 my neighbor just bought. That will make me feel virtuous.

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:48 pm

Sometimes we get a little ahead of ourselves. I'm not saying don't try but just put some thought into it. I know some folks out there are passionate about trying to do something better for the planet but as they say for every action ..... http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/ ... e.biofuels

I think about these kinds of things often. For example how much water is wasted rinsing out plastic containers for recycling. One lady I know said she was only going to use cloth diapers to keep disposables out of the landfills. So she uses a diaper service.Respectable idea. I thought what is the exchange on that, when you account for the fuel and water used to clean the diapers and the fuel used to transport them back and forth to her house.....hmmm

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:26 pm

Johnnyp wrote:Sometimes we get a little ahead of ourselves. I'm not saying don't try but just put some thought into it. I know some folks out there are passionate about trying to do something better for the planet but as they say for every action .....

O for sure there is getting the balance right. Something we all fail to do at some point or other.

I know the argument for rinsing plastic bottles and containers etc. Hence when I do mine, I wash them in the same water as I do the washing up in. And leave them to dry naturally. Not wasting excess water there.

Nappies will be a new thing to me soon :P I plan on using washable ones, but accept that the water and energy used will have a negative impact on the environment same as using plastic disposable ones. However, I prefer to go the washable route as I don't like the idea of adding to landfill sites. Also if we have another child in the not too distant future, I'll be able to reuse them. I don't plan on sending them away to have them laundered however, so that fuel impact will be saved at least.

With regard to the biofuel debate, its going to rage on. Bottom line is oil cannot last forever, especially not at affordable prices and other alternatives need to be used. Energy prices have risen here so much this past couple of years its scary. Oil will no doubt have more wars fought over it in future. As to bio fuels being the way forward, no doubt there will be many an argument and scientific study done :roll:

The thing is, as a species on this planet we've already done massive damage that will take eons to repair itself, if it ever can. And we continue to do so, even though we are well aware of the risks and possible end results.

It amazes me people are less interested in preserving the planet than they are about watching the new ads airing in the SuperBowl breaks. I find it such a sorry state of affairs that a big deal is the new Coca Cola ad, not the plight of the Amazon rain forest. I'd rather see an ad about that than a sodding pizza or burger :bang:

But that's a whole other can of worms :lol: :roll:

This green thing has many sides. As does the not so green thing.

As ever, always good to read and discuss opposing POV and news etc :)

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:09 pm

Yes there is no debate the planet is getting warmer. There is no debate we will run out of fossil fuels. There is no debate we should try to find alternate sources. The debate for me is I have yet to be convinced (totally) that we (humans) are the major reason for the current climate change. Climate change has happened many times on this planet before "we" ever got here. The hard part is getting people to weed through the extremist propaganda from both sides. Politicians are using global warming as a hot topic fear factor vote getter not for genuine concern. The result of this is making things worse for people like me who now roll their eyes anytime I hear the phrase. I guess I should also take the link I posted as not being able to be scientifically 100% totally proven.

Now one thing that you did bring up Sherry is the price of oil. Yes its horrible and its scary. Biofuel economically could become ten times worse than fossil fuels ever were. It is already having a broader impact on our economy than fossil fuels ever have. Not worse but broader.One thing that people will need to get used to and accept if the biofuel thing becomes a tunnel visioned solution to fossil fuels is the potentially viscious effect on the price of food. There are many links out there showing how the trickle down effect of ethanol and bio-diesel have raised food prices due to crops and land now being used for fuel instead of food.
Whether it be food for humans or food to feed the animals we eventually eat. The truth is we all are paying higher prices for food due to biofuels. One other debate going on is that our vehicles require more fuel when running on biofuels than straight fossil fuels. In other words we're using more fuel in our vehicle when it is bio-based to get from point A to point B.

Yes we need to try and find solutions. I ride my bicycle now for short trips to eat or to the store. Its fun enjoyable and good for me on top of everything else. I guess when it really comes down to it my main point is for people to not blindly think that change is easy or without consequence.

Of course for you Sherry biofuels may not have had as big of an impact on your food prices since you raise a lot of your own. However you are a rare type in todays world.

Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Deirdre » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:50 pm

Such well thought out points of view.

Thanks for bumping this thread back to the top. I just now read the response with the vegan links that was in response to my post. I had forgotten, and didn't get the little e-mail that tells you someone has responded.

And, just to add a little bit to your conversation... The animals used for food are nearly the biggest contributors to global warming anyway.

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:49 pm

Thats why I eat animals, just doing my part. :wink:

As I said earlier I have yet to be convinced we are the main reason for the climate change. It is also going to be harder to convince me that any amount of what we try to do is going to reverse or help. Don't take that statement as saying we shouldn't try. One of the things we all have to be concerned about is agenda based information. The closest thing I've seen to genuine information that kind of finally made me think it could be true that we are causing it was a documentary on PBS. There was a scientist down in this quarry where you could see the different layers of earth. There were light and darked colored layers representing the earth's climate cycles. He first stated that due to the earths orbit around the sun there will always be climate change period. He then states that according to the layers we should now be entering a freezing/colder period and we're not. That has been the closest thing to proof I have seen. Am I 100% convinced no.

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:56 pm

A slightly more detailed article.

http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=41119

JP

deliriumtree

Re: Going green - an eco friendly thread

Postby deliriumtree » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:14 am

Bumping this one up again. This is a subject I tend to obsess on. My mom once confided in me that she felt so free when I moved out on my own. She said she threw a plastic bottle away and just laughed cause there was no one fussing at her. Personally, I find that sad. Who wouldn't want me fussing at them? :worry:

I do have a question though for anyone who wants to help. My car was stolen yesterday, in the event that I don't get said original car back. Would some of the more affordable hybrids be do-able on a very limited budget? Are they more maintenance than a regular car? Not to get ultra-technical but are there special hybrid doo-hickey's that I need to get changed/fixed/charged regularly in addition to oil changes? I'm not getting any help from insurance so I'd be on my own on this. I'd love to come out of this with a new green car. Although, I'm hoping they find my old car in one piece and return it to me. I'm just trying to research for worse case scenario and looking at ideal endings first.
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:48 am

I'm so glad you bumped this one up, Deliriumtree!
I have no idea what to tell you about hybrids, except to google them and get information. Consumer Reports also would be a practical source of info.
I'm certainly not the poster child for all things green, but I'm working on it. I did a Dierdre-kind of thing the other day at the grocery store - I was about to check out and found I had left my eco bags in the car. I left my cart full of groceries, went out to my car, got the bags, came back and checked out with the groceries in my bags. :supz:
But now I have a major question: with two cats, I clean their boxes each day, and usually use plastic bags to dump the dirty litter into and empty it into the trash. When my current supply runs out, I have no idea what I'm going to use. Any suggestions??? :hrm:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:22 pm

Wrongly thinking it was a bag of garbage I accidentally through away my big plastic bag filled with plastic bags that I was going to recycle at the grocery store. Don't hate me.
90% evil
ImageImage

H....

Postby H.... » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:21 pm

It's hard not to be preachy about this! It would help if they introduced recycling bins EVERYWHERE alongside the normal ones.
Throw us your potatoes!

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:17 pm

Yeah, preachy's not the way to go, but I get crazy if I have to throw papers or plastic bottles in the regular trash. :x Sometimes I take them home to put in my recycle bins. It may be just a little thing, but it's important.
Our town has the highest (best) recycling rate in the state. But the town next door, South Kingstown, doesn't even have an official recycling program. Therein lies the rub - consistency. :doh:
I just heard this morning that a chunk of ice the size of Manhattan has broken free, I can't remember where exactly, but scientists were saying that things were happening faster than they thought they would. :shock:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Return to “Off topic rambles”