Going green - an eco friendly thread

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: Going green - an eco friendly thread

Postby deliriumtree » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:36 am

I was maybe preachy as a teen, but I think fussy is a better way to put it. I'm not the type that lectures, but growing up my mom did get sick of my overly dramatic reactions when I would dig through the trash. Shouting, if even to yourself, "Dear God in heaven!" is a bit of an overreaction perhaps for finding a plastic bottle in the trash lol. Also being the good little ultra nerd that I was I had a lot research and graphs taped to the fridge. So I drove her a little batty with things I guess. Now that I'm older I just quietly sort things where they go when roomate or boyfriend put stuff in the trash they shouldn't. No preaching, I did make another chart though lol. Couldn't help it. Sometimes I do wish they would consult my chart...but I don't say anything. Even though i spent a while making it e-mailing and phoning various places to figure out what types of things could be recycled where in my area. Yes, I am a nerd lol.

Thanks Nancy! I will check out consumer reports for sure. My google searching hasn't been going well so I was hoping someone had one on here and I could find out first hand. I think there are bio-degradable bags you could try for your kitty poo. You could look into something like this that's corn based...http://www.biobagusa.com/biobag_dog.htm I don't know how well they hold together really. You also may be able to compost it. Treehugger.com is great for finding stuff like that out. I know dog poo can be composted, I'm sure cat poo could too, but not sure about the litter. I'm thinking the litter might be the only drawback to composting it. Hope that helps!
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

deliriumtree

Postby deliriumtree » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:39 am

SheWolf wrote:Wrongly thinking it was a bag of garbage I accidentally through away my big plastic bag filled with plastic bags that I was going to recycle at the grocery store. Don't hate me.

I accidently threw a paycheck in the trash, not once but a couple of times. These things happen! Nothing to hate about!
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:40 am

Oh no - paychecks??? :doh:

Thanks so much for the link - it was very informative. One thing that I suspected but now I know for sure is that cat waste cannot be composted because of its toxicity. It also shouldn't be flushed because of the danger to sea otters - who knew?
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

H....

Postby H.... » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:25 am

deliriumtree wrote:
SheWolf wrote:Wrongly thinking it was a bag of garbage I accidentally through away my big plastic bag filled with plastic bags that I was going to recycle at the grocery store. Don't hate me.

I accidently threw a paycheck in the trash, not once but a couple of times. These things happen! Nothing to hate about!

I've lost quite a bit of money through not taking it out of pockets before putting it in the washing machine.
Throw us your potatoes!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:14 pm

Nancy Hillner wrote:I just heard this morning that a chunk of ice the size of Manhattan has broken free, I can't remember where exactly, but scientists were saying that things were happening faster than they thought they would. :shock:
Yes but there was once an Ice Age so....

I watched An Inconvenient Truth & it made sense. I then heard opposing ideas that also made sense. I take all of it with a boulder of salt.

While there's no harm in doing what we can for the environment there is also a natural ebb and flow of things that will be what they will be with or without us.
90% evil
ImageImage

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:24 pm

H.... wrote:I've lost quite a bit of money through not taking it out of pockets before putting it in the washing machine.
I fail to see how that's on topic. If there were a cheeky monkey emoticon (& goodness knows there should be) I would insert it here to describe you. And I would then insert a tongue in cheek emotion for myself. :horny: (hey the devil's name is horny - I'm horny!)
90% evil
ImageImage

deliriumtree

Postby deliriumtree » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:49 pm

hehe, I did remember thankfully to check the trash. Banks are eco-friendly? They WILL accept checks with odd garbage stains, they do look at you funny though. Hmm...that interesting about cat poo! How many times does that sentence come up in our daily lives? lol I didn't know about the otter thing either. If I ever get a cat I am much more prepared now!

I watched An Inconvenient Truth just this past weekend. My roomate has netflix yay! I thought it explained really well a lot of things I didn't quite understand very well. For me it's kind of preaching to the choir though. Even though I got into the green movement for very different reasons than most lol.

I can see where the conflict about global warming comes from though. It's like horrible, terrible things are happening, but you can fix it by changing your light-bulbs. It seems overly simple to a huge problem and I can definitely understand doubts. Most of the dramatic changes probably need to happen at a much larger possibly corporate level to really have an impact. I do admit I am sort of worried it's all too late too and having a friend of a friend whose a scientist that agrees with that thought doesn't help lol. I try to do all I can though.

H....

Postby H.... » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:42 pm

SheWolf wrote: I fail to see how that's on topic. If there were a cheeky monkey emoticon (& goodness knows there should be) I would insert it here to describe you. And I would then insert a tongue in cheek emotion for myself. :horny: (hey the devil's name is horny - I'm horny!)

:thanks:

(Even more off-topic!) More emoticons needed!
Throw us your potatoes!

onewithdog
Half a shapely halibut

Postby onewithdog » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:02 am

I saw a program about this on TV.

Air Car!

http://www.theaircar.com/

Runs on compressed air. No emissions, no gas, its free fuel. Its ready now for $15k. They need to make a compressor for the car so you technically never need to stop. Will it ever come here (US)? Will big business allow it?

If i had the money i would be driving a new Mini. But i dont have the money right now :(. They get about 40mpg. Pretty good if you ask me.

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:20 pm

I lived in Boulder, Colorado for 4 years and green, eco friend earth saving was soo jammed down my throat. And I was raised by hippies so it was totally preaching to the chior but I'd had enough. All the restaurants moved to using drinking straws and take away boxes and bags made of bio degradable cornstarch. Which s great. However, when you use that drinking straw in something hot then it melts. And by the time you get home with your doggie bag is has soaked through to the back seat.

However, one of the things that I LOVE about this more common push to reduce, reuse and recycle, is that it makes it cook to be cheap and the poor people are all ahead of the game. I mean, I've been saving a lot of money doing things like reusing mailing envelopes and gift wrap and stuff. And finding ways to cut down on energy use also cut down on the bills which is really cool. Like when we go out of town we turn the hot water heater down. And I totally got out of sending Christmas cards this year by sending a very clever e-card video. And man did I save money on cards, envelopes and postage so that was awesome :D I love that computer and the Internet make it possible for a lot of companies to go paperless including my own business. Because then I save a ton of money on printing costs and paper and all kind of crap.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:19 am

Glad to see this thread bumped up again.
Earlier I had asked about eco-friendly cat litter. I found a great one at Wal Mart called Fresh Results made by Pro*Pet. It's an all-natural clumping litter, a completely biodegradable formula that has made my basement smell like natural pine instead of cat pee! :yay:
It's also 99.9% dust free, which is a huge improvement over the old litter I used to use. It's also very economical - a ten pound bag does the job of a normal twenty pound bag, because of its absorbency. I highly recommend it!
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

onewithdog
Half a shapely halibut

Postby onewithdog » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:44 am

I can go to costco and buy a 40 pound bag of dog food for the same price the grocery story sells 20 pound bags. Same food.

Im saving on something there! Money for sure.

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:04 am

onewithdog wrote:I can go to costco and buy a 40 pound bag of dog food for the same price the grocery story sells 20 pound bags. Same food.

Im saving on something there! Money for sure.

If you've looked into dog food you'll find that the cheap stuff you buy is loaded with filler and you have to feed your dog more of it. So a 20lb bag of the good stuff lasts as long as a 40lb bag of the cheap stuff and you end up spending the same money. Also, most cheap dog foods are loaded with corn which is a common allergy for dogs.

When we got Cali her previous owners gave us a 40lb bag of Walmart dry dog food and told us they'd always fed her the cheap stuff and that she'd always been a grazer and just nibbled now and then so they'd leave her bowl out all day. Well one of the first things I noticed is that she had a bit of itchy dry skin. Immediately we started giving her fish oil which helped some. Then when she'd eaten the bag of cheap dog food we stared buying the good natural stuff. Well she is no longer a grazer. Her bowl gets filled twice a day, in the morning and evening and usually as soon as it hits the floor full she snarfs it down. Evidently the crummy dog food not only gave her dry skin but she also didn't like it! Now her skin and her coat are beautiful AND we're not spending our money on bad companies that use hormone infused and genetically altered ingredients.

onewithdog
Half a shapely halibut

Postby onewithdog » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:14 am

What are you feeding her?

I feed Buddy Beneful
http://www.beneful.com/Dog-Food/Original/Default.aspx

He loves it.

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:00 am

Cali gets Natural Balance.