Other Band Obsessions?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
specialkay
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby specialkay » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:54 pm

ahh, the radio. that takes us to another subject altogether!
tis okay when your in a jam, but..Sheesh! what a dictatorship!
"Growing OLD is mandatory but growing UP is optional" :)
~KAREN~

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:02 pm

I basically stopped listening to the radio when I moved to NY. Radio is bad there and pointless if you're riding the subway, anyway. I moved back here to NC and radio was just as bad. Last Christmas, however, we broke down and bought XM satellite radio and suddenly I'm listening to the radio a lot more. Sure, I tend to listen to the Alternative 80s station a lot, but I do listen to the station that plays mainly British/European top-of-the-pops kind of stuff, which is how I know I've heard James Blunt. Plus, there's sports, comedy, news, politics, and all sorts of stations available.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

specialkay

Postby specialkay » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:04 pm

yeah, my idea of radio is more along the lines of sat radio or yahoo's selection of your choice of listening by what mood you are in at the moment. and i love the 80's, 90's, and new relelease alternative tunes! :supz:
and..you can always just move on to the next selection if you don't like it...a beautiful thing, really! :thumb:

i am lovin' my KILLERS CD this morning by the way, i really should have bought this sooner.
Tis obscene to wanna dance across the floor with hot java so early in the morn! :type: :drinkers: :lalala: :bounce:
*my animals are like..."what the bloody hell...?!%&#@!"*
"Growing OLD is mandatory but growing UP is optional" :)

~KAREN~

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:23 am

I don't think I've posted in this thread before, but I've finally thought of some people to write about!

Nick Drake. His music and voice are haunting and beautiful. He died in the early seventies - he accidentally overdosed on his antidepressant. Really sad story there - but his music is wonderful.
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:35 pm

I really like Nick Drake, too. Just beautiful work he did. His voice, the guitar. Stunning. There's a writer, Phil Rickman, who writes supernatural stories usually based around the Welsh border. He's got a series going now based around a handful of characters, mainly the Rev. Merrily Watkins, who happens to be an exorcist (or Deliverance minister as she's called). One of the other characters is a musician who was heavily influenced by Nick Drake, so every time I read one of these books, I have to listen to Nick Drake. It's the perfect soundtrack for the book, so to speak. Very well-written books, too. He's one of my favorite writers.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Amaria
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Amaria » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:07 am

Everyone ought to download some Sean Cullen. It's along the same vein as FoTC, except weirder, and a one man band. He's got a song about cheese, and another one about a monkey and a woman. And the woman is idiotic enough to touch the monkey, and ends up pregnant with its child.

He's fairly hilarious. :D

EspedairStreet
Lost but happy at sea

Postby EspedairStreet » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:42 am

I have very few music obsessions, but I just found out today that one of them -- the inimitable, the divine, the transcendant Mr. Chris Whitley-- passed away.

RIP, Chris.

Kate
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Kate » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:06 am

Wow, Whitley wasn't that old. Such a talent. :(

Ellen

Postby Ellen » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:45 am

Just an FYI for anyone who might be interested: James Blunt is scheduled to appear on Saturday Night Live on December 3.

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:20 am

Ellen wrote:Just an FYI for anyone who might be interested: James Blunt is scheduled to appear on Saturday Night Live on December 3.

Hey, thanks Ellen! You are just rife with information. Now if I can just retain that little bit until the third...:roll:
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:40 am

Okay, in addition to The Black Seeds, and Video Kid, I'm am now adding Flash Harry, Fat Freddy's Drop and Phoenix Foundation to my Kiwi Band Obsession List.

Of course F o the C would be on the list, but I don't know if they technically qualify for that category. They are, however, #1 on my Guitar-Based Digi-Bongo Acapella-Rap-Funk-Comedy Folk Duo List.

(Oh, oH! Look an entire post with no emoticons! I am amazed at myself :shock: Shoot! :cross: Off the wagon again.)
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

indigo_jones

Postby indigo_jones » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:21 pm

Okay, in addition to The Black Seeds, and Video Kid, I'm am now adding Flash Harry, Fat Freddy's Drop and Phoenix Foundation to my Kiwi Band Obsession List.

Ditto. I think Andria and I have been egging each other on in this fascination, though, feeding each other links and songs. Thank goodness for someone else who gets it. :D

I've been rather obsessive over them all recently, mentioning them anywhere and everywhere I reasonably can. I think it's just because I'm so excited to find new(ish) music that I like. I haven't been this excited about music in quite a while. I've missed this feeling.

djdeathskiss
Keeping it funky

Postby djdeathskiss » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:32 pm

Andria wrote:Okay, in addition to The Black Seeds, and Video Kid, I'm am now adding Flash Harry, Fat Freddy's Drop and Phoenix Foundation to my Kiwi Band Obsession List.

Of course F o the C would be on the list, but I don't know if they technically qualify for that category. They are, however, #1 on my Guitar-Based Digi-Bongo Acapella-Rap-Funk-Comedy Folk Duo List.

(Oh, oH! Look an entire post with no emoticons! I am amazed at myself :shock: Shoot! :cross: Off the wagon again.)

If you're into NZ bands, there is a new book out called 'Stranded in Paradise' that documents the history of New Zealand rock and pop music. It's supposed to be very detailed and very good.
"Of course i'm home; i'm always home. I'm uncool!" - Lester Bangs, 'Almost Famous'

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:30 am

indigo_jones wrote:

Ditto. I think Andria and I have been egging each other on in this fascination, though, feeding each other links and songs. Thank goodness for someone else who gets it. :D

I've been rather obsessive over them all recently, mentioning them anywhere and everywhere I reasonably can. I think it's just because I'm so excited to find new(ish) music that I like. I haven't been this excited about music in quite a while. I've missed this feeling.

True, Jones, so true. We do egg each other on. But we don't egg each other. :sick: :doh: It is *french taunter sniff* very nice to have someone to talk to about the Kiwi bands. :D

I've also been quite obsessive. Pretty much doing the same thing as Jones. My family and friends think I'm even more crazy than usual. And, since I feel the same exact way, I'll quote another Kiwi Band Obsessee: "I haven't been this excited about music in quite a while. I've missed this feeling." - IJM or BMJM. :wink:

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:35 am

djdeathskiss wrote:If you're into NZ bands, there is a new book out called 'Stranded in Paradise' that documents the history of New Zealand rock and pop music. It's supposed to be very detailed and very good.

Do you happen to know the author? Is this the correct one? Just curious. :)

Return to “Off topic rambles”