Other Band Obsessions?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:39 am

That's a much better price than the $110+ I saw on Amazon! Still a bit pricey for me, unforunately. I'd love to read it, considering my long-standing interest in Split Enz et al.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:56 am

indigo_jones wrote:That's a much better price than the $110+ I saw on Amazon! Still a bit pricey for me, unforunately. I'd love to read it, considering my long-standing interest in Split Enz et al.

Now, do you think the $45 is in New Zealand dollars? :) If so...not so bad. Still a little pricey for poor little me. I'm not even sure where to purchase it, I just found the Penguin Group site. I'll have to research and see.

And, yeah! I got a little scared when I searched on Amazon. But, since the Amazon one was published in '88, I figured there must be another one.
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

poptartgirl
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby poptartgirl » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:29 pm

My biggest band obsession lately is Nic Armstrong and The Thieves. Just take early Beatles, Stones, Kinks, and some 50s rock, and voila - you have an idea of their sound. The influences are undeniable but they're not just mimicking their influences. They're originally from Nottingham England but they have been staying in Austin since August playing a bunch of gigs while writing and recording. I've also become friends with them - a really nice, fun bunch of blokes :-).

You can check out a few songs at http://www.nicarmstrong.com, http://www.myspace.com/nicarmstrongthethieves, or http://www.newwestrecords.com/nicarmstrong.php

Cheers,

Jennifer

conchordgirl
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby conchordgirl » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:19 am

James Blunt is on Saturday Night Live right now. Now I have another cd to put on my wish list. If anyone is interested I can encode it for the internet.
Just PM me if you are interested.

--Nicole

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:35 am

Oh, I just managed to catch James' first song. So nice! I had to laugh at the 'flying' line, however. I guess I am just used to the explicit lyric now. ;)

Thanks for the reminder, Nicole! :D

And (on edit) I just caught his second song. Very nice performance of Goodbye My Lover. It just gets you right :heart: here.
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

jm513
Boom Queen Baby

cool site

Postby jm513 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:33 am

It does not seem like many people share my musical tastes here, but I'll share this anyway. If anyone is into jam bands - like the Dead, Phish, moe., Keller Williams, North MIssissippi Allstars, etc - this is a great site! You can download entire shows for free! Click the "free stash"button in the top right corner and you'll get a list of all the free shows they currently have available for download....

http://nugs.net/
"I can't brain today - I haz teh dumb"

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Re: cool site

Postby Gayle » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:40 am

jm513 wrote:It does not seem like many people share my musical tastes here, but I'll share this anyway. If anyone is into jam bands - like the Dead, Phish, moe., Keller Williams, North MIssissippi Allstars, etc - this is a great site! You can download entire shows for free! Click the "free stash"button in the top right corner and you'll get a list of all the free shows they currently have available for download....

http://nugs.net/

Being married to a musician, I've been trained to not pay attention to that kind of music. Now that I am soon to be single again, I think I will spread the wings and check out the site. I feel very defiant. :D
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby jm513 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:43 am

Why would a musician train you not to listen to that kind of music? That makes no sense at all. They embody the true meaning of being a musician - getting up and playing from the heart instead of from what they memorized or someone else wrote for them.......that's very weird....I am a classically trained musician (played cello for 18 years) and that is certainly different from the jam bands, but it makes me appreciate their talent all the more......

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:57 am

jm513 wrote:Why would a musician train you not to listen to that kind of music? That makes no sense at all. They embody the true meaning of being a musician - getting up and playing from the heart instead of from what they memorized or someone else wrote for them.......that's very weird....I am a classically trained musician (played cello for 18 years) and that is certainly different from the jam bands, but it makes me appreciate their talent all the more......

Preaching to the choir, my friend. He's a composer and a pianist and has very... definate... ideas about what he likes and why. His talent comes from an almost inate understanding of theory - yet he does inject a lot of genuine emotion in his work. He's just... passionate... about what he likes and dislikes. God forbid you disagree... you get the idea.

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:57 am

Being a bass player in blues bands has burnt me out on endless jamming. I like great song writing that doesn't beat a dead horse. If you're going to be repetitive keep it short. Whether it pertains to the chord progression or the words. It almost becomes a "punching the clown" session after awhile. These are my opinions and I totally respect what other peoples likes are. Just my 2 cents 8)

They aren't an obsession of mine but I've got one CD by a band called The Mommyheads that I listen to fairly often. The CD is called The Mommyheads its one of the best CDs practically nobody has ever heard of. Very Beatle-y. Too bad the broke up in 97 before I even knew they existed. Go to Amazon and check out the soundclips very cool stuff.
Last edited by Johnnyp on Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:59 am

Johnnyp wrote:Being a bass player in blues bands has burnt me out on endless jamming. I like great song writing that doesn't beat a dead horse. If you're going to be repetitive keep it short. Whether it pertains to the chord progression or the words. It almost becomes a "punching the clown" session after awhile. These are my opinions and I totally respect what other peoples likes are. Just my 2 cents 8)

That's pretty much where the spouse comes from. His ear is very sensitive, too.

jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby jm513 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:04 am

I did not mean to offend Gayle! I just read what I wrote and it sounded like the beginnings of a rant and I didn't mean it as such. That is just the first time ever that I heard of a musician saying anything like that. I've certainly met many musicians who don't choose to listen to that kind of music, but they always appreciate the artists even if they don't like the music.

Anyway - newfound singledome - it sounds like you are taking this as a good thing?

You will be available for Mr. J now, eh?=-))

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:07 am

jm513 wrote:Why would a musician train you not to listen to that kind of music? That makes no sense at all. They embody the true meaning of being a musician - getting up and playing from the heart instead of from what they memorized or someone else wrote for them.......that's very weird....I am a classically trained musician (played cello for 18 years) and that is certainly different from the jam bands, but it makes me appreciate their talent all the more......

Yes and no on the classical part though. Classical music can have highly extended parts and movements that are incredible. The beauty to me is in the movements that create a story. I don't have a problem with songs that are long just tell me a story don't keep going around in a circle. Some jam bands have this ability but some jam for the sake of "jamming" with no direction.

jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby jm513 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:09 am

Jp - I totally agree - there certainly comes a point where you have to take the song somewhere or it gets old. I've just plopped down on the ground at many shows where I said "Ok - I'm really not on enough drugs right now to find this that super cool and I need to get some air that doesn't pour patchouli down my throat and the only place I can do that is on the ground where there is still room between legs for the air to move"..... but there have also been times when the musicians are totally in sync and everything is there and they can jam for 20 minutes and pull me right in......

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:09 am

jm513 wrote:I did not mean to offend Gayle! I just read what I wrote and it sounded like the beginnings of a rant and I didn't mean it as such. That is just the first time ever that I heard of a musician saying anything like that. I've certainly met many musicians who don't choose to listen to that kind of music, but they always appreciate the artists even if they don't like the music.

Anyway - newfound singledome - it sounds like you are taking this as a good thing?

You will be available for Mr. J now, eh?=-))

No! No offense taken!!! I understand why you would be surprised.

I am beginning to look at new found singledom as a new beginning and while I'm a little freaked out, I'm also a little excited. I won't know until years from now if we've made the right decision... we are still great friends. He's a great guy - but as I've said before, it was a bad relationship and time to move on.

And yes... always available for Mr. J! Like if he calls, I won't jump? Cha!

Return to “Off topic rambles”