Other Band Obsessions?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby jm513 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:18 am

That's very cool that you guys can remain friends. Marraige has so many pros and cons - its not an easy thing sometimes and there is certainly no guarantee. But, there are also very few things in life that can't get second chances if you decide down the road that you should be together.

But the stomach wrenching fun of being single!!!!! The first kiss, the waiting by the phone, every day being Wednesday...........I love my husband dearly but I do occansionally have to live vicariously through my single friends :lol:
"I can't brain today - I haz teh dumb"

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:24 am

It's been a little over ten years since I've been single. Ugh. I'm looking forward to being by myself for a while. And listening to the music I like without commentary, no matter how earnest. I'm not a musician, but I know what I like and I have a decent ear.

My favorite at the moment? Nick Drake. Haunting and beautiful. sigh.
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby jm513 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:34 am

I have not heard Nick Drake. I'll have to check him out. Anyone who has a voice or music style that can be described as haunting sounds interesting.

Ok - so I am royally peeved at msn.com right now. I just went to check out the pictures of the year and I was absolutely unprepared for what they showed. They really needed to have a warning prior to allowing that to open.

I am going to watch the HBO special now to attempt to get my head somewhere else........

Gayle
Cool Nipples!

Postby Gayle » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:58 am

Nick Drake died when we were small (or likely before you were born :shock: I thought I'd be much older before I used that phrase).

His style is simple and earnest. I imagine with your open musical mind, you will get him.
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:19 am

jm513 wrote:Jp - I totally agree - there certainly comes a point where you have to take the song somewhere or it gets old. I've just plopped down on the ground at many shows where I said "Ok - I'm really not on enough drugs right now to find this that super cool and I need to get some air that doesn't pour patchouli down my throat and the only place I can do that is on the ground where there is still room between legs for the air to move"..... but there have also been times when the musicians are totally in sync and everything is there and they can jam for 20 minutes and pull me right in......

The fact that I never drink or do drugs may have something to do with my inability to get my groove on with the jam bands :lol:

jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby jm513 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:36 am

JP:
You don't need alcohol or drugs to enjoy the music - anyone who tells you that does too much of both. I do still drink, but my hard core party days ended when I had my son and I still enjoy the music. Some of the bands can get a bit spacy and that's usually when I sit down, but check out North Mississippi Allstars sometime - they are total blues/southern rock - no spacy stuff anywhere and they can jam like no one's business.

Gayle:
I just Napstered Nick Drake and what a beautiful voice!! He seems to me to be a cross between Simon & Garfunkel, Jim Croce (mellower stuff), and James Taylor. I think maybe its just the style of music that brings to mind these other musicians......

jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby jm513 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:48 am

JP,
I was getting ready to close out of this and head to bed and I re-read some of this and realized that I probably sounded as if I was totally contradicting myself - but my first comment was meant to just "be a funny" since many people have that notion about jam bands (that you have to be a bit altered to enjoy them). I don't know how many times I have heard "What? You listen to The Dead? You don't look like a hippie" (they didn't know me 10 years ago :) ). I will give in on the space jams - again, too much for me most of the time - but in general you can get a pretty good groove on. Just as an example: My husband is in the Navy. So, obviously he does not do any drugs whatsoever. I took him to a Phish show about - oh my god - 8 years ago now (where does the time go!?). He didn't listen to Phish and he certainly wasn't into the whole hippie thing. Well, about half way through the show I look over and there is Mike with a glow stick in each hand just totally into it. He was just dancing and smiling and having an absolute blast - he loved it! After the show he sat there going "Man! I felt that all the way through me!" And he was stone cold sober, just enjoyed the music.....

Ok now I will let this go and head to bed=-)) I can get into discussions about music - especially when people don't agree with me :lol: (just kidding there - really!)

I would love to hear your stuff some time! I have always wanted to learn how to play jazz bass, but being classically trained - it is very hard to switch over to the whole improv thing and I just don't have time to devote to learning now=-(. One day maybe.....

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:03 am

Well I play blues bass (electric and upright) not jazz and I'm just clarifying trying not to come across all snobby blues elitists. (its hard to do when you can't see the other person)

Its not just you but it happens all the time. Somewhere along the line someone brainwashed the world that when they hear the word blues they immediately respond Oh I love jazz I reply I don't play jazz Then they reply Well jazz blues its all the same I then tell them there are jazz musicians who can't play the blues and blues musicians who can't play jazz. While there are ones who can do both and they are definitely related. I then give them this scenario. If you were to ask someone who cooked for a living what type of cook they were and he replied I cook at a Chinese restarant and you replied Oh really,I just love Mexican food While they do use some of the same ingredients they are not the same. Like I said I just don't know when this brainwashing happened but somebody is responsible and he's in big trouble when I find him.

The other thing is just because I play in a blues band doesn't mean I'm a blues slob its just what I play. I have a pretty wide scope of appreciation. One of my biggest issues with the jam bands is song length. I just don't like long songs. I'll hear a song and think Man I 'd really like that song if it were a minute or two shorter My favorite bands live in the world of moderation and foresight. They think of this in all aspects of their music. Not too many fast songs,not too many slow songs,not too many quiet songs,not too many loud songs, not too many three chord songs,not too many songs with one good lyric thats repeated over and over again.... I could go on. I think there are a lot of bands out there that are just missing that element. They fall into that habit and never get out because it still sells records. The really sad part to me is I hear this and think they are just right there on the cusp of greatness and if that little light would go off in their heads you could be looking at the second coming of The Beatles. Music nowadays is full of extremely talented people who instead of really being their true self they rely on a gimmick. They over sing,over angst,over melancholy,over whispery airy,over lilt, over falsetto but the worst is no vibrato control. It seems like nobody can just sing or hold a note without doing some vocal scale acrobatics. See Jess and you thought you were bad you got me started and please don't take this as being anything specifically against you or about jam bands. I feel most poular forms of music nowadays suffers from these things. In fact I was watching a little something the other day on TV about My Morning Jacket and I thought it was pretty tasteful. SOOOOO sorry for being so long winded!!!! :oops:

jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby jm513 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:50 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JP, I'm totally thrilled to see that someone else can get as passionate and long winded as me about music!!!!!

I didn't know what type of music you play - I know I saw it somewhere but all I could remember was seeing the pic of you with the stand up bass and I automatically think jazz, but there is definately a difference between the two and I LOVE Blues!!! I'm a big Delta Blues fan myself - Muddy Waters, RL Burnside (who died recently - what a loss), John Lee Hooker.....I could go on and on.

Just out of curiosity - have you ever listened to the recorded stuff from any of the jam bands? 90% of that is just pure song - no jamming. You might enjuoy some of that.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:29 pm

Too much to respond to!

I won't even bother right now. It would take me too long to get my thoughts in order. I'm another one that can go on and on when talking about music. The husband-type person and I frequently have nights where we stay up til all hours of the morning listening to all sorts of stuff. He's an excellent drummer and can appreciate music on a technical level, as well as pure enjoyment. Me, I just know what I like, although I'm starting to realize that there are certain technical elements that inevitably lead to me liking a song more.

Anyway, I'm glad Gayle has turned you on to Nick Drake, Jess. His stuff is beautiful. Such a shame that he died so young.

As for jam bands and blues and such, I used to live in New Orleans and would go see all sorts of bands and loved living in a city with such a rich musical heritage. Generally, I don't go see jam bands that often, and never any of the big ones, but I used to go see Galactic Prophylactic when I was living in New Orleans. After I left, I didn't hear anything about them for years until about three years or so ago when a friend of mine who's a big Phish fan, mentioned a band called Galactic. I mentioned going to see GP in New Orleans and she told me that they were the same band, just shortened the name. So now I own their Live at Tipitina's CD, which is particularly fun for me, since that's where I used to go see them.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:14 pm

Very cool. Open discussion is great and it doesn't have to be my opinion is better than yours. I see Jess that you speak from a well rounded educated perspective. RL was great. I especially like Elmore James. I was rethinking things this morning as to why we have are sovaried opinions and appreciation. You being in a fairly rigid structured music for so long has probably made you appreciate a more open free form type of music. I on the other hand having lived in the blues world for so long has made me appreciate a more structured type of music. If you think about it this would make sense. I'm also not saying I could/would never like that type of stuff its just not where I'm at right now. I would also never say that what you listen to is crap.

jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby jm513 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:45 am

JP - that theory seems like it would make sense. If you have any of your stuff on MP3 and ever feel an inkling to share, I would love to hear it! There is really not much I am not open to (although there is some - my husband is taking the kids to Britanny Spears when that time comes). You should see my MP3 collection sometime - people think I have split personalities.

Ms. I - Galactic is great! They are playing here in a few weeks - can't wait! Its great b/c they play at this pretty small bar so it's not a big hooplah.

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:55 pm

I'm listening to Richard Ashcroft a lot at the moment. His new album comes out officially tomorrow and I shall be in the store waving my gift vouchers around (I finally found a use for the vouchers my work gave me for Christmas) and purchasing said album.

And also one by Arctic Monkeys. Cool band.

No doubt these will both be on rotation for a while once I get home tomorrow 8)

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:12 pm

Really really liking the Richard Ashcroft album. A lot.

Not so sure about the Arctic Monkeys, I think its a grower. Like mold :lol:

Luna
New arrival

Re: Other Band Obsessions?

Postby Luna » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:45 am

I love bands

of course...... BEATLES!!

coheed and cambria
rasputina
candlebox
The cure
deftones
led zep
cranberries

etc.....

These are not bands but anyways... :partyman:

bjork
Tori amos
regina spektor
fiona apple
tracy bonham

and some local bands here in the Philippines. :)
"We no longer say yes... we say.. AFFIRMATIVE..."

Return to “Off topic rambles”