Arj Barker

Friends of the Conchords and those who've worked with them over the years...
onlyalways
Keeping it funky

Re: Arj Barker

Postby onlyalways » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:47 am

I haven't listened to The Marijuana-Logues yet, but I really like Doug Benson too, so it must be good stuff!

I have been listening to "Issues were here", his CD back in '99. Its great- I love his style of delivery on stage.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:11 am

Yes, I love his delivery - it's unique, and very funny. :lol:
A bunch of us saw him in July, and I got Issue Were Here then. I love when he raises his voice and speaks haltingly as he gets to the point. He's a funny, cute guy. :nod: :thumb:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:54 am

I saw the Marijuana-logues because my friend and I used to be stoners in college, but didn't know who Arj and Doug Benson were, but still loved it.

I think we got a contact high off the rest of the audience - we walked in pert near cold sober, and were kinda spacy and giggly at the end, and it wasn't all the comedy.

I was first a little bummed that I missed Arj's comedy record recording session in Mpls, and then he wasn't opening for FOTC, but I've started watching some of Eugene Mirman's EugTube stuff and now pretty thrilled he's on the bill...
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

onlyalways
Keeping it funky

Postby onlyalways » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:01 am

But that's still cool that you got to see them live. I enjoy pot humor although I've never tried it. But I haven't ruled it out.

Nancy Hillner wrote:I love when he raises his voice and speaks haltingly as he gets to the point. He's a funny, cute guy. :nod: :thumb:

EXACTLY. He'll raise his voice to the point of yelling, adding so much drama to the joke making it amazing.

Yis. Viry cute.

Maze
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Maze » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:05 pm

Here's a cool interview with Arj from the Vancouver Province

htttp://www.theprovince.com/entertainme ... story.html

Snowboarder tried comedy because 'it might be fun'By Glen Schaefer

Arj Barker admits his comic start wasn't exactly anxiety free.Photograph by: Handout, The ProvinceComedian Arj Barker (tonight, 8 p.m., Vogue) learned early on how to plunge into unknown territory, spending his late teen years as a snowboarder before the stage came calling.

After growing up in Marin County north of San Francisco, Barker wasn't really giving any thought to long-time career goals when he took the comedy plunge 15 years ago.

"I just tried it for kind of a laugh, I didn't really decide to become a comedian," says Barker, who was already well established on the comedy club circuit a couple of years ago when TV fame came with a role as spacey pawnshop owner Dave on Flight of the Conchords.

"I hadn't been out of high school for that long, I went down to New Zealand for three months of snowboarding, then I came home and moved to a ski resort," Barker says of his comedy start. "By then it was summertime, San Francisco. I wasn't feeling the pressure of life back then, I wasn't even 20 yet. I tried comedy, just signed up, thought it'd be kind of fun."

Barker started out with jokes about his immigrant father, a civil engineer from India. "I wouldn't do them now because they're really easy, kind of obvious stereotyping. You know 7-Eleven and stuff."

He moved on to more imaginative riffs on technology, relationships and life on the road. In one routine he manages three or four different spins on the old crying-baby-on-a-plane situation.

"For me, it's not so much what I talk about, but is it funny? My priority is to get laughs -- random stuff and I talk about it, there's no agenda. My job isn't to teach anybody anything . . . most of my jokes aren't necessarily a story, they're more like an observation with a funny ending."

Since TV fame hit with his role opposite New Zealand-born comic musicians Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie, Barker has noticed a spike in the number of people coming to his live show.

"I don't think a lot of people who watch Flight of the Conchords realize that I'm a seasoned stand-up comedian," he says. "As far as the stand-up, I didn't change anything. Just working at coming up with new stuff, becoming a better comedian. You can never start being more comfortable on stage after all these years."

And, when pressed, he admits that his comedic start wasn't totally anxiety-free.

"I was scared as hell, man, every show was a big deal in the early days, I couldn't eat before," Barker says.

Kind of like the scary rush of pointing a snowboard down an unfamiliar slope?

"You could draw a comparison," he says. "I never competed in it, although we used to get pretty crazy back when we thought we were indestructible."

© Copyright (c) The Province

DaMango
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby DaMango » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:19 pm

Great interview, thanks Maze! Wow, tonight's BC gig is his last show before heading to Oz. If I were really nuts, I'd drive on up there for the show, but I'd probably have to start now. Ah never mind. Hopefully some BC WTFers will be in attendance?

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:38 pm

DaMango wrote:Great interview, thanks Maze! Wow, tonight's BC gig is his last show before heading to Oz. If I were really nuts, I'd drive on up there for the show, but I'd probably have to start now. Ah never mind. Hopefully some BC WTFers will be in attendance?

dandy lyons will be attending.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:25 am

:yay: Yay, Dandy! :yay:

Hope to hear all about it. :nod:

Thanks for the article, Maze.
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:13 am

Just saw this posted on Twitter by Arj :
arjbarker RT @thisisthebang: @arjbarker WHEN ARE YOU COMING TO THE UK???? A) as soon as u stop yelling!! ( this summer I think) :)

Source

Might mean that he'll be touring with FOTC during their UK/European tour in the summer :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:59 am

Venus wrote:Just saw this posted on Twitter by Arj :
arjbarker RT @thisisthebang: @arjbarker WHEN ARE YOU COMING TO THE UK???? A) as soon as u stop yelling!! ( this summer I think) :)

Source

Might mean that he'll be touring with FOTC during their UK/European tour in the summer :D

I had the exact thought while reading his Twitter update.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

Peaches
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Peaches » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:11 am

He's coming to Adelaide next year too :) Woo!

I've seen him several times (out in the street etc), and always been to embarassed to say hello....I find him quite intimidating. I don't know why...
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:44 pm

90% evil
ImageImage

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:51 pm

That's so great! It was on YouTube a while ago, but got taken down. So glad it's back up again, it's brilliant!

thanks for posting!
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

ItsAllRyche
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby ItsAllRyche » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:35 am

Yeah, I had it up too, then found out Arj was gonna put it on his dvd for release in January, so maybe this is back up for purpose of promoting dvd?

What ever reason I am really glad its back, he is so awesome!!!
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:59 pm

Arj is going to be performing at the Carlsberg Cat Laughs Comedy Festival in Kilkenny, Ireland 3rd-6th June 2010.:
For more info, click here. :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Return to “Conchords Cohorts”