Demetri Martin

Friends of the Conchords and those who've worked with them over the years...
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Re: Demetri Martin

Postby mohumbhai mania » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:03 pm

My friends used to say that the way to torture me would be to strap me to a chair, eyelids pinned open (clockwork orange) and make me watch Monty Python stuff all day

I think a lot of Python's appeal is that is was so different than what was out there. I know as a teen, um, many many years ago, it was like a lightning bolt coming out of the sky. Not all their stuff stands up for me today, but I have a soft spot for their songs and the sketches that haven't been run into the ground (yes, I'm looking at you "Dead Parrot").
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:07 pm

Right. I got ya. But did they make you laugh? I only ask because even when I understood the stuff they were doing I didn't laugh. I rolled my eyes. Then again, much British humor has that effect on me. I wish I could find it funny though.
90% evil
ImageImage

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:22 pm

Some of it's more "wry smilish", I must admit.

But the Sam Pekinpah cricket movie parody made me scream out loud, and the whole Spanish Inquisition the first time I saw it. And the Lumberjack song before everyone and their dog started singing it. "Finland, Finland, Finland" - but partly because I'm from Upper Michigan.

The Monty Python Papperbok also has some funny visual stuff, I wish they did more books.

But almost every young absurdist out there owes a debt to them, I'm sure.

I am bike-cheese!

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:11 pm

mohumbhai mania wrote:Some of it's more "wry smilish", I must admit.

But the Sam Pekinpah cricket movie parody made me scream out loud, and the whole Spanish Inquisition the first time I saw it. And the Lumberjack song before everyone and their dog started singing it. "Finland, Finland, Finland" - but partly because I'm from Upper Michigan.

Yep. Hilarious. Crunchy Frog was a good one too, as was the Ministry of Silly Walks, and the whole "I didn't come here for an argument" sketch. One that always cracked me up was the fake biography of the guy with the super long name - I can't remember it, of course - and the old guy who died in the middle of saying it. Hee hee!

mohumbai, are you starting to feel like I'm following you around?? I swear, I'm not trying to stalk you!

WomanInThePark
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby WomanInThePark » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:28 pm

I watch the show and I enjoy it. I don't really laugh at it though.
In my opinion the funniest part is his crazy non sequiters: "I really hate meeting babies."
Beth, did you really need to fake your death?

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:55 am

I like that one WomenInThePark, too!
Also his assertion that sticking DJ in front in front of any powerful name or phrase instantly reduces its power, i.e. "DJ Abraham Lincoln".

mockingbird I thought you thought I was stalking you. What a hilarious misunderstanding! :P

I am bike-cheese!

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:05 pm

I just read this on his bio-

Future projects for Martin include the lead role in the upcoming Ang Lee film, "Taking Woodstock," for Focus Features (slated for release this summer). He is writing the feature script, "Will," for Paramount Pictures. He is also co-writing, with James Bobin, the feature script, "The Moon People," for Sony Pictures with Mosaic Media Producing. Martin is also planning to clean up his apartment some time in 2009.

I love that he's going to be writing with James Bobin. Can't wait to hear more about it.
The cleaning of the apartment isn't quite as interesting.
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:15 pm

The bit on last week's show about the nursing home killed me. It was so wrong (particularly given that my grandpa was recently in one of them I shouldn't have found it funny) yet so right. :lol:
90% evil
ImageImage

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:36 pm

I know they say he's not on Twitter, but Fakedemetri is great-
Demetri Martin Inaction Figure: comes with a beanbag chair, Cheetos, universal remote, and a keg with a really long hose.

A snowman SWAT team surrounded a snowbank. The snowman robber came out and turned his blowdryer on himself.

Vegetarian Shark at the beach on 4th of July: None for me, thanks. I'll just have a seaweed salad and the Tempura Tofhuman

Is the plural of pie, Pii? Or does that just mean your drunk

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:36 pm

Unless he emailed them to tell them he was himself an imposter?

:hrm:

:worry:

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:09 am

Sherry wrote:Unless he emailed them to tell them he was himself an imposter?

:worry:

:eh:

Oh, I get it. :doh: Just a little slow on the uptake today. That's funny if it is.

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:16 am

I can imagine him doing something like that.

But on the other hand, none of the usual suspects follow him on Twitter I can see (Arj, Todd, Aziz, Eugene etc). But they follow each other. Mostly.

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:49 pm

This is all cool. I hope his scripts turn out well.

Stupid TiVo didn't record the last several repeats, so had to fix that.
Husband, who usually doesn't save anything on the TiVo, encouraged me to re-record ones we already saw, "in case we need cheering up".

That's a ringing endorsement!

I am bike-cheese!

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:59 pm

Sherry wrote:I can imagine him doing something like that.

But on the other hand, none of the usual suspects follow him on Twitter I can see (Arj, Todd, Aziz, Eugene etc). But they follow each other. Mostly.

You may have something there. Maybe, if I get a chance to run into one of them(Todd, Aziz, Eugene) here in Austin, I may just ask. Going to Eugene and Aziz's show tonight- pre-SXSW madness.

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:09 am

Just watched the last of his shows. Very funny. I read somewhere that he's a big fan of Steve Wright and counts him as his biggest influence. It really shows.

Anyway, he showed the trailer for this movie, Taking Woodstock, and it looks great. Fortunately, someone downloaded it on Youtube. The cast looks amazing and a little scary(ie-Liev Schreiber in drag?!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Iq8z2WDbKo

Return to “Conchords Cohorts”