Ronald Hugh Morrieson - Predicament's Author

Friends of the Conchords and those who've worked with them over the years...
LauraK
Boom King!

Re: 'Predicament' the book

Postby LauraK » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:25 pm

:lol: You guys are KILLING me!!
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:03 am

I'm at just about the half-way point and am really enjoying it.

I don't really have anything to add at this point, but just feel like torturing those who, like myself, don't want to click on the spoilers! *snigger*

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:43 am

NEW ARTICLE:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-daily-n ... redicament

Really the only bit I cared about was that it said the slated release was
around August next year

Less than a year to go! :cheer:

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:24 am

kellysouthpaw wrote:NEW ARTICLE:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-daily-n ... redicament

Really the only bit I cared about was that it said the slated release was
around August next year

Less than a year to go! :cheer:

Isn't the movie still filming? Talk about jumping the gun! Thanks for sharing the small-town politics that Morrieson wrote so eloquently about though, kelly!
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:08 pm

They were supposed to be done filming a couple weeks ago.
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:16 pm

Kelly- did you mail it yet? *bites nails* :nails:
ImageImage

slut_angel22@yahoo
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby slut_angel22@yahoo » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:27 pm

Jeez SheWolf, every time I read one of your posts I have to cover part of the screen so as not be overly distracted by Mr. Snakehips!
Bret: Have been sheared.
Jemaine: Have been shorn.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:40 pm

LauraK wrote:Kelly- did you mail it yet? *bites nails* :nails:

Yis, yis, yis! The book and the rest of your care package are on their way to you now! :D

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:48 pm

I finished it!

I really enjoyed it, and am almost sorry it's done. I think I may have to look into getting his three other books.

mohumbhai mania wrote:The ending is brilliant! And perfect. My jaw dropped when I read it.

Granny repeats the cycle - getting paid off and having to sacrifice.
Cedric gets exactly what he wants, but does he learn anything? At what cost? I suspect that
there will be further monsterousness in his future because he really doesn't pay for what he did.
His dad loses all those years of his life? And Cedric willing to go to those ends to protect himself?
And riding out of there on the only friend he still has? Amazing.

A great, ambiguous ending.

I'm with you on this MM. I agree that it was a somehow perfect ending.

Yes, the ending came quite suddenly and is somewhat anti-climatic, which makes the whole thing like something of a dream. I like how Morrieson crafts his 'hero'. You totally identify with him, and can't help but want him to get out of this mess. Meanwhile, he masterminded everything that happens to all of the characters in the book, whether intentionally or haplessly. In the end he gets everything he wants: no more Spook and Mervyn, no more tower, his Dad probably 'back to normal' and enough money to start fresh.

Carol wrote:I thought there would have been more about the tower. I mean, the tower was such a focal point and then, nothing really. I expected something sinister to happen in it or because of it. Granted, he made his father fall from it, but still.......I'm not the best at interpreting things, so maybe I just missed the boat.

Yeah, ok, I have to admit that was the one loose end that didn't get tied for me. It does stand out as an ominous character at first, but turns out to be more of a plot device. Then again, it sort of stands as a device for Cedric too. :hrm: I'll have to think of this one some more.

Finally, I couldn't find the quote but with regard to what was going to happen to the others, I thought it was pretty well sewn up. Blair Bramwell as much as spells it out in his brief convo with Mervyn in the cell. If the person who made the call was working with someone else that person will show up. Because Cedric doesn't show up, I figure they'll likely deduce that Mervyn did it, since he hadn't yet been nabbed when the first phone call was made. At least, that's how I read it.

As for Morrieson, I quite enjoyed reading his bio. I only read it after the book since I don't like that kind of info colouring my reading of the book. But I do find it fascinating that he sort of wrote this in a vaccum, with no knowledge of other writing styles. He really does do a good job with creating mood and tension. I can't say I considered this a comedy but I did really think it was awfully clever how he has his characters, and the narrator, play with words after Spook 'lost his head'.

Jeez, I feel like I'm writing a disertation here! But I do want to close by adding I can totally see Jemaine playing the Spook - in fact throughout the book I pictured all three of the characters as the actors playing the roles. But, if I hadn't seen him in the get up it would have been a different story. Oh my am I ever anxious for this movie to come out (praying for a theatrical release, or at least a film festival entry! :pray: )

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:41 pm

Suzy, I loved your analysis. As a former English lit major, I don't get to trot out the analysis that much.
More thoughts:

The tower is his impetus, and eventually his freedom. When when the tower gets pulled down, Cedric is free. Free to become a sociopath. And at the expense of his dad and grandma, but whatevs. LOL!

I suspect Morrieson probably read a of lot British, Australian, NZ and European authors,
most likely because that would have been the canon covered in his grammar school and college (HS) classes. He definitely seemed like an autodidact, and with that your knowledge can run deep but thin. I don't know if he was in a complete vacuum of influence - but I will say he's a very engaging, original writer. And I hope all his other stuff gets back into print.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:57 am

Just wanted to tell you, bakersgirl, I'm almost done with the book and I should be able to send it out Thursday. PM me your address!

It's a good book. I can't wait to peek under all these spoiler bars, lol. :shock: <--- me peeking

bakergirl30
Getting lewd with the food

Postby bakergirl30 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:02 am

Awesome Mock! Ill pm you now! :D
ImageImageImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:00 pm

Just wanted you to know that I got the book today, Kelly. :) I'm going to start it in about 15 minutes when I head to Jake's school to wait for him to get out.

I'm taking his note from Des with me. :) :hug:

Did you mean to put in that magnet? :worry:
ImageImage

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Magnet?? LOL was it in your purse that I returned? If so, that would explain where the one magnet from the fotc show I'm missing :)

Hope Jake enjoys the note - obviously I wrote it but Desmond DID sign it :) with. Little direction from me :D

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:26 pm

I'll mail it to you! I almost missed it in the bottom of the box (it was loose) and I knew what it was as soon as I saw it, lol. Yikes!

I'm sucked into the book already.....8)
ImageImage

Return to “Conchords Cohorts”