HBO DVD of Flight of The Conchords

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
Ami
Giving the paper to the people

Postby Ami » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:27 am

I bought the DVD today.. had to hunt around town for it. One store had it.. packed in boxes in the back and couldn't find it when I asked for it. Finally found it in the 3rd store I went to.

I think it was well worth it even though there are NO extras. Like someone said earlier, it's just nice to know you have all 12 episodes in high quality to watch whenever you want.

Ooooh and supporting the guys is definitely a plus too :)

FanBase
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby FanBase » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:49 am

FanBase wrote:Speaking of subtitles, I got an email from a guy in Spain who was wondering if someone could "extract Spanish subtitles" from the DVD. Is that even possible? Quite frankly, I'm not sure exactly what he meant. :|

Aha! :geek: Apparently there are DVD decriptor and subrip programs out there that can generate .sub files from the subtitles of a movie. Cool. If anyone knows how to do this, let me know. There are some Spanish-speakers in the forum who could use your help.
"That's not a fan base, that's just a woman."

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:58 pm

I just posted an update about the lack of extras on the Main news page.

I already have all the episodes saved so won't bother buying the DVD. Plus the publicity for the show over here sent me the press preview discs of it which are now floating round the house somewhere. :lol:

I'm all for supporting the guys but I am not lining HBO's pocket for such a poor show of content.

cassandrasnow
Consistently Mediocre

Postby cassandrasnow » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:55 pm

Sherry wrote:I'm all for supporting the guys but I am not lining HBO's pocket for such a poor show of content.

I couldn't have said it better myself. (I'm agreeing even though I've ordered the DVD - ..... I haven't seen the entire series yet :shock: ).

CursedCarolers
New arrival

Postby CursedCarolers » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:40 pm

I bet they'll rerelease it with extras when it seems profitable to them :lame:

k_obrien
Keeping it funky

Postby k_obrien » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:09 pm

This is disappointing :(

The DVD menus are nice, but there are no extras. No featurettes, no bloopers, no commentaries, not even a cast biography.

- 500 points, HBO.
Last edited by k_obrien on Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I saved a life today: my own. Does that make me a hero? I can't really say. But yes.

k_obrien
Keeping it funky

Postby k_obrien » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:12 pm

Although, and I know this will sound bad, this format of DVD is excellent for award viewing. If they have a polished product, but without the mess of special features...a lot of studios think that it makes for a better viewer set to submit to the Golden Globes, Emmys, etc. That's why they tend to rush them out. It's HBO, so I wouldn't be shocked if they had these made to sell and submit, and then re-release FOTC seasons 1+ 2 as a "double package" next year loaded with special features...
I saved a life today: my own. Does that make me a hero? I can't really say. But yes.

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:51 pm

I hate when they "repackage" things. Just another way to bilk us out of money for something we already own, all for a few minutes of extras or special packaging. :cross: That's to you- you greedy Hollywood types!!

Ok- so what's up with this packaging!?! Talk about annoying and wasteful! A plastic sleeve <<with no disernable function>> , that will just be discarded, with the cover photo of the boys on it. Just think of all the plastic trees that had to give their life up for that, it just disgust me to no end.

FanBase

Postby FanBase » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:56 am

Sherry wrote:I just posted an update about the lack of extras on the Main news page.

I already have all the episodes saved so won't bother buying the DVD. Plus the publicity for the show over here sent me the press preview discs of it which are now floating round the house somewhere. :lol:

I'm all for supporting the guys but I am not lining HBO's pocket for such a poor show of content.

You know, Sherry, I went to the HBO contact page that you linked to and Flight of the Conchords isn't even listed as one of HBO's programs. :cross:

At first I figured it was 'cuz the season's over, but Big Love's also out of season, and it has a place in the program listing. What gives?

Katie

Postby Katie » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:09 am

Whatever I guess, it's the episodes that matter anyhow. The DVD was not much price wise in comparison to some of the others. I once paid $60 for a Buffy DVD set. :shock: Stupid Best Buy....

Anyhow, I'm not as upset as I was about the no-extras bit because now all that matters is that I can watch all the episodes at my leisure.

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:43 am

FanBase wrote:You know, Sherry, I went to the HBO contact page that you linked to and Flight of the Conchords isn't even listed as one of HBO's programs. :cross:

At first I figured it was 'cuz the season's over, but Big Love's also out of season, and it has a place in the program listing. What gives?

Someone kindly sent me a better HBO link to contact them on.

Click here to contact HBO re the Conchords DVD

And no idea, maybe Big Love isn't on DVD yet? Or ever? No clue.

cassandrasnow
Consistently Mediocre

Postby cassandrasnow » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:14 am

Thanks for that new link Sherry. I just sent off my message.

deirdrelev
Lost but happy at sea

Postby deirdrelev » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:31 pm

HBO rushed it out not only so it would qualify for various, but also to get it out before Xmas. I'm sending mine back...I tivo'd all the episodes and don't need it. Hate depriving the guys of $$, but oh well. That's the way it goes...
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."—Oscar Wilde

FanBase

Postby FanBase » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:37 pm

Sherry wrote:And no idea, maybe Big Love isn't on DVD yet? Or ever? No clue.

Rome's still listed as a HBO program and as far as I know, it's over and done with...no more seasons, etc. I just wonder why they left the 'chords off the listing - like it doesn't even count or something. :cry:

Whatever. I'm thankful for the DVD, don't get me wrong, but I think HBO deserves to hear our honest opinions about the release. :|

cassandrasnow
Consistently Mediocre

Postby cassandrasnow » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:48 pm

FanBase wrote: I just wonder why they left the 'chords off the listing - like it doesn't even count or something. :cry:

I sent an email outlining several mistakes that HBO had made on their site regarding the fellas.... including spelling Jemaine with an 'R' (I would have thought that HBO would get his name right). I gave them a piece of my mind. Oh yes, I did indeedilly. I didn't get an email back but I believe the errors were fixed after that. :angelic:

Return to “HBO TV series”