A slightly different take on the HBO show.

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
GeauxTiger
New arrival

A slightly different take on the HBO show.

Postby GeauxTiger » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:27 am

I've looked around and I haven't seen anyone make this point so I figured I would.

I was drawn to the show because of the music I had come to enjoy. I had only heard about FOTC about two months or so before the first show aired by catching the old HBO half hour special On Demand. So...when I saw they had a show I couldn't wait to see it. And like many here who had come to enjoy their music so much, it took a while to get used to the show...and newish renditions of songs we'd come to love. Sometimes the song integration seemed to work, other times it didn't.

Then somewhere about midseason it dawned on me. I was no longer watching to hear the songs. Sure...they're funny as hell, but what I REALLY liked was the show itself. I liked watching Jemaine and Brett interact. I loved the subtelty of it all. I loved just how much information was in every scene...forcing you to watch and rewatch again to enjoy just how clever everything is. Unlike the article Sherry just linked to on the front page, I find it's lack of any really weighty story refreshing. That's just not what it's trying to do. They're making you laugh, not by the wild scenarios the guys find themselves in each week ala Larry David whom the writer seems to think is so funny (I do too, but I stopped watching Curb after a year or so because I found THAT type of thing repetitive) but by simple little things and the awkwardness of it all.

Truth is...I'd love this show if they never went to a video again. I'd think the show was incredibly funny and well worth the watch based soley on what they do when not playing.

So...I'm not concerned at all that they may not have song material yet for a season two. For me, it's not really needed.

rufus
Lost but happy at sea

Postby rufus » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:25 am

Well put.

I never heard of them until I saw a thread on a band forum.
::ahem:: Umphrey's McGee(check em out) ::ahem::

After the first episode I was hooked on the delivery and timing of the dialogue. The music was a bonus, but I know I would love this show without it.

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:54 am

I think you put that quite well, my cajun friend. As much as I like to see their music video's, I watch it for the actual story. Sure, you can dissect the show for days, but when you put it all together- story/music/actors- it's great fun. Also, the production of the show is much tighter now, there is a really nice flow to it.

I think a lot of people have trouble seperating the live act from the sit-com act. I mean, if people can take Lindsey Lohan or Hillary Duff serious as an actress AND a singer, can't we do that with the Conchords? :hrm:

:twisted: heeheehee...I just compared the guys with Lohan and Duff....i need sleep....

mwilcox
Giving the paper to the people

Postby mwilcox » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:19 am

I'm still watching mainly for the songs. The story is OK and there are some episodes (my favourite is still the Taika-directed #7) which I do like the story a lot, but the story is not nearly as good as the songs IMO.
Here comes michael, on his bi-cy-cle, lookin' as cool as a Fisher 'n' Paykel

http://www.black-magic.co.nz - NZ Film News

crimsonxking
New arrival

Postby crimsonxking » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:25 am

I agree. I am ashamed to admit I had not heard of the Conchords until I just randomly left my TV on after Entourage one night, it was the 3rd episode, Mugged. The entire thing just sucked me in and when they started singing, it was just amazing. So being as I never had any real connection or attachment to the songs before viewing the show, they feel as nice extras to me as well. Some episodes don't have any songs I really love, yet it is the show itself that draws me in. I will even go all out and say I like the show better than the stand-up.

mwilcox
Giving the paper to the people

Postby mwilcox » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:30 am

crimsonxking wrote:I agree. I am ashamed to admit I had not heard of the Conchords until I just randomly left my TV on after Entourage one night, it was the 3rd episode, Mugged. The entire thing just sucked me in and when they started singing, it was just amazing. So being as I never had any real connection or attachment to the songs before viewing the show, they feel as nice extras to me as well. Some episodes don't have any songs I really love, yet it is the show itself that draws me in. I will even go all out and say I like the show better than the stand-up.

I saw the pilot on the 'net as soon as it was online and I first heard they were doing a show in the US around the time of the FotC: Texan Odyssey on TV3 here. They didn't start showing up online until a few weeks after it started airing when I started watching the show properly.
Here comes michael, on his bi-cy-cle, lookin' as cool as a Fisher 'n' Paykel

http://www.black-magic.co.nz - NZ Film News

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Re: A slightly different take on the HBO show.

Postby Bad Atom » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:32 am

I was introduced to FOTC through their songs, specifically the One Night Stand. I enjoyed those so much that I immediately Netflix'ed the DVDs. I'll admit, it took me a few episodes before I truly 'got' the show, but once I did, I started liking it more than their songs. I think FOTC is at its best when the songs and the stories work together organically, but I'm certainly able to enjoy them separately.

Return to “HBO TV series”