Subtle visual gags in HBO series

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
opiate
Lost but happy at sea

Subtle visual gags in HBO series

Postby opiate » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:47 pm

Was hoping some people could point out some more of these.

The first time I watched the episode where the landlord fixes their sink, I didn't notice later Jemaine is filling up the kettle upside down and at 10 o'clock instead of 6.

Then the new fans episode on the wall when Bret is taking a whizz is a picture of a centaur? with Jemaine and Bret's heads stuck on it.

Please let me know some more like this!

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:30 pm

In the "What Goes On Tour" episode when they are playing at the airport. The little message board beside the door that says "Flight of the Conchords" also says Welcome (I can't remember the letters) but they are the initials for the womens water polo team.
Last edited by Johnnyp on Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Craig
Giving the paper to the people

Postby Craig » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:17 pm

It's not a centaur... it's some kind of bigfoot. But this creature later appears in the prince of parties video which is really just an acid trip for bret.

In fact most of the things in that video happened earlier in the episode and bret is reliving them during his acid trip. (murray as the devil giving him a beer, etc)

Alecia

Postby Alecia » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:52 pm

Craig wrote:It's not a centaur... it's some kind of bigfoot. But this creature later appears in the prince of parties video which is really just an acid trip for bret.

In fact most of the things in that video happened earlier in the episode and bret is reliving them during his acid trip. (murray as the devil giving him a beer, etc)

Murray was a goat cause his goatee makes him look like one =P
Official Jemainiac...
and damn proud!

"I’m even more ‘what what’ with the bitches." -Jemaine Clement

Craig

Postby Craig » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:54 pm

Alecia wrote:Murray was a goat cause his goatee makes him look like one =P

Ah yes, good call!

lovecellogirl
Lost but happy at sea

Postby lovecellogirl » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:51 am

There seems to be a strange anti-continuity to the shows. I realize that the order of the shows got shifted around, and that explains some of it. I actually love this about the show. It gives everything an off-balanced feel.

The faucet thing is one example. In the pilot, while riding down in the elevator, Eugene shows the guys a sample of the faucets he's buying for the whole building. He apparently never does because neither the kitchen nor bathroom sinks in the apartment are equipped with that particular faucet in later episodes.

In Sally Returns, Eugene (again) in the elevator (again) mentions not fixing the leak when he"s asking Jemaine if he's moving out because of something he did.

Then in Girlfriends you finally see him not fixing the leak.

Then there's the well known computer in Murray's office.

Not really on topic, but it struck me as so funny that baking a cake is mentioned in 2 episodes. In Yoko, Bret tries to get Jemaine to go over to Dave's and bake a cake so he can have the apartment. Then in Girlfriends, the "talking stove" says to Bret, "Let's bake a cake." Too funny. Do these guys bake cakes together on a regular basis? Is this what typical New Zealand guys do when they're hanging out together? Is Bret spending too much time tea-partying with his nana? :)

I also love how Sally dumps Jemaine in front of a No Dumping sign in the pilot.

gr67
New arrival

Postby gr67 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:55 am

in the episode where jemaine goes to jail and the boys go out looking for him (murray, dave and bret).

Dave has a paint ball gun and when they go to the jail to bail jemaine out you can see a paint ball mark on the back of murrays coat. Me and my friends laughed for ever after seeing that.

opiate
Lost but happy at sea

Postby opiate » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:18 pm

Ahh,

Yes the no dumping sign and the paintball on Murray's jacket are perfect examples of what I meant.

Hadn't noticed the former before!! :)

saffymatt
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby saffymatt » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:44 pm

I know this one is not visual, but it is one of my favorites. It's in the Bowie episode. Bret keeps telling everyone that he is not bulimic and at the end when they are sitting outside of Dave's pawn shop Jemaine asks Bret if he can have his biscuit and Bret says "Yeah, help yourself. I'm not eating anymore. I'm a bit too fat."
Set your Phasers on Funky!

bubbleGumPie
Lost but happy at sea

Postby bubbleGumPie » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:50 pm

Mel's t-shirt with Jemaine behind bars when he went to jail.

I also love the different funny New Zealand posters in Murray's office.

Just Mariah
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Just Mariah » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:00 am

Umm, in Sally Returns episode he sews a picture of her,
then in The Actor episode he has it on his shirt at the beginning.
"What is the bird?"

lovecellogirl
Lost but happy at sea

Postby lovecellogirl » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:32 am

In Mugged, Bret can't put the cups of tea down because the top of the bureau is full of mugs. Seemed sort of like a visual pun.

The_Wallaby
Keeping it funky

Postby The_Wallaby » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:37 pm

lovecellogirl wrote:
Not really on topic, but it struck me as so funny that baking a cake is mentioned in 2 episodes. In Yoko, Bret tries to get Jemaine to go over to Dave's and bake a cake so he can have the apartment. Then in Girlfriends, the "talking stove" says to Bret, "Let's bake a cake." Too funny. Do these guys bake cakes together on a regular basis? Is this what typical New Zealand guys do when they're hanging out together? Is Bret spending too much time tea-partying with his nana? :)

I also love how Sally dumps Jemaine in front of a No Dumping sign in the pilot.

I noticed the cake thing too! In "Sally" the guys go into Dave's pawn shop and the weird guy that plays Frank on 30 Rock is in there trying to sell a cake to Dave for a TV or $20. I just laugh cuz Bret says "It's a beautiful cake..."
:lol:

ParanoidAndroid
Half a shapely halibut

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:14 pm

lovecellogirl wrote:Not really on topic, but it struck me as so funny that baking a cake is mentioned in 2 episodes. In Yoko, Bret tries to get Jemaine to go over to Dave's and bake a cake so he can have the apartment. Then in Girlfriends, the "talking stove" says to Bret, "Let's bake a cake." Too funny. Do these guys bake cakes together on a regular basis? Is this what typical New Zealand guys do when they're hanging out together? Is Bret spending too much time tea-partying with his nana? :)

Maybe they are fans of the Icelandic show "Lazy Town"...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-azqXygCzO8
creepy show.
"We'll have puppet shows. Or use them when we're writing scripts"-Bret

The_Wallaby
Keeping it funky

Postby The_Wallaby » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:52 pm

oh my gosh that is by far one of the creepiest things I've seen on Youtube...lol and that's sayin a lot! :lol:

Return to “HBO TV series”