No new HBO second season til 2009

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
JulesJules
Registered Rhymnecologist

Re: No new HBO second season til 2009

Postby JulesJules » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:04 pm

Anybody know what the issues are? I know when the writers went on strike, it was over royalties for DVD sales etc.

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:36 pm

JulesJules wrote:Anybody know what the issues are? I know when the writers went on strike, it was over royalties for DVD sales etc.

The main issues are the same as writers, the royalties on new technology, like the internet and DVD. I think the internet is the biggest snag, I mean, how do you keep track of your property on-line? Sounds like a huge black hole to me. If you want to check out their other issues, go to http://www.sag.org/.
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:25 am

tvldiva wrote:Since I have trouble with anagrams :worry:, here is the latest from SAG straight from their offical site. So many letters, so little words!

Los Angeles, July 16, 2008 – Small contingents of the negotiating committees for Screen Actors Guild and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers met for two hours today at AMPTP headquarters in Sherman Oaks. Both parties agreed to keep the contents of today’s meeting confidential.

We have no further comment.

XXX

Wow, what's up with the kisskiss(XXX)? They are so like my disfunctional family. "We won't tell you anything-- kiss kiss"
Yikes!

XXX???? Ewwwwwwww! :shock: That is just too bizarre!

Maybe it's a good thing that they're keeping the meetings results quiet. Sometimes when the spotlight shines on those negotiating, the issues take a back seat to image. I hope they keep talking.

You're right about the internet/black hole problem. I still don't know how they keep track of everyone appearing in commercials to pay them residuals, but I know for a fact they do. It just seems as though it would be difficult to do the same for the internet, but I can see why the actors want their performances protected with some sort of payment schedule. The nuts and bolts of how to do it are way beyond me. :hrm:

Here's to both sides figuring out a fair contract, and no strike!!!
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

bibliaddict
Consistently Mediocre

Postby bibliaddict » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:45 am

On the FotC board over on Television Without Pity, someone stated that FotC were members of AFTRA, and since their contact had already been settled they would not be affected by the SAG contract dispute. Can anyone confirm this info?
Spandex Inspector #12

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:27 am

I'm a member of Actors Equity, the stage actors union. I was a member of AFTRA, and it was my understanding that it covered radio voiceovers, tv voiceovers, and videotaped tv, not filmed tv, or movies. I always thought that SAG covered film, whether it be movies or tv, but I just found out that Curb Your Enthusiasm, which is on film, is under an AFTRA contract. This is all new and a little confusing to me. So if the guys are under an AFTRA contract as well, they have an agreement, and the possible strike shouldn't affect them. Yay!! That is, if they indeed are working under an AFTRA contract.
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:57 pm

bibliaddict wrote:On the FotC board over on Television Without Pity, someone stated that FotC were members of AFTRA, and since their contact had already been settled they would not be affected by the SAG contract dispute. Can anyone confirm this info?

I don't know if only one actor's union can call a strike, but even if only one does, no other union will cross a picket line. I could be wrong, but I think that, even with 2 separate unions here, they are looking at one contract. There has been some projects that have been approved to continue, strike or not, but they are mainly small Independant films.

Also, there are alot of actors that are members of both because they do both film and tv work. There are some that are only in one, but do both mediums. I find that there is too much politics in most unions and they end up defeating their own purpose. Only the top names make out ok, while the little worker bees get crushed in the process.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:53 pm

I can't believe I forgot about the unions supporting each other. Of course - if one goes out on strike, the others show their support by not crossing picket lines. If you remember, during the Writers Strike, every once in a while you'd see some name actor show up to hold a sign, etc.
This is a very tricky situation, because quite a lot of actors belong to both unions. Since AFTRA basically agreed to a contract, SAG's position is a little weaker because of it. I'm not sure why the two unions chose to negotiate separately, since I don't think they ever did before.
I agree that unions can get very political, but I'm glad for the protection I get under AEA. When I do a show, I'm guaranteed humane working conditions with breaks during rehearsals, a theatre that's run by union stagehands (and the safety factor alone is invaluable), a show schedule that's reasonable (8 per week), and pretty decent pay.
Believe me, I can see why unions aren't popular, but having worked both union and non-union, there's no comparison.
Okay, I got carried away - sorry for straying. Tv, you have a good sense of what's going on - we should chat more about this!
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:09 am

The director I usually work for dropped out of the Directors union a few years back and caused a big wave. He was also in the WGA but dropped out there too. His sets are full of unions, but being Texas, things are treated differently. Maybe it's all the Texas crews and the distance between Austin/LA, but things are just more laid back. Just a lot of free range actors roaming the city. Ask Deidra, the first time we meet, I told her that even on a Sunday (mid)morning, we had a very good chance to see a celebrity. As we were walking over to Las Manitas, there was Owen Wilson coming right toward us. Sent her daughter over the moon!

But these big unions do have to power to affect every single person involved. I just wish they would deal with the usual stuff now to avoid another damning strike, with an ablity to keep working on the internet crap. This nonsense is not going to be worked out in the next couple of days or weeks, it will probably take months to years to figure it out rationally for all involved. This would of course be to logical to get a seperate rider that could be added to the contract or I'm just talking out of my a$$. :dunno:

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:39 pm

Keep talking - you're coming up on 500 posts!!!

I think you've got a very good idea as far as dealing with the usual stuff now, and holding off on a rider-type thing for the troublesome internet issue.
It would be crippling for them to go out on strike. I really hope they find some common ground so the guys can get on with their second season.
I feel as though Jemaine would have some funny label for it, like his "Russian doll situation" comment. Wish I were witty enough to come up with one.
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:26 am

Nancy Hillner wrote:Keep talking - you're coming up on 500 posts!!!

:shhh: We don't talk about that. Its a terrible habit Ms Diva has posting so often and racking up her post count for everyone to see.

Terrible, just terrible :fence:

Return to “HBO TV series”