No new HBO second season til 2009

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
Emafer

Postby Emafer » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:46 am

OH.MY.GOD! That is HIALRIOUS!!!! I have tears running down my face. I especially love the ads on the front page for the other offices in Murray's building. We keep joking that we are going to make a sign over our front door that says. "Stewart's WHolesale Meats" hahahahaha

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby Bad Atom » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:57 am

That site cracked me up.

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Re: No new HBO second season til 2009

Postby tvldiva » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:03 pm

Looks like there will be an actor's strike. Depending on how long the strike last, it can mess with next season's shows. :doh: At least the guys can keep on writing, they just can't act. Wait- that didn't come out right. Oh, you know what I mean. :hrm:

Union Votes Down Deal
11 July 2008 5:08 AM, PDT

Latest: A Hollywood union has taken the first step towards an actors strike - by voting down a proposed deal with studio bosses.

Members of the 120,000-strong Screen Actors Guild (SAG) have rejected a three-year deal offered by the major Hollywood studios and TV networks.

After five hours of talks on Thursday, union bosses dismissed the proposed contract.

They then presented their own counter-offer, which was rejected by the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP) - the body representing the major studios and networks.

The news comes just three days after Hollywood's smaller union, the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (AFTRA), voted in favour of a deal with the AMPTP.

But the decision by SAG members brings the threat of an actor's strike this summer a step closer - with AMPTP bosses refusing to renegotiate the deal, and SAG chiefs vowing to fight on to secure a better deal for their members.

A representative for the AMPTP says, "We made it clear our final (offer) is our final and that we're not interested in further counter-proposals.

"The last thing we need is a long, hot summer of labour strife that puts even more pressure on a badly struggling economy and deprives audiences of the entertainment they clearly desire in such difficult times."

:hrmpf: :sosad:
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

H....
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby H.... » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:20 am

I'm not a happy bunny.
Throw us your potatoes!

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:40 pm

tvldiva wrote:Looks like there will be an actor's strike. Depending on how long the strike last, it can mess with next season's shows. :doh: At least the guys can keep on writing, they just can't act. Wait- that didn't come out right. Oh, you know what I mean. :hrm:

Hehehehe :lol:

Luckily I do :purple:

And o crap :waiting: I guess we just have to be patient a bit longer :)

JulesJules
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby JulesJules » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:10 am

Well poop!

Ratashak
Keeping it funky

Postby Ratashak » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:54 pm

Patience, grasshoppers. It is in everyone's best interest to have enough time to create art. These kinds of things just cannot be rushed. If they began this collaboration in 1998 and 10 years later they've perfected some awesome material, what makes anyone think they can pull such amazing feats in 1 year? I personally would rather wait for something of equal quality. I have a "Dilbert" cartoon on my bulletin board that says "I decided to base your salary on the number pages you write" (supervisor to employee "Tina the Tech Writer"). "Fine, I'll give you a high volume of low quality work" (Tina). The same applies with art.

JulesJules

Postby JulesJules » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:38 pm

That's true, but the delay isn't being caused because the guys feel the need more time. It's being caused by a strike, which is totally different. IF the strike occurs that is.

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:16 pm

JulesJules wrote:That's true, but the delay isn't being caused because the guys feel the need more time. It's being caused by a strike, which is totally different. IF the strike occurs that is.

This actor's "strike" isn't holding anything up for now. Some productions voluntarily held off or stopped productions, while most kept on going. Also, SAG did signed a deal with a lot of independant productions, so even if there were a strike, they could continue. The actor's contract ended on June 30, and as of July 16, they are still in negotiations. I'm hoping that is a good sign of cooperation between the producers and actors unions. :pray:

For what it's worth, my guess is there were a couple of things that delayed the second season.
1) The first one being the writers strike held it back from being put out in June. I really doubt if they would have had approved scripts in that amount of time. It would have given them only 6 months, tops, to right them before filming. Just doesn't sound viable to me.
2) The guys just didn't have time to get a good quality script out with in that time frame. With touring, recording an album, and personal projects- time just wasn't on their side. This is fine, I'd rather it be delayed until the time is right, over pushing out a incomplete project.
3) HBO likes to premiere new seasons either in June or January. January gives all the strike talks to resolve itself and the guys have some time to really tighten up their scripts.

I lean toward a combo of 2 and 3. Writing and performing just can't be cranked out like a car(unless you count Two and a half Men). Most TV shows have teams of writers and then they have the talent. The Conchords have to write scripts, songs, record and perform all their shows. Hopefully they learned that a 7 day work week, for 6 months, isn't the only way to shoot a series. :hrm:

I'm grateful for the delay, for whatever the reason is. I would rather have 6 great episodes than 20 crappy ones. Quality over quanity anyday! :angelic:

JulesJules

Postby JulesJules » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:52 pm

Well, I wasn't expecting the new season until January 2009 anyway, and I'm good with that. If there is an actor's strike that wouldn't be covered by some prior agreement, and that delays the show again, I think I will live. :lol:

H....
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby H.... » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:24 pm

And we all know that they wouldn't want to put any old rubbish out. I don't feel that they'd want that on their minds.
Throw us your potatoes!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:06 pm

Phew I like what Diva had to say. Perhaps productions won't be effected. I can wait until Jan for 2nd season no problemo. But I don't want anything messing with their mid- August NYC shooting schedule dammit!
90% evil
ImageImage

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:03 am

I just read that AMPTP and SAG(the two actors unions) are getting together to "talk". So far, these two have not agreed on anything, so who knows what they are going to do. It would be nice if they could come to an agreement and let everyone get on with work! There are alot of below the line workers(like myself) that have been struggling since the writers strike.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:34 am

tvldiva wrote:I just read that AMPTP and SAG(the two actors unions) are getting together to "talk". So far, these two have not agreed on anything, so who knows what they are going to do. It would be nice if they could come to an agreement and let everyone get on with work! There are alot of below the line workers(like myself) that have been struggling since the writers strike.

Did you mean AFTRA, the actors union that already agreed to a contract? I thought AMPTP was the producers. Well, whoever they're meeting with, good. Better to have them talking.
I'm afraid SAG hasn't presented its case to the public very well. I know they were mad at AFTRA for settling at what they thought was below desirable fees. But what did they come back to the producers with? Anything they could really justify? SAG needs to garner the public's support if God forbid a strike is imminent. Tell us why we should support your possible walkout.
My brother's neighbor's son writes for According To Jim, and they were telling him the writers' strike was truly devastating for him. Luckily, Jim Belushi was very helpful during the downtime. It's not the big stars who get slammed when there's a work stoppage. The little guy gets hurt the most.
My best wishes for a speedy contract agreement so everyone can maintain an even keel, and we can greet 2009 happily with new Conchords episodes!!!
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:53 am

Since I have trouble with anagrams :worry:, here is the latest from SAG straight from their offical site. So many letters, so little words!

Los Angeles, July 16, 2008 – Small contingents of the negotiating committees for Screen Actors Guild and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers met for two hours today at AMPTP headquarters in Sherman Oaks. Both parties agreed to keep the contents of today’s meeting confidential.

We have no further comment.

XXX

Wow, what's up with the kisskiss(XXX)? They are so like my disfunctional family. "We won't tell you anything-- kiss kiss"
Yikes!

Return to “HBO TV series”