FOTC HBO Series: second season speculation and spoilers

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
Zap
Lost but happy at sea

FOTC HBO Series: second season speculation and spoilers

Postby Zap » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:36 pm

January 2009 seems a long way off...plenty of time to think about what we might see in the next season!

I read in an interview somewhere (sorry, can't remember where exactly) that the most common idea pitched to the guys is "a friend or relative from NZ comes and crashes on the couch." Yeah, I'd probably like to see that.

Also, have the writers/directors for the new episodes been announced anywhere? I would love to see the entire season written by Duncan Sarkies and directed by Taika Waititi. I thought "New Fans" was flawless -- a sweetly daffy take on drugs and threesomes! It felt very much like an R-rated Monkees episode, which I think is a good thing.

Blackbird
New arrival

Postby Blackbird » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:53 pm

As messed up as it might sound, I'm glad the second season isn't planned to start until next year. I'll be abroad for the fall and would hate to miss it. I just hope there's enough time to come up with enough material. Is there usually a "sophomore slump" for TV shows?

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:07 pm

Blackbird wrote:I just hope there's enough time to come up with enough material. Is there usually a "sophomore slump" for TV shows?

I'm not expecting a third series so kind of hoping they can keep up the good work.

Zap
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Zap » Thu May 01, 2008 3:13 pm

I've also got my fingers crossed -- they used up, what, a decade's worth of material with the first season? Even with a 1/09 release and the extra time given by the writers' strike, that is a lot of ground to make up in two years.

I once heard Jerry Seinfeld say that after he became really famous it was difficult to write new material -- he didn't think people wanted to hear "limo jokes". I wouldn't mind seeing FoTC storylines about being successful in the series, as long as they keep the naivete of the characters -- although it was just a quick bit, I thought this was done well with Murray in the penultimate scene of "The Third Conchord". Even though he was now a gelled and successful BMW-driving band manager, he was still impressed by being served parfaits, and his status shoe was the same dumpy black brogue I imagine he wore beforehand.

If they do go in that direction, it would be interesting to see how Bret and Jemaine interpret their current successful career. Are they happy? Do they enjoy their fame? Do they want to return to being simple beekeepers?

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sun May 04, 2008 7:32 pm

Zap wrote: I wouldn't mind seeing FoTC storylines about being successful in the series, as long as they keep the naivete of the characters --

That would be HILARIOUS! Two totally niave un-with it guys trying to cope in the fast paced life of show biz. You know like being in the limo and there being so many buttons on the door they don't know how to roll down the window. Or people wanting to have thier picture taken and Bret just takes the picture of the two fanst together because he doesn't get that they want a picture of HIM. Hiring Dave as a Bodyguard hahahahahahaha. There could be a million funny possibilities.

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Sun May 04, 2008 7:34 pm

Oh and still being just as broke. Becuase fame and money don't necessiarily go hand in hand. So they still live in the same crummy apartment.

onewithdog
Half a shapely halibut

Postby onewithdog » Tue May 06, 2008 5:20 am

I dont want to throw names around (because i dont know hers) but a friend of mines roomate works for the show. I need to contact them. I would do anything to be an extra. ANYTHING

slut_angel22@yahoo
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby slut_angel22@yahoo » Tue May 06, 2008 6:09 pm

Oh and still being just as broke. Becuase fame and money don't necessiarily go hand in hand. So they still live in the same crummy apartment.

Yeah and it could be because ticket scalpers are scoffing up all their profits from their gigs.

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Tue May 06, 2008 7:37 pm

wsdewitt wrote:

Yeah and it could be because ticket scalpers are scoffing up all their profits from their gigs.

Scalper don't take profits away fomr the band. So long as tickets are purchased the band is making money.

I've been in the music business for most of my life and 90% of professional musicians, famous or not, aren't rich. They don't usually have health insurance and it's feast or famine lifestyle.

slut_angel22@yahoo
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby slut_angel22@yahoo » Tue May 06, 2008 8:27 pm

oh I know the scalpers don't take the money literally from their pockets, but a percentage of the amount the fans pay the scalpers could just as well been going to the band. Maybe they would learn that they could be charging a heck of a lot more for seeing them than they are and it could turn into an ethical/moral issue...

JulesJules
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby JulesJules » Thu May 08, 2008 4:42 pm

When scalpers started getting $800 for the initial run of "The Producers" on Broadway, they raised the actual ticket price to $800, or so the rumor goes.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon May 12, 2008 9:19 pm

After the 5/6 show at Town Hall, I asked Todd Berry if there were any plans to use him in the second season, given the fact that Murray was now his manager and was living the good life, and Mel was his fan. He said he hadn't really thought about it, but it was a valid point. I'd love to see something happen like PETA getting all over the "Doggy Bounce" as unethical, and having Todd's character fall out of grace with the public, so Murray would come crawling back to the guys. Or something..... I love hearing your ideas!
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

daisydog
New arrival

Postby daisydog » Tue May 13, 2008 8:57 pm

Just want to throw this opinion out there--

If a third season is an option, HBO could entice them by being flexible with the schedule and air dates. How many of us are Sopranos fans who waited something like 18 months between seasons? It was hard but worth the wait because quality writing takes time. I'd wait 18 months for more Conchords! (Actually, aren't we now?) The show seems to be the only thing HBO has with any kind of buzz. Plus, the extended time off would give the band plenty of time to do their own projects and regroup to write.

Not that I want to see the show wear out its welcome, either. But if it's successful and works, why stop now?

I'm taking my marketing hat off now....it's just the thought of only one more season of new episodes and then the show ending forever is way too hard to accept! :)

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed May 14, 2008 3:38 am

I think that by the time the new season airs in Jan '09 it will have been about 16 months between episodes. I agree - quality work takes time. If we can last that long for "The Sopranos", we can last that long for FOTC, even though it's hard. And I think you're right - we'll happily wait again another 16-18 months if it means a third season to look forward to. If the new songs they're doing on tour are any indication, they're still creating funny stuff that's good musically, so the writers' strike was a godsend for them. Now if the Grammy-Award-winners could pick up a couple of Emmys and Golden Globes, that would be perfect!
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby Bad Atom » Thu May 22, 2008 1:46 am

I'd like to see how it all started, how the guys arrived in America for the first time and met Murray (because they lost their passports) and how Mel became their biggest fan. I'm a sucker for a good flashback.

I'm also hoping they cut back a little on the songs used in the show. I love their music, but to me the show works better with fewer songs, or songs that work better with the narrative. I don't want them to try and squeeze every song they've ever done into the show.

Return to “HBO TV series”