HBO Flight of The Conchords show - Season Two - Ep 1

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Re: HBO Flight of The Conchords show - Season Two - Ep 1

Postby LSully9 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:08 am

I don't really have much to say that hasn't already been said... I did love it, but it feels like something is missing... But perhaps it's "first-ep nerves" or something and once everyone really gets back in character it'll be even more awesome... :) The thing I really like about FotC is that everything seems to have many layers (like, onions... or ogres). The more you watch it, the more you pick up on things. So I'm sure the more I watch this, the more I'm going to love it.

As far as Angels: yes, I love the FTW version, and this is different, but I think I could grow to really appreciate it just as much... But I loved how Murray set that up! Soon as he said the guys had guardian angels watching over them I knew it was coming! That was one of those songs that I couldn't imagine them working in but they did.

And I'm pretty sure that "stuff you!" is going to make it into my daily vocabulary... Oh yes... :wink: :lol:
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

LSully9

Postby LSully9 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:11 am

Thanks for the screen cap SA! I think I have found a new Christmasy background for my mobile. :D Angels are Christmasy after all... :wink:
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:58 am

I only watched it once, between dealings with the airlines(the US is a freakin mess today!!!). I only have one thing to say- Rhys rocks!! He was brilliant here. I loved his song, it was kinda like bizarro world Murray- the same yet different. My favorite was him at the consulate and that no one ever got his letter! He was gone for months but no one noticed. Typical Murray- sad yet funny.

Best line of the show is "I particularly like one of you." You could see their hair move as it went right over them! :clap:
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

LSully9

Postby LSully9 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:25 am

That was a great line. I also liked the one about Bret's dad being sheep lawyer. :roll2: And the toothpaste scene quite possibly may give me nightmares...

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:52 am

On second viewing, I picked up some more favorite moments:

I loved Murray's office - that place made the guys uncomfortable, which I found funny, especially when the movers showed up early.

I liked Bret's teeny, tiny piece of paper that said, "Murray, you're fired."

"It's not gonna stop, it's never gonna stop. They're hitmakers" - Murray

At the bar, Murray describing the guys as "too devious".

And TV, I also loved, "I particularly liked one of you" - although he words it a bit funnier on the BBC recording, but hey, it's still funny! :lol:

"I know what advertising people are like - I've been to Bangkok" - Murray :roll2:

"persona non regatta" - Murray :rolls: :roll2: :bounce:

And Murray hugging the desk, after seeing no one saw his "stuff it" note.

Gee, looking at my quotes, I guess I liked Rhys in this episode, but I enjoyed seeing everyone again - a lot!!!! :yay:
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

LSully9

Postby LSully9 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:56 am

It was a good Murray ep... He had a lot of great moments/lines.

ceebeecee
New arrival

Postby ceebeecee » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:38 am

My favorite bit so far is when Bret shows Jemaine the dolls and Jemaine says, "How'd you get the jacket so realistic?"
Bret replies, "It's real denim."
When Jemaine turns around you notice three doll-sized jacket cut-outs from the denim jacket that Jemaine is wearing.

Angels was tamer in the show than when I saw them perform it live this past May. In person, the song was much naughtier. Still, loved the sweeter version in the show.

Also, love the Grammy exchange and the look on Bret's face when Murray is talking about it. :D
"When I saw you tonight I thought here's two men who know exactly what women feel like."

hellomyfriend
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby hellomyfriend » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:23 am

I'm only here to post Bret's shocked reaction to the faked Grammy:

:biggrin:

LSully9

Postby LSully9 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:56 pm

Lol!!! Love it!!!! Goodbye Angel Bret pic wallpaper!!! :thinks about it, think thinks about it: Well, not goodbye but I think there might be a rotation... :wink:

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:21 pm

Hello, we miss you! It's so nice when you're here.

I love that screenshot of Bret's genuinely horrified "They're not real?!?" expression. Oh Murray Hewitt, you are a crusher of dreams. It cracks me up that not only did Murray fake a Grammy to make the boys feel better about themselves, he made a pretend one for himself, too. Hee! Playing make-believe is a perilous business!

I'm also extremely fond of the T-shirt Bret is wearing in that scene - it's a lovely nod of the head towards the Sexy Flower, isn't it? I do worry that he's showing a bit too much arm there, though. Girls might think he's easy and try to take advantage of him.

Or possibly just me.

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

ceebeecee
New arrival

Postby ceebeecee » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:42 pm

:lol: Thanks for the "They're not real" photo. Still chuckling about that one.

Re: Murray's song. It reminds me of Harry Nilson's "I Can't Live (If Living Is Without You)."

Any other ideas?
"When I saw you tonight I thought here's two men who know exactly what women feel like."

bibliaddict
Consistently Mediocre

Postby bibliaddict » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:37 pm

Bret's face through the whole first scene in Murray's glitzy office was perfect. He's so looks so defiant & contemptuous while Murray keeps referring to the Crazy Dogggs, then the look of shock about the awards - classic! And when Jemaine acted like he was surprised when Bret was firing Murray - brilliant!

Although I'm slightly disappointed overall after first viewing, I'm sure I'll pick up other subtleties every time I re-view. That's what I love best about the show, layer after layer of humor.
Spandex Inspector #12

Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Val2150 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:08 pm

LSully9 wrote:And I'm pretty sure that "stuff you!" is going to make it into my daily vocabulary... Oh yes... :wink: :lol:

I love Murray's creative swearing! I'm going to start calling people turkeys and telling them to go stuff themselves. :lol:
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:26 pm

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
90% evil
ImageImage

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:34 pm

Nancy Hillner wrote: I also loved, "I particularly liked one of you" -although he words it a bit funnier on the BBC recording, but hey, it's still funny! :lol: :
I would have probably thought it was really funny had I not heard the way it was done on the BBC which was so much better. I still think that's my biggest disappointment, Proops's character on the BBC was written so well, oh well...I'll get over it.

Nancy Hillner wrote:And Murray hugging the desk, after seeing no one saw his "stuff it" note. Gee, looking at my quotes, I guess I liked Rhys in this episode, but I enjoyed seeing everyone again - a lot!!!! :yay:
It was a particularly Murray-centric episode and Rhys was stellar as usual. Loved Murray hugging the desk. I'm so glad he's back at the consulate doing what he does best.

BTW a continuity mistake I noticed - in the shot after Murray removes the underwear from Bret's car seat, it's back. :lol:

And yeah, Angels sounded better upon second viewing.
90% evil
ImageImage

Return to “HBO TV series”