HBO Flight of The Conchords show - Season Two - Ep 1

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Re: HBO Flight of The Conchords show - Season Two - Ep 1

Postby ASmallTurnip » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:02 pm

I don't know about GymBret.

I have an innate distrust of anyone who spends a lot of time working out in a gym. I do. There's something so......self-consciously narcissistic about it. I mean, hiking is awesome, bicycling up and down hills and mountains is amazing. Playing tennis or basketball or a pick-up game of cricket or football in the park on a sunny afternoon is what legs and arms were made for. It feels so good.

But gym time with a personal trainer? IS THE MOST BORING THING IN THE HISTORY OF BORING THINGS. In my experience, men who spend a lot of time in gyms are, by and large, fairly strong on self-absorption. Doesn't it seem slightly weird that Bret, that most whimsical and laughingly self-deprecating lad, would choose to spend his free time doing squats and deadlifts with Chad the Personal Trainer to get.....I don't know. Bigger? Beefier? More cut?

It's odd. It....sounds very, um....Hollywood. And not very much like Bret. "Filming the second season of your hit HBO sitcom? Best be gettin' on that elliptical machine, son." It makes me wonder if that kind of thinking has touched a nerve with Bret. And that? Would make me just a little bit sad. Don't feel body-conscious, Rhymenoceros!

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Val2150 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:04 pm

I thought Bret looked great too. Not really bulked-up from going to the gym, per se, but just like he gained a little weight. Which is good. But like SW said, I was too occupied with noticing that Jemaine looked nice to notice much else. :oops: I liked that Jemaine's hair was a little shorter - I wasn't too keen on the mini-mullet he seemed to have going on in a few episodes last season.
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:15 pm

I don't think it was a good hair day for Jemaine. Or maybe it's coz I know that when it's long he's got those lovely, lustrous, wavy locks and when it's short it's just straight and blah. Those bangs looked kind of goofy to me. I think his hair looked perfect in the Sally episode, it was relatively short but totally wavy and doing it's own thing. The bangs didn't just lie there in a staight lump, they had pizzazz :)

I think it was some blogger or other who mentioned, many months ago, that Bret had a trainer, was it in LA? It sounded very un FOTC and very fake LA. Someone also said that he and Jemaine were tanning in Bret's yard, which sounded a bit girlie to me but that's not to say I wouldn't want to see it if given the opportunity.
90% evil
ImageImage

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:33 pm

I'm not sure if this is a spoiler or not but SPOILER ALERT (just in case)

Episode 2 is called The New Cup & it appears to be the man-ho episode *squeal* Here's the preview which doesn't divulge any plot:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LGxuaCp0zNU
90% evil
ImageImage

dangerous person
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby dangerous person » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:39 pm

boy that clip was fast!!! Cool dancing though :D

I cannot believe Bret would become one of these gym junkies.... that would be very sad indeed. If it's true I'd like to think it was a one-off 'get-into-shape' thing and he won't turn into a New Zealand replica of Arnie.
"We're a novelty music act, we're not a freak show"

hellomyfriend
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby hellomyfriend » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:57 pm

dangerous person wrote:I cannot believe Bret would become one of these gym junkies.... that would be very sad indeed. If it's true I'd like to think it was a one-off 'get-into-shape' thing and he won't turn into a New Zealand replica of Arnie.

He probably just felt a bit body-conscious and wanted to gain a few pounds (similar to most women wanting to lose a few). I can't see Bret as caring that much about it ... he's not vain. He'll always be our bony, boisterous, beautiful Bret-y. :heartbeat:

LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Postby LSully9 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:54 pm

ASmallTurnip wrote:But gym time with a personal trainer? IS THE MOST BORING THING IN THE HISTORY OF BORING THINGS.

I shall try not to be too put out by this comment as don't think Turnip knows that that is the occupation pays my bills.

And while I can't really comment as to whether our beloved Bret has become a gym-rat because I thought that his arms were quite nicely defined before ( :thumb: ), I can at least confirm that he has not been working with me... And I'm a little put out about that... I shall be mailing him my business card on the off chance he wants to hook up... er, I mean work out. :wink:
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:55 pm

dangerous person wrote:boy that clip was fast!!! Cool dancing though :D
Words cannot express how happy that dancing makes me. I think I like those 4 seconds more than the entire first episode. Look at Jem move!

Thanks shianne & sargifster.

90% evil
ImageImage

LSully9

Postby LSully9 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:23 am

I think I love that clip.
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:50 am

LSully9 wrote:I shall try not to be too put out by this comment as don't think Turnip knows that that is the occupation pays my bills.

Aaaah! Sully. :sosad: One day, I'll learn to keep my goddamn trap shut. I'm really sorry. Please pay no attention to me, because I am not really fit for human interaction today. My brother flew home last night, and while it's lovely to see my boy, I'm very worried about him. He's always been a keen athlete, doing marathons and all that, but he's been spending a lot of time in the gym in the last six months, and he's really looking...strained. Like, super-strained. He's overdoing it. And he's been talking non-stop about lactic acidosis and aerobic conditioning and it frankly makes me want to cry. I think he needs some help, and I'm not sure what I can usefully do or say.

So when I logged on to WTF and heard that my beloved Bret, who with his scrawny sweetness makes my heart go pitter-patter, had submitted to the gym yoke, I just felt a desperately down. And I projected my own damn personal worries on to someone else, and I really, really hope I didn't hurt your feelings. Please forgive my rudeness, Sully. I hate that I might have made you feel badly. I wish I hadn't said anything.

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Val2150 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:43 am

SheWolf wrote:Episode 2 is called The New Cup & it appears to be the man-ho episode *squeal* Here's the preview which doesn't divulge any plot:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LGxuaCp0zNU

WHOA. Back up for a minute. Are you telling me the next episode has that dancing in it and one of our boys being a man-ho? :roll2: Why didn't I hear about this? I don't think words can describe how awesome that is. *Trots off to activate HBO on her cable* How are more people not watching this show?

But on a serious note, I'm sorry to hear of your concern for your brother Turnip. I know it's tough to worry about a family member and feel like you can't do anything. But just being there for family makes all the difference in the world, and you sound like an awesome sister to be so concerned. :hug:
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania

sarpugster
Lost but happy at sea

Postby sarpugster » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:20 am

SheWolf wrote:
dangerous person wrote:boy that clip was fast!!! Cool dancing though :D
Words cannot express how happy that dancing makes me. I think I like those 4 seconds more than the entire first episode. Look at Jem move!

Thanks shianne & sargifster.

You are more than welcome... :D

Glad to see even more people enjoying the joy that is the Conchords dancing! :D I can't wait to see the full thing!

Thanks for the credit though, SheWolf - much appreciated... :)

LSully9

Postby LSully9 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:15 am

ASmallTurnip wrote:
LSully9 wrote:And I projected my own damn personal worries on to someone else, and I really, really hope I didn't hurt your feelings. Please forgive my rudeness, Sully. I hate that I might have made you feel badly. I wish I hadn't said anything.

Awww turnip! I'm sorry to hear about what your bro is putting you through. :hug: And in all honestly, those people scare me too. I think my bff is turning into one. I think that's why I love working with older people. They don't care about all that, they just want to stay healthy. And they don't judge if one doesn't look like the trainer stereotype. :wink: Please don't think you offended me! It takes a lot more than that to offend me! You're welcome to try though. :D

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:39 am

Awww, you guys. :goodman: I feel the love. :heart:

Looking at that dance clip, (which is great, by the way) I wonder if Bret did the choreography? :dunno:
I wouldn't be surprised if he did. :nod:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

dangerous person
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby dangerous person » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:32 pm

*sprinkles love dust and happy bunnies onto thread*

Poor Turnip, sorry about your brother worries, it's hard sometimes, and sometimes the best you can do is just be there and listen and not judge, and hopefully in time your brother will see where he might be going wrong and you'll be there to help, because he will know you won't judge him. I'm sure you're a great sister, you have to be, you're so kind and interested in other people. :hug:

Sully, you're cool. Fact. :hug:

I am so looking forward to the second ep, it's going to be great! Now that they've done the tying up of loose ends after series one, they can just get on with more utter silliness! And dancing, we want plenty of dancing, cos these boys can move!!
"We're a novelty music act, we're not a freak show"

Return to “HBO TV series”