slut_angel22@yahoo
Stop touching the monkeys

I love Barack, but HBO better not...

Postby slut_angel22@yahoo » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:21 pm

Bret: Have been sheared.
Jemaine: Have been shorn.

LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Re: I love Barack, but HBO better not...

Postby LSully9 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:21 pm

That is a very cool idea! However, what's the point if it's not aired live? That and if it's not live, it will mess with the premier and that is very not cool. :?
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:55 pm

No worries. HBO doesn't air live shows unless they make money off of it, like a big concert or something. Even then, it's very very rare.
Network tv and the cable news networks are going to be covering every single little aspect of this day--in it's entirety. :zzz:

Don't get me wrong, I do want to see Obama's inauguration and even some of the parade. It's going to be a brilliant thing!!

But then again- I don't want to sit for hours watching my TV as it focuses on the most inane filler stories. This kind of journalism makes so-called "serious" reporters end up looking and sounding like the sleaze mongering paparazzi stalking a some bubble headed party girl. :cross: :teeth: :cross:

I saw a clip of Diane Sawyer(a well respected news journalist) report on Obama's kids 1st day at school. She was oh'ing and aw'ing all over herself. Reporting the school lunch and speculating what they will choose, as if this was important to anyone not related to them. :eh:

Whoa! :shock: Sorry about that. I guess I'm not the only one needing a good ranting session! I feel better now.... :worry:
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

slut_angel22@yahoo

Postby slut_angel22@yahoo » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:37 pm

Oh I agree TV - newscasts are now nothing more than gossip fests. Back in my day, (a time with which my dear Nancy Hilner is familiar also), newscasts would put you to sleep they were so boring...but they gave you the news, the facts and nothing but the facts - and they didn't get into anything that wasn't news. Times have changed and not for the better. Good Lord, I sound old.

I thought I read in that article that the festivities were in the afternoon, so we better hope HBO airs it live, cuz if they put it off till evening (although a 'delay' could just mean a mere 5-10 seconds), then it will pre-empt our guys. I better call HBO right now and tell them what to do, eh?

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:24 am

My bad. :worry: I didn't look at your link. I did look at HBO's site and they still have nothing up on it yet.

What they are talking about airing is a pre-inaugural speech to whomever can fit into the National Mall(think MLK "I have a dream speech" and Forrest Gump "what I think" speech). This is free and open to the publin, so it's an understatement that there will be a crowd there. With his record, it's going to be one hell of a speech, but it's hard to say if HBO will go live or tape. If they tape it, they will have more control(edit :whistle: ). Either way, it will be long over before the show.

Here is the link for all the pre thru post inauguration festivities-
http://inaugurationday2009.com/schedule.html

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:12 am

I really don't think HBO would be spending all the big bucks on promos for FoTC and Big Love just to pre-empt both shows for a taped event. I would guess they'd go live or 7 second delay. I vote for the afternoon!!! :nod:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:55 pm

As usual, Jon Stewart does it best! This is the funniest bit about the news obsession over the Obama girls first day of school. There was a moment of saddness when two, especially vapid, newswomen were going on and on about the schools lunch menu. I noticed that the news crawler was about the fighting going on in Gaza. :roll:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index ... ary-pupils

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:23 am

Here's the latest that I've read. It's still not up on the HBO site but here they say the 18th is not going to be shown live.

HBO lands rights to inaugural ceremony
To offer the event free to cable and satellite subscribers
By Paul J. Gough

Jan 6, 2009, 07:15 PM ET

NEW YORK -- HBO will kick off coverage of Inauguration Week with an exclusive Sunday, Jan. 18, telecast of the star-studded opening ceremony, two days before the saturation coverage of President Barack Obama's inauguration begins in earnest.

In 1993, HBO paid $1.5 million to the Presidential Inaugural Committee to exclusively televise Bill Clinton's kickoff from the Lincoln Memorial, something that annoyed non-HBO subscribers who weren't able to watch the concert by Bob Dylan and Diana Ross.

This time around, HBO -- which has been awarded the rights for an undisclosed sum -- is planning to offer the event free to cable and satellite subscribers, regardless of whether they have the pay channel or not. The entertainment lineup for the event, which may also be streamed, hasn't yet been announced, but both Obama and Vice President Joe Biden are scheduled to attend.

"(HBO's) proven track record as a leader in television will help ensure an event that reflects President-elect Obama's commitment to holding an inauguration that is open, accessible and reflects America's spirit of unity," inaugural committee executive director Emmett S. Beliveau said.

Meanwhile, while they won't be televising that Sunday afternoon event live, the other networks -- including all the broadcast and cable news channels as well as TV One -- are rolling out extensive coverage of the Jan. 20 inauguration and the events preceeding it. Plans that will include a full-court press of the top anchors and correspondents, Web streaming of events and, in some cases, extensive radio. All three broadcast nets will feature an hour of primetime as well, capping several days of heavy coverage.

slut_angel22@yahoo

Postby slut_angel22@yahoo » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:45 pm

Well maybe we can look at it like this - since it's not going to be live, that gives them the freedom to edit out 'nonsense' and shorten it enough (whenever they show it on the 18th) to make sure it's over by the time the premier comes on.

LSully9

Postby LSully9 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:55 pm

Hmmmm... I'm thinking about this... and there's a possibility it may not even be on HBO proper. HBO has more than one station to start with (I get 8 stations of HBO). So its a good possibility it'll be on one of those other stations. :) And the other thing that keeps catching me is the fact that its 'going to be available for nonsubscribers.' Now granted, that most likely means it'll be on their website, but HBO certainly has enough money, perhaps they'll air it on another station, with their name on it? Its probably more likely that it'll be on a different HBO station, but still something to hope for. :)
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:46 pm

I can't figure it out either. My question is, will they just show that one show to non-subscribers or will they have HBO go free all day?! Do you think they will try to use this as a time to get new subscribers?!
Marketing execs are just evil, so I can see them promote the crap out of this speech and show themselves as do gooders. All the while, their main goal is to get new subscribers. :roll:

Oh, wait- I got it. They will show only an editted version while HBO is free, then at a later date, have a more indepth documentary on it. :quesexcl: I don't know what would be worst- that they actually do this or that I thought they would. :shock:

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:30 pm

I haven't seen any promos for a "Free HBO Weekend" sort of thingy, but it certainly makes sense that they'd do it to get subscribers while they bring out new episodes of acclaimed shows. And the pre-inaugural celebration could be a logical 8 o'clock lead-in to Big Love at 9 and FoTC at 10, maybe? :dunno:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

LSully9

Postby LSully9 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:47 pm

We are in the clear! Just saw a commercial for the inagural concert and it is airing at 7. :)

tvldiva

Postby tvldiva » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:23 pm

LSully9 wrote:We are in the clear! Just saw a commercial for the inagural concert and it is airing at 7. :)

YEAH!!! Thanks for the update Sully! :supz:

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:29 am

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Return to “HBO TV series”