Ratings for season 2 *update in 1st post 11 Feb*

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Ratings for season 2 *update in 1st post 11 Feb*

Postby Sherry » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:10 pm

Lil snippet about Conchords ratings from Feb 11

Flight of the Conchords is also on the uptick. The show scored a season high 660,000 viewers on Feb. 8. Factoring in the aforementioned elements, Conchords has averaged 3 million viewers this season.

Taken from HERE

Not that I give a s***, but HBO do. And maybe others out there..... :eyebrow:

Apparently Conchords lost 50% or so of its audience for the season premiere

On HBO, the news was sobering: The third-season debut of "Big Love" (1.2 million) fell by 47% from last year's premiere, and the second-season bow of "Flight of the Conchords" (560,000) dropped by 50%.

Taken from THR.com

They certainly publicised it enough :lol: And fans were keen. And feedback has been generally positive. But maybe so many people had seen it online already they decided to pass it up in favour of something else instead. Possibly the big news in the US this past week was what caused the big drop in viewing figures. Maybe they will bounce back when its an all new episode next Sunday.

Shame in a way as the people involved have all put so much time and effort in to the show. Would have been great to have over a million viewing on the night. Ah well. Wonder what impact this has on those involved.

I'm from Blighty. Where good TV doesn't always get lost/dropped if audience numbers drop. Thankfully there is the BBC and also some other channels, C4 being one that springs to mind, that takes risks with programming and also doesn't aim for the masses. Gotta love a bit of cult like TV viewing and not being so obsessed with the numbers game as to pull seasons mid way etc as some TV networks in the US seem to often do (shakes fist at demise of Firefly).

Erm yes, nap time as a certain little person finally nodded off :D

Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Re: Ratings for season 2 premiere

Postby Val2150 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:48 pm

:hrm: That's actually kind of surprising.

Though you do make a good point - I suspect anyone that watched it online probably didn't feel the need to watch it again (unless they're superfans like us :) ). And didn't the online episode get something like 100,000 views anyway?

Still, though, it would've been nice for all involved for the "real" premiere to have been more of a smashing success.
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:52 pm

Last year wasn't the average viewership for FOTC 1 million? That figure is useless though unless you know how many households have HBO.

Yeah I read those figures and assumed that they were do to with people already having seen ep 1 online.

I found it strange how much HBO was investing in print ads and tv commercials for Big Love. I enjoy the show (rented it from the libraray) but I didn't think it was HBO's big break out hit. It's entertaining but it's no Sopranos and it's really nothing worthy of the hype.
90% evil
ImageImage

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:31 am

It's interesting to note, however, that an inexpensive show like the Conchords' doesn't even need to do spectacularly well, ratings-wise, for HBO to make a very tidy little profit. With DVD sales and rentals procuring so much revenue for them, the initial broadcast run is effectively just advertising for the disc release. Also, by selling the global rights to the programme to dozens and dozens of foreign television channels, they'll make significant money there, too.

Then there's domestic re-run rights (which they'll probably flog off after the show is finished) which will net HBO another good chunk. The television series has a kind of timeless quality to it, so it'll do very well for years. And I know I'm horribly, embarrassingly biased, but a fair few objective observers have also noted that the show has all the hallmarks of a classic, and that'll undoubtedly give the re-runs a good long TV life.

I'm betting HBO is very satisfied with what they're getting. Very satisfied indeed. And good on them, they absolutely deserve the rewards for taking a risk on an odd little show like the Flight of the Conchords. But I wouldn't imagine for a moment that the HBO suits are disappointed. And frankly, I suspect television ratings aren't keeping our boys up at night, either.

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:40 am

Sherry wrote:Not that I give a s***, but HBO do. And maybe others out there..... :eyebrow:

Apparently Conchords lost 50% or so of its audience for the season premiere

On HBO, the news was sobering: The third-season debut of "Big Love" (1.2 million) fell by 47% from last year's premiere, and the second-season bow of "Flight of the Conchords" (560,000) dropped by 50%.

Taken from THR.com

:geek: For my 2 cents(which is worth .0001 cent these days), the ratings numbers is a load of horse crap. With the inauguration and all the specials, there hasn't been a lot of good ratings for show lately.

As others have said, the "premiere episode" of FOTC has been playing non-stop on the internet and HBO on demand for a month. Let's just wait until an actual new unaired show come on to check the ratings. :waiting:

Never had much love for Big Love. Seemed abit too soap opera'ish to me. With the big Morman debacle that happened here in Texas last year, with the state taking all the kids away, then giving them back. Now it just seems to much like a "reality" show. :dunno:
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:04 am

O I'm not in the least worried tvl :) I just read the article that posted the new season ratings for a number of shows and passed it on. Some people do like to keep tabs on ratings is all.

I figured the news had been keeping people tuned in elsewhere tbh. Not so much that the show aired online as it did the same last year and premiere viewing figures were higher than this time round iirc.

Spumony5000
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Spumony5000 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:53 am

Also the show is competing with Showtime's new show The United States of Tara. Its been getting a lot of buzz, so maybe people watched that instead?
Do you want to borrow my jumper Bowie?

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:19 pm

I don't consider premium channels like HBO and Showtime as competing because the replay the hell out a show all week. then they have On Demand for both.

To compare them to a network show is kinda Apples=Oranges. The networks have all but stopped running reruns in the summer since reality shows make more money. As it is now, if you miss a show, your usually SOL. I know most are online, but I just don't enjoy shows online. I can handle 5-10 min- tops before I get annoyed. I'm just not that comfortable sitting still at the desk, I much prefer my soft sofa and big tv!! Anyway- thank god for DVR's.
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

opiate
Lost but happy at sea

Postby opiate » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:01 am

Well the youtube of the first episode has over 100,000 views..

I think this week's one will be more of an accurate guage

Jilly
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Jilly » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:21 am

It's probably also worth remembering that, post-inauguration optimism notwithstanding, we're still in quite an economic funk. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the number of households subscribing to HBO is way down.

All the fine folks who work on the show should rightly feel terrific about what they've done.

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby Bad Atom » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:20 am

The good news for us is, HBO can't cancel the show now even if they wanted to. It's basically a done deal. While it would be nice for the ratings to go up (and they may), I'm much more interested in how the DVDs and (upcoming) CDs sell. Not to mention the number of downloads (legal and otherwise :snakeman:), YouTube views, concert ticket sales, etc. Those kind of numbers reflect the fanbase much better.

I also think it's kind of cool in a way that the show is low-rated. Makes me feel like I'm in the company of a very special club with only 559,999 other people. :)

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:17 pm

Bad Atom wrote:I also think it's kind of cool in a way that the show is low-rated. Makes me feel like I'm in the company of a very special club with only 559,999 other people. :)
Well yeah I'd rather they be a cult thing than a mainstream thing.
90% evil
ImageImage

opiate
Lost but happy at sea

Postby opiate » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:11 pm

Curious if these improved for week 2. Assuming week 3 was superbowl influenced...

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:38 pm

This week it's the Grammys, soon the Oscars... :doh:
Feb isn't going to be a ratings bonanza, but we know the quality of each show is good, and they've been doing a good job writing songs for each situation, as opposed to last year's writing a situation around songs that were already written. :thumb:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Return to “HBO TV series”