HBO Flight of the Conchords Show - Season Two - Ep 3

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
nikki78
Lost but happy at sea

Re: HBO Flight of the Conchords Show - Season Two - Ep 3

Postby nikki78 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:50 am

SheWolf wrote:Just rewatched it not in HD - my goodness, I had no idea how much different HD looks from regular TV until now.

Watching it in HD is amazing. I don't see how I can ever go back now.

I also thought that Bret looked really thin in that episode. Beautiful, charming, and loveable (as always), but very thin.

ceebeecee
New arrival

Postby ceebeecee » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:46 am

I loved this episode. It was so goofy and charmingly sweet.

Favorite moments: The man hiding in the cupboard, Bret saying he spent most of the day in the ceiling, Murray dancing, Jemaine at the party, the boy kicking Bret and Bret kicks him back, Bret's honesty when the police arrive at the door, Jemaine's responses to Mel about the painting,
a singing gig at the library with Mel entranced, Dave bored, and Murray taking notes
Bret's no to Murray's yes.

Love it.

Hurt feelings is my favorite song, especially Bret's singing on the reprise. I also loved that during the hurt feelings video the kitchen appliances and movie theatre setting were like something out of a cartoon.
"When I saw you tonight I thought here's two men who know exactly what women feel like."

LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Postby LSully9 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:57 am

poptartgirl wrote:The actor playing the head of the Australian consulate also has a role on LOST. I can't remember his name at the moment (first name Alan I think) and I'm feeling too lazy to look it up right now.

I knew he looked familiar!! But for the life of me, I couldn't place him...
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:26 pm

nikki78 wrote:
SheWolf wrote:Just rewatched it not in HD - my goodness, I had no idea how much different HD looks from regular TV until now.

Watching it in HD is amazing. I don't see how I can ever go back now.

I also thought that Bret looked really thin in that episode. Beautiful, charming, and loveable (as always), but very thin.

The 9:00 was in HD again last night. Tis freakin amazing. I had no idea. Jemaine's face looks quite different and you can see the real color of his eyes. And everyone looked thinner.

Some highlights:

Murray's dancing and facial expressions in the dance sequence.

Jemaine getting free cheese (was this episode written by Taika, perchance?)

I was kind of sad at the end of the hurt feelings montage with a tear rolling down Murray's face then when they got up and Jemaine thanked Murray for taking him to the party ...*sniffle* how I wanted to snuggle them both.

Jemaine getting can attacked and slapped by the guy in the cupboard.

*snapping fingers* Stay cool Bret...you'll regret if you mess with Bret from the Tough Brets!
90% evil
ImageImage

Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Val2150 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:37 pm

Watched it again last night...I wanted to give big bear hugs to every single one of them during Hurt Feelings. It was just so goofy and sweet....and it's nice to see that with each episode, the writing and pacing seems tighter and that they all click even better as a cast. I still think Stay Cool was my favorite part....and I love Angry Bret - I lost it when he kicked that little kid. :lol:
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:51 pm

I just watched this about 10 times in a row.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYDqCSTospY

I like when Bret pounds on the car. I think I have a crush on Johnny Boy and the foxy Aussie.

I can't make out the first part of what the Australians are singing.
90% evil
ImageImage

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:09 pm

Like most people, I thought this one was ever-so-slightly uneven. There were some truly wonderful parts, but there were also moments that, in truth, fell distinctly flat. That "Mu...rray" bit and the gag about Greg and the intercom was seriously belaboured, like a Saturday Night Live sketch that forgets that jokes sometimes resonate more if you kick them less. But those moments were so noticeable because the Conchords are generally absolute masters at not telegraphing jokes or allowing them to go stale. They usually just breeze past the mind-blowingly funny bits, and sometimes it's not till days later that you realise how pant-wettingly absurd they were.

Like Hurt Feelings. Which was brilliant. Oh my god, those thrones. Bouncing up and down on those thrones. And the rapturously low, spread-legged camera shots? HLY SHT. I think all the dogs in my neighbourhood sat up for a moment and swivelled their ears worriedly at that point. And then resignedly sighed, "Oh. It's just Turnip. Squealing over hilariously objectified Kiwis again." And then lay back down and dreamed of snausages.

I also adored that incredible look of frustrated outrage on Bret's face as he petulantly cried, "Get me a small man's wetsuit!," followed shortly after by a pained "Please."

Amazing. As was the line, "Were you ever called "homo", 'cause at school you took drama?" Coming from a guy whose mum made him take ballet lessons as a kid, I suspect that laugh came from Bret's long years of rueful experience in school hallways. :rolls: Bless! Although as a friend of his once recalled, Bret eventually "discovered the fringe benefits of being outnumbered by females." :yawinkle: LOVE. IT.

And how fabulous was that fleeting moment of Alpha Male Bret when he furiously smacked the roof of the car, with his jaw locked and eyes like flaming daggers? Oh my! Oh I do declare! I feel a little faint! **Eyelash flutter flutter flutter.** [/Scarlett O'Hara]

** THANK YOU, JAMES BOBIN, FOR AFFORDING THIS LADY ADMIRER SO MANY MOMENTS OF LASCIVIOUS DELIGHT IN THIS EPISODE. YOUR CHEQUE IS IN THE POST. **

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Postby LSully9 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:37 pm

Watching it in HD is amazing. I don't see how I can ever go back now. [/quote]

Aww man! Now I really can't wait for sister and nephew to move so I can get my HD tv... :waiting:

But um, I've only gotten to watch it once. :oops: I thought the scene where everyone attacked Jemaine was hilarious! And I now also sing "I've got hurt feelings, I've got hurt feelings" every time someone hurts my feelings.
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:58 pm

Can anyone remember the names of the real rappers who I'm pretty sure were the inspiration for the bit in the video when the guys are both wearing powdered wigs? I remember some rappers doing that in a video or something, I just can't remember who. Biz Markie or someone, maybe?
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Spumony5000

Postby Spumony5000 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:24 pm

Yeah that was from Biz Markie's video Just a friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMEPFZa4ZQo
Do you want to borrow my jumper Bowie?

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:25 pm

I don't think anyone's yet mentioned Mel's fan art - it was based on real fan art from the FOTC MySpace:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... D=31057452

*I wasn't trying to get a cap of Jem's bum profile- honestly I wasn't.* :P

saaaa...weeet

I love a man in oven mitts
90% evil
ImageImage

JulesJules
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby JulesJules » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:29 pm

Did anybody else shed a tear or two with Mel? I did. Hurt Feelings is one of those songs that can be funny, but it's also rather melancholy at the same time. I like it a lot.

Boy, they really had the Australians look like a$$holes. Intentional? Probably!

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:47 pm

JulesJules wrote:Did anybody else shed a tear or two with Mel? I did. Hurt Feelings is one of those songs that can be funny, but it's also rather melancholy at the same time. I like it a lot.

Boy, they really had the Australians look like a$$holes. Intentional? Probably!
I didn't love the Hurt Feelings song though it was catchy. I didn't feel bad for Mel. For as much as I loved her in The New Cup I found her quite grating in this one. Like I said I felt bad for Murray though.

Ah the Australians weren't that bad, they were just pullin yr tit mate.
90% evil
ImageImage

Great H

Postby Great H » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:06 pm

SheWolf wrote:I don't think anyone's yet mentioned Mel's fan art - it was based on real fan art from the FOTC MySpace:
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... D=31057452
Ahahaha! That's FANTASTIC! I love it when they do stuff like that! :lol:

deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby deliriumtree » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:43 pm

That is too funny they based that on real fan art. I am so very glad I mostly paint aliens on the toilet and haven't attempted fan art yet lol. I liked this episode, but didn't love it. It's hard to compete with last weeks. Once it gets some distance I may try watching it again to see if I like it better.

I want HD now. I didn't think there's that much difference and figured my tv from the 1980's is just fine. But, after reading these posts...I'm finding myself calculating how many extra dogs I need to groom each day to get HD lol.
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

Return to “HBO TV series”