HBO Flight of the Conchords Show - Season Two - Ep 3

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
SheWolf
Boom King!

Re: HBO Flight of the Conchords Show - Season Two - Ep 3

Postby SheWolf » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:58 pm

I got my HD TV about a year ago but because of my cable provider I didn't get many channels in HD until recently. It's hard to explain but the picture is just eons sharper and clearer, the colors are more vivid and some things look kind of like they are in 3D. Like when Jemaine is walking down the street and Mel pulls up in the car, he really seems to jump off the screen there. Some people benefit from HD and the different aspect ratio - like Jemaine looks thinner and more refined but in Bret's case he looks...well...thinner and more refined and he was already very thin and refined so I thought he looked a tad sickly.
90% evil
ImageImage

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby Bad Atom » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:22 am

Well, this was an odd episode - brilliant in spots but very uneven. For the first time in the show's history, I think there was too much going on. You had the A-plot with Bret's gang, the B-plot with Murray vs. the Aussies, and the C-plot with the painting. Any two of these stories would have made for a great episode. With all three, it seemed a little jumbled.

I did like how everything came together in the "Hurt Feelings" reprise, although it probably would have been better served at the end of the story. Very weird structure.

I liked the following things: The library gig (especially Murray and Dave's reactions), Jemaine's reaction to the painting, the reference to Steve, Bret hanging from the ceiling, "CAN ATTACK!", Bret slamming the roof of the car and kicking the kid, and I loved the "West Side Story" dancing. "Stay cool, Bret..." 8)

I disliked the following things: Most of the Australian stuff, Dave falling out of the window, and the really weird scene where the old guy leaves the "gang" and wanders off. If he had been established as more crazy at the beginning it might have made more sense. I was also bothered by hearing Jemaine say "dick" and "apeshit". The guys usually don't swear outside of their songs so that really stuck out to me.

The "Moo-ray" gag was really funny in the promo, but fell flat in the actual show. Was it because I had already heard it before, or is it one of those things where it's funnier out of context? I don't know...

Is Jemaine losing his Kiwi accent? I heard him say "yes" instead of "yis" a couple of times.

And for those of you pointing out Bret's HD-enhanced skinniness, keep it to yourselves! This is why he gets all body-conscious and possibly anorexic! (I'm as skinny as he is, and I got defensive all of a sudden.)

I do think the show has a different feel this season, a little larger in scope. Just look at all the characters that played a part in this episode. It's turning into a little ensemble show, and I kind of like that - as long as the plots stay in focus.

hellomyfriend
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby hellomyfriend » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:05 am

Bad Atom wrote:... And for those of you pointing out Bret's HD-enhanced skinniness, keep it to yourselves! This is why he gets all body-conscious and possibly anorexic! (I'm as skinny as he is, and I got defensive all of a sudden.) ...

Bret's body is luscious, and if your body is anything like his, I guarantee that it is equally luscious. Some girls just aren't into skinny guys. But I definitely, definitely, definitely am. :horny:

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:38 am

I admit I felt bad for everyone in the Hurt Feelings reprise. We've seen a lot more of Greg this season, it was nice for him to have a moment in the song. I liked they way they arranged it, with Bret (it sounded like him mostly) singing prominently and Mel, Greg, and Doug either speaking or singing softly. The combo was effective.
I liked getting to know their neighbors in this one, but I missed Eugene - I would have thought he'd be a member of the Tough Brets.
Jemaine's expression when he first sees Mel's fan art was priceless! :thumb:

I liked the Aussies; after hearing the guys speak in interviews of the rivalry between kiwis and Aussies, it was nice to see them get some aggression out. That lead Aussie can sure move.
SW, next time it's on, I'll try to grab the lyrics off the closed captioning. If you're having trouble with lyrics, I would recommend putting the CC on for the show. It really helps.

Did anyone else notice the change of NZ poster in Murray's office? First it was the Woolcome to New Zealand poster, but during the Yis, No, Yis, No, battle between Murray and Bret, it said:
New Zealand
Better than Old Zealand :roll2:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Spumony5000
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Spumony5000 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:06 am

Didn't he say something like Hello there Murray glad I caught ya,/ Who's this your daughter?/ Your Girlfriend looks great/ How bout a date? / Just pulling you tit mate?
Do you want to borrow my jumper Bowie?

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:09 am

I think that sounds like it, though my rememberer has stopped working for the night. :zzz:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:21 am

Nancy Hillner wrote:I think that sounds like it, though my rememberer has stopped working for the night. :zzz:

Rememberer! Hee! I'll have to rememberize that one for later. :D

hellomyfriend wrote:
Bad Atom wrote:... And for those of you pointing out Bret's HD-enhanced skinniness, keep it to yourselves! This is why he gets all body-conscious and possibly anorexic! (I'm as skinny as he is, and I got defensive all of a sudden.) ...

Bret's body is luscious, and if your body is anything like his, I guarantee that it is equally luscious. Some girls just aren't into skinny guys. But I definitely, definitely, definitely am. :horny:

Oh Hello. You are heart-tearingly sweet. Yay for a plurality of body types! Variety is a wonderful thing, and you're absolutely right: lusciousness comes in so many forms.

I love you to pieces. Truly. I love you so much I might even loan you Bret's snazzy red polar bear T-shirt when he's not needing it. :purple: :yawinkle:

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:53 am

Spumonny, thanks for the Biz Markie confirmation!

As for Bret looking too thin, remember who the source of this comment is. SheWolf is notoriously quick to criticize Bret. ;) And quick to compliment him, too. :lol:
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

JulesJules
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby JulesJules » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:41 pm

Bret looks the same as always, but then again, I've always watched it in HD. I love my HDTV. Watching sporting events in HD is great. When the Speed channel goes HD and I can watch Formula One in HD, my life will be complete.

ASmallTurnip

Postby ASmallTurnip » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:44 pm

indigo_jones wrote:As for Bret looking too thin, remember who the source of this comment is. SheWolf is notoriously quick to criticize Bret. ;) And quick to compliment him, too. :lol:

Heee! Truer words never spoken! :yawinkle: :D

** Turnip puts Wolfie in a headlock and gives her affectionate noogies. **

** Wolfie smacks Turnip upside the head. **

** Sherry sends everyone to their rooms. **

nikki78
Lost but happy at sea

Postby nikki78 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:56 pm

hellomyfriend wrote:

Aww.. I made a comment about him looking very skinny in HD too. But I love Bret and his skinny body. I wouldn't want him any other way. :love:

deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby deliriumtree » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:20 am

Oh man! Now I really do have to figure out how to groom extra dogs especially after reading what SheWolf wrote! Oh well, our tv is old as heck and we have to keep the red turned down or it leaves red trails so it's kind probably nearing the end anyways. Extra summer cuts during the busy season for me!

I forgot about Dave falling out the window. They never did follow up on that either did they?
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

Spumony5000
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Spumony5000 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:10 am

In the end Dave was in the hospital with what looked like broken legs and arms.

I thought that Bret was looking a little meatier this season as opposed to last season. His arms and chest area looked bigger and his face looks a little fuller. Maybe I am just imagining it. I have a regular tv not HD.
Do you want to borrow my jumper Bowie?

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:07 am

Spumony, I thought he looked a bit meatier, as well. So the camera adds 10 pounds and HD takes of 20? :hrm:
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

ASmallTurnip

Postby ASmallTurnip » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:57 am

indigo_jones wrote:Spumony, I thought he looked a bit meatier, as well. So the camera adds 10 pounds and HD takes of 20? :hrm:

** Turnip makes a mental note to appear in HD at all times, everywhere. **

Return to “HBO TV series”