Poor audio mix?

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
MrPeepers
New arrival

Re: Poor audio mix?

Postby MrPeepers » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:24 pm

I have had this exact problem with the vocals playing so low under the effects and music I could understand them at all - found this message board after googleing around and can now report that it was indeed the audio setting of my HD television. While they were singing, I opened the on-screen menu, found the audio settings, witched them around and Bingo! - all fixed! Strange how this show is the only show where it was a problem. The producers ought to know that there are probably a significant portion of viewers who've experienced this issue and believe the fault to be with HBO. But I'm happy now.

charks
New arrival

Postby charks » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:07 am

MrPeepers wrote:I have had this exact problem with the vocals playing so low under the effects and music I could understand them at all - found this message board after googleing around and can now report that it was indeed the audio setting of my HD television. While they were singing, I opened the on-screen menu, found the audio settings, witched them around and Bingo! - all fixed! Strange how this show is the only show where it was a problem. The producers ought to know that there are probably a significant portion of viewers who've experienced this issue and believe the fault to be with HBO. But I'm happy now.

Thanks for posting this...I meant to post something similar. After goofing around with the audio settings on my LG set...I finally found a proper bass/treble setting that has helped tremendously. So now I have a custom audio setting that I used only for FotC!

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:32 am

For those of us with "regular" tvs (not HD), why are we having trouble this season, when we didn't last season? Different sound guy, maybe? Example: In "Prostitute" after the car scene, when Bret's in the foreground and Jemaine is across the street - all of a sudden, the balance is off, and Bret's voice is noticeably louder. Also in Ep 6 when they're jogging and starting to sing, Jemaine's first line singing is basically lost because it's so soft. It's just inconsistent. Thank heavens for closed captioning!

But thanks for the tip for HD users, MrPeepers and charks!
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:47 am

Nancy Hillner wrote:For those of us with "regular" tvs (not HD), why are we having trouble this season, when we didn't last season? Different sound guy, maybe? Example: In "Prostitute" after the car scene, when Bret's in the foreground and Jemaine is across the street - all of a sudden, the balance is off, and Bret's voice is noticeably louder. Also in Ep 6 when they're jogging and starting to sing, Jemaine's first line singing is basically lost because it's so soft. It's just inconsistent. Thank heavens for closed captioning!

But thanks for the tip for HD users, MrPeepers and charks!

This sounds like a question for James. ;)
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:27 am

I've already asked him about the audio mix and his reply is further up the thread.

I shall ask again about non HD TV's (or stereo sound even?).

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:56 am

That would be a valid question, Sherry. I'm just a plain old, non-stereo tv user who relies on closed captioning when the volume sinks.
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

JulesJules
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby JulesJules » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:04 pm

Thanks for the HD tip. I'll monkey around with it tonight and watch an old episode that I remember having a problem hearing the vocals over the music. I have Comcast cable, and someone upthread said they have Cox, so it must not be specific to cable provider.

Of course, I had the same t.v. last season and don't recall having this much trouble hearing the vocals on the songs, and I have experienced the problem with nearly every episode this season.

Oh, and thanks to Sherry and James B for trying to provide us with answers.

jamesthecat
New arrival

Postby jamesthecat » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:43 am

iv noticed in particular the mix on demonwoman and love is a weapon of choice, the vocals are just low in the mix, will be sorted by the dvd release!

Baguette
Giving the paper to the people

Postby Baguette » Wed May 06, 2009 4:08 pm

I didn't notice until Sunday and BBC4 speeded up the music :shock:
You're so beautiful...

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Wed May 06, 2009 4:18 pm

What did they air on Sunday? I thought season two was starting next Tuesday?
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Fri May 08, 2009 7:42 am

Re runs methinks. New season is on Tuesday :)

Baguette
Giving the paper to the people

Postby Baguette » Fri May 08, 2009 7:02 pm

10:30 :D
You're so beautiful...

Return to “HBO TV series”