Flight of the Conchords Truley Not Delivering

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
ShnarfHead
New arrival

Flight of the Conchords Truley Not Delivering

Postby ShnarfHead » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:25 am

Season 1 was amazing. I'll leave it at that. Season 2 has been pretty decent. Episode 4 was the least funny episode I've seen yet. I really didn't like Mel's song. It wasn't that bad, it just wasn't that funny. Anyone else agree that season 2 hasn't been delivering?

PatK
Giving the paper to the people

Re: Flight of the Conchords Truley Not Delivering

Postby PatK » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:30 pm

I like season 2. It is a very different show than season 1, so if you come into it expecting it to be season 1 you will be upset with it. Season 1 exhausted basically the entire Conchords' catalog, and it was more song-based. This season still has songs, but they have to write the story and then write songs that go with the story, as opposed to basing the story around their songs in season 1. This year is more about the comedy than the songs, but the songs are still funny and prominently featured.

If you were expecting season 2 to deliver as just an extension of season 1, I guess you could say it didn't deliver. As a comedy show with funny musical interludes, though, I think it is delivering wonderfully.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:45 pm

I've found the humor so far in S2 to be more witty than laugh out loud funny. I wouldn't necessarily say the show is very different from S1 though.

I think the BBC radio series proves that their show doesn't need to be song based to be good.

In general the songs do seem weaker but I know we have, at least, Carol Brown/X Girlfriends & Freaky to look forward to - they were great live. I don't know that the weaker songs have to do with less writing time. Leggy Blonde, Inner City Pressure and few other greats were written for S1. And there were some duds in S1 too like Cheer Up Murray.
90% evil
ImageImage

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby Bad Atom » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:18 am

I'd say the show is about the same, quality-wise. There have been a few off moments, balanced out by some laugh-out-loud ones. Any disappointments I've had have been minor.

This season is a little different in focus, though. The show has a slightly bigger scope, and (this is just a guess on my part) a bigger budget. The supporting players are getting more involved in the stories and the songs. The songs themselves are better integrated into the show. It's unfortunate that they used up most of their best material last year, but can you blame them? A TV show is not a sure thing, so I can understand them wanting to use their best stuff.

PatK
Giving the paper to the people

Postby PatK » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:00 pm

SheWolf wrote:I've found the humor so far in S2 to be more witty than laugh out loud funny. I wouldn't necessarily say the show is very different from S1 though.

I think the BBC radio series proves that their show doesn't need to be song based to be good.

In general the songs do seem weaker but I know we have, at least, Carol Brown/X Girlfriends & Freaky to look forward to - they were great live. I don't know that the weaker songs have to do with less writing time. Leggy Blonde, Inner City Pressure and few other greats were written for S1. And there were some duds in S1 too like Cheer Up Murray.

I'd definitely agree that the songs are weaker, but I don't think any of them are bad. I really like Hurt Feelings and Friends. The Roxanne connection in You Don't have to Be a Prostitute was brilliant. The others were so-so in my mind, but not bad at all.

As for Carol Brown and Freaky, I'm hoping they come up soon. They were hilariously beautiful live.

Return to “HBO TV series”