Interested to hear what you think please

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Interested to hear what you think please

Postby Sherry » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:06 pm

Can I ask, does it to you, seem like the show still has its small feel, even with the bigger budget. Or has it lost something with the expansion of the vids and so on?

Also now you are more familiar with the Conchords, has anything changed in how you are viewing this season?

Maybe you had greater or lesser expectations this time round?

Can you see some of the new material working well in a live show setting? Will it transplant do you think? Do you feel they wrote some of the songs with live shows in mind also? Do they come over like that to you or not?

Are the supporting case as well used this season. Better or worse or much the same?

I am not looking for reviews or episode discussion here, just a general overview and thoughts so far.

Thanks in advance :)

Amanda
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: Interested to hear what you think please

Postby Amanda » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:56 pm

It's complicated..I think that the first season was more "how to make a sitcom out of the material we already have"..and most importantly..how to make a sitcom work.. and for this second season ..they are just doing a TV Show with some funny lines and some music in it. I honestly liked the 1st Season better because it felt more Conchords-y ..for me, they're musicians first and then they're doing the TV show..as they could be doing a play or another radio series.. The songs they had for the first season had witty funny lyrics with a nicer and more developed sound.. whereas on this second season they're experimenting with musical genres that I don't think fit their style or would work in a concert..and the lyrics are just not as good as their old material. I think that the burden of having a deadline has worsen the quality of the songs ..the plots and the dialogs.. :worry: there are still some good things and witty lines, don't get me wrong.. but I think they're feeling too confident this season giving the ok to things that I would strongly consider revising/rewriting..just because they know that we *the fans* will still tune in every Sunday just to see them. I've also noticed that for this second season they are writing with their female fanbase in mind .. almost exclusively.. and that is jeopardizing the result.

The only reason why I wouldn't want 2nd season to be the last one is because there's the very plausible possibility that the moment they disappear from TV..they stop touring outside of New Zealand / Australia.. but other than that, I think it would do them more good than bad. I wish they would stick to doing great music..and keeping it up as a great on-stage act.. but the TV show..just doesn't feel like them anymore.

Please don't ban me off ..I still love them. It's just my opinion on the 2nd season.. :eyelashes:

edited to add: in all fairness to the guys S2E05 is my all times favorite episode!
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...

WomanInThePark
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby WomanInThePark » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:45 pm

I like songs that can have different contexts. You can sing "boom" and "if you're into it" and many others and feel like they are talking to you/you are talking to someone. This season's songs seem really episode specific, and don't really make sense out of context.
Beth, did you really need to fake your death?

The Talking Stove
Giving the paper to the people

Postby The Talking Stove » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:00 pm

I don't know, I think Sugar Lumps, Hurt Feelings, Too Many Dicks on the Dancefloor are all songs that work out of context, and probably the ex-girlfriends song too.

I think if you're a man, or a lady who's into ladies, you can appreciate the real life problem that is too many dicks on the dancefloor :D

On topic, I've enjoyed this season every bit as much as the first one, so far. I think it still has the small feel; the boys are still hanging at their apartment, Murray's office or Dave's shop. Its not like they're suddenly jetting off on an overseas adventure or anything, or getting George Clooney to guest star.
Have you ever been told that you look like a llama?

prettyrobyngirl

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:10 pm

Agreed that it’s complicated. The one thing I always try to do with artists is to avoid the classic "their old stuff is so much better line". By reading a lot of WTF/reviews/interviews, so many people keep reminiscing about season one and how much better it was than what we are in. It’s the stupid ‘second album syndrome’. In terms of the TV seasons, I don’t think that one is better than the other- they are just very different.

In one of the interviews, Jemaine said that this season was easier because they are far more in sync with their humour, style of the show, and they could write songs for the plot than the other way around. They had much less to figure out about how to make a sitcom this series than last, and I think it really shows. The second season is completely tight, the songs fit better, the videos are conceived beautifully, and they really work to put some subtle jokes that you can only usually get after multiple viewings. The first season had a real endearing quality about it, with its low production value and randomness of storylines and NZ tidbits... nothing about the first season felt forced. The songs were catchy and had been practiced for literally years, and they had a really great radio series to work out the kinks. It’s no wonder the first season is placed on such a high pedestal. Yet, if nothing else, they have been able to keep the second season fresh without leaning on too much of the past, which is what we loved them for in the first place- being completely different and refreshing (and absolutely adorable).

As for the live show, I am confident that the guys will make the songs work in whatever way they can. I can’t imagine them fitting into the type of stage show that they typically have done in the past, but there is a whole tour coming up that will hopefully surprise fans everywhere (sadly, I will not be one of them, so post multiple reviews!!!). They have said again and again that the dynamic of their live show has changed because the fans know the banter, the songs, etc. I think they will likely have to shift the format of their old songs because of this- the crowd will literally talk more than they do if they don’t. Bret and Jemaine have proved this season they can still think far outside the box, I wouldn’t expect anything less for their live/stage show either.

That’s the thing about FOTC, much like anyone with that starving artist to superstar story. They get better with time, more confident in their roles and often have to re-invent themselves/show/songs to surprise the fans. But then they also loose that innocence that with these guys which was a major part of the appeal. There is that scene in the On Demand documentary that sums it all up for me, where they walk out on that venue in Seattle and you can hear Jem go “holy s*&^” and Bret go “f*&^ing hell” with pure and genuine shock on their faces about how popular they actually have become. Those moments will be harder and harder to find as the years go on- you early WTFers should be so thankful you caught them so early and actually got to be a part of their experience instead of just a number.

For my own selfish sake, I would love for them to stay on for another season, but only if they can keep up with the quality and hilarity of work they have been producing. That, and I am not going to be anywhere NEAR a live show this time around and would love to see them face to face one day eventually. For now, I try not to analyze too much, and just enjoy Bret and Jemaine as they were, are and for whatever they will become.
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Val2150 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:43 am

I have to say, I like this season just as much as the last one - and tbh, I think I've probably laughed harder this season than I did last time. I definitely think it still has the same small/indie feel to it; however they've said that now they know how to write a sitcom and it DEFINITELY shows. And in my book, that's a good thing. The writing and acting are better and the pacing is quicker. Not to say that the first season wasn't terrific - that is how I fell in love with them in the first place. It seems as though they've found their niche, tone-wise. Oh, and I LOVE that they're including more of the rest of the cast this time and think it's been working really well. It fleshes out the bizarre little world they live in really nicely.

As for the songs this season, I haven't enjoyed them as much as last season with the exception of some, like Sugalumps, Too Many Dicks, Prostitute, and Carol Brown (which may be my #1 favorite of all of their stuff) and am not sure all of them will translate well live. Then again, they have so MANY songs that they can't include them all, so I imagine the tour will include (mostly) slightly revamped versions of the old ones with a couple new ones thrown in. And since that's what they're known for and that's why they're so popular, they should stick to what works. I still enjoy this season just as much without enjoying the songs as much though, and I think that's because I see them as comedians who happen to be excellent musicians. If you think of them as a band, I can see how that would change your interpretation of things. I've been vacillating between wanting a third season and wanting them to end it this year, but I think that's because I really want to see what other stuff they do beyond this (and I want to hear more music from Bret). Regardless of what happens, I'll be forever grateful for all the laughs and the terrific friends I've made through the Conchords. :D
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby Bad Atom » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:05 am

The show has a slightly bigger scope, but to me it hasn't strayed too far from what we saw last season. I'd say the music videos are getting more elaborate, and in some cases it hurts the song. For example, in Ep. 6, the "Same Girl" song worked just fine. It was done very simply and I could pay attention to the lyrics. The "Weapon of Choice" song, not so much. There was a lot going on and I still couldn't tell you what half the words are because of the audio mix. I certainly don't mind re-watching the show but, still... :|

The songs themselves are better integrated into the show, although some of them don't seem to work as well on their own. The guys have done a tremendous job writing so many songs in such a short period of time. They may not live up to everyone's expectations, but that's only because the bar has been set so high. Obviously some fans will always prefer the old stuff, which is fine because it's not going anywhere.

As for the newer material working in a live setting, I guess we'll see when the new tour starts. I'll be there, scowling at them and judging them harshly. :hrmpf: What I'm really wondering about is what new goofy-looking instruments they'll bring onstage. The new songs are much more musically diverse and I wonder how they'll sound live. The new album / Season 2 soundtrack should be very interesting to listen to.

The supporting players are getting more involved this year, which is fine by me as long as they don't take over the show. Sometimes they use Murray a bit much for my taste, and since he's hilarious, I don't want him to wear out his welcome. I've also liked everyone's participation in the songs too - "Hurt Feelings", "Stay Cool" and "In My Dreams" are some of my favorites.

Some other thoughts about the season in general - I think Bret & Jemaine's acting has really improved and they've both shown a lot more range than we've seen before. Not that I mind them when they're acting dull and mumbly...

One good thing about the bigger budget is the improved cinematography. Just look at the difference between the very first episode and the latest one. People don't look yellowish, sweaty and distorted anymore! However, I don't have HD so I can't comment on that.

If this is the last season, I'll be happy. If they continue, I'll be happy. Just as long as they don't drag it out until I want to grab a shotgun and put the show out of its misery. :)

dangerous person
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby dangerous person » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:55 pm

Harrumph

:waiting:

Very nice thread, if only I had something to say.....
"We're a novelty music act, we're not a freak show"

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:14 am

I went into the first season expecting nothing/ not knowing what to expect so it's only natural that I would view this season differently.

If the budget was bigger this time I don't sense it.

With the exception of Unnatural Love (one of their most perfect eps IMO) I've found each of these eps to have their good bits & bad but that's in line with what I initially felt about most of S1.

My biggest disappointment is the weakness of the songs. I assumed that writing new songs to fit the storylines would enable those songs to be more smoothly integrated but for the most part I find them fairly jarring. Maybe it's just that I don't like the genres they are parodying (Hurt Feelings made me cringe). I can't imagine alot of these songs fitting into a live setting but I trust that B&J know what they are doing. I think that people are not going to be as attached to these songs as the old ones and if FOTC are going to focus primarily on the new ones live they are going to be in for a bit of trouble.

I'm finding the supporting cast a bit irritiating this time around. It would be nice to see Mel & Dave not doing or saying things that are 100% in character all the time and I don't particularly care for them being added into the songs. While I love Murray I am finding him also to be a bit of a one note. If I see another list or chart... :roll:

While it's not the same as the giddy first blush of something like hearing & seeing Hiphopapotamus V. Rhymnoceros for the first time, all in all I'm happy with this season and find the Bret & Jemaine characters as endearing as ever.
90% evil
ImageImage

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:40 am

dangerous person wrote:Harrumph

:waiting:

Very nice thread, if only I had something to say.....

Yah! Me too! And I even live in the US!

Zap
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Zap » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:13 am

I'd say the show still feels small. Even the lavish Gondry videos look reassuringly budget. The single video I found very out of character was in Episode 1. Their world should not include helicopter shots.

I agree with the poster above who said that the show has been pretty obviously tilted to appeal to the female fan community. I feel winked at when I watch, which is not something I got at all last season.

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby Bad Atom » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:25 am

Zap wrote:I'd say the show still feels small. Even the lavish Gondry videos look reassuringly budget. The single video I found very out of character was in Episode 1. Their world should not include helicopter shots.

I agree with the poster above who said that the show has been pretty obviously tilted to appeal to the female fan community. I feel winked at when I watch, which is not something I got at all last season.

The helicopter stuff didn't bother me, it was appropriate for the song and the video. You do make a good point about appealing to the ladies out there. Not that it wasn't there before, but it's a little more obvious now.

WomanInThePark

Postby WomanInThePark » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:59 pm

I really think I would prefer a season with absolutely no songs to the current season. There are some good songs--Carol Brown being the own one I really enjoy, some others that I don't mind--but I feel like the bad songs take so much away from the show. Their humor seems top-notch and to be of the same quality as season one.
Infrequent high-quality albums would also be preferable. Or they could stop and go on with their lives. I hope they end on a high note, though.
Beth, did you really need to fake your death?

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:36 pm

What I've noticed is that these songs to seem to be more direct parodies to actual songs ("Sugalumps" to "My Humps", "I'm In Love With A Sexy Lady" to "Same Girl" and "Carol Brown" to another comedian who has a choir of ex girlfriends as part of his act) whereas the songs from season one seemed to be parodies on song genres ("I'm Not Crying" to most ballads, "Most Beautiful Girl in the Room" to most cheesy love songs, etc) with just hilarious lyrics. Also, the songs from season one were songs that they have been performing for years - they came along way before the show did -- this season I think the songs were written with the show in mind...

It also seemed liked season one was more hilarious songs with funny episodes written around them, and this season is more like hilarious episodes with funny/catchy songs written around them.

I'm not sure yet which way I like best. Though it doesn't matter too much because in 4 weeks the season will be over and I don't believe there will be another season after this one :( I personally (and selfishly) wish they would keep going, but it's not up to me (unfortunately)...

*drops 2 cents into jar*

Return to “HBO TV series”