An interesting note about the writers of the episodes

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
prettyrobyngirl
Registered Rhymnecologist

An interesting note about the writers of the episodes

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:09 pm

I just noticed something about who is writing the episodes for Season Two.

While I really believe there is no such thing as a "bad" Conchords episode, some this season have stood out more than others. "New Cup" and "Unnatural Love" and recently "Love is the Weapon of Choice" have been the favourties according to the boards, while "Tough Brets", "Murray Take it to the Next Level" and "A Good Opportunity" haven't been as popular.

I noticed today though that the writers of Episodes 2, 5, and 6 are NOT Bret, Jemaine and James. They are some of the writers from the second half of last season. Check it out if you want to know who:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Flight_of_the_Conchords_episodes

Building on Sherry's post about general thoughts on the second season, I am just wondering what you all think about this little tidbit of info?
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

Emafer

Re: An interesting note about the writers of the episodes

Postby Emafer » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:04 am

I don't think that there is anything wrong with bring in other writers. I mean, writing an episode can be a time consuming laborious task. And though some creative people are great at it other haven't honed that specific talent. I just wouldn't want the show to get away from Bret and Jemaine. Beucase when it comes down to it they ARE the show.

bibliaddict
Consistently Mediocre

Postby bibliaddict » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:30 am

"Drive By" is my very favorite episode from s1; I wish Taika would write/direct another. I also love "Girlfriends" (Eric Kaplan) and "New Fans" (Duncan Sarkies, who did s2's "New Cup"). That said, I agree with Emafer that the more involved Bret & Jemaine are in the writing, the better the end product. Both Taika & Sarkies have longstanding creative & personal relationships with the guys, and the writing shows how tuned in they are to the characters.
Spandex Inspector #12

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby Bad Atom » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:17 pm

Knowing how a TV writing staff operates, the process is so collaborative that you can't simply go by whose name is on the credits. From what we've seen, the guys are heavily involved in the writing process of every episode.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:54 pm

With S1 I loved the first 6 eps immediately and came to love the other 6 in time. The 2nd half of the series had a different feel to me and it was interesting to see that there were different writers involved in many of those.

The Taika ep was indeed very good and he was in NYC for the 2nd season so I assume he wrote one of the upcoming eps (I thought it had something to do with puppets?)

Edit: I see Taika directed the finale.

The strangest thing is that the same guys who wrote my least fave FOTC ep ever - The Actor, also wrote my fave ep this season - Unnatural Love.
90% evil
ImageImage

Emafer

Postby Emafer » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:10 am

Oh I think "The Actor" is hilarious. But I love Will Forte. If you don't like him that might have something to do with it more than who wrote what episode.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:57 pm

I'd never heard of Will Forte prior to The Actor. There are certain aspects of that ep that I love but he wasn't one of them. :lol:
90% evil
ImageImage

Return to “HBO TV series”