Postby SheWolf » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:14 am

They'd better do DW live or else they're gonna be hearing from me. :x
90% evil
ImageImage

LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Re: HBO Flight of the Conchords Show - Season Two - Ep 7

Postby LSully9 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:25 am

I just watched again and like many of the other eps, it was better the second time around. :) Mom watched it with me, she loved the "Garfunkeling" line. :lol:

SheWolf wrote:They'd better do DW live or else they're gonna be hearing from me. :x

Well, if they don't do it at the early show, we can pass notes up to them for the late one, since we'll be sitting right in front of them. :wink:
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Postby LSully9 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:30 am

Is it just me, or is there no new song on iTunes this week? :dunno: :down:
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Great H » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:52 am

LSully9 wrote:Is it just me, or is there no new song on iTunes this week? :dunno: :down:
Nothing here either Sully :(

ardy
Redheads not warheads

Postby ardy » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:39 am

SheWolf wrote:They'd better do DW live or else they're gonna be hearing from me. :x

after watching this episode for the ninetyhundredth time, i absolutely concur. this will kicka$$ done live...

also, may i please give a shoutout to bret for rockin a flying V?? hello?? nice look on ya!
...Detroit - City of Tomorrow...

take this sinking boat and point it home..we've still got time...

Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Val2150 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:08 am

I'll just echo ladyqueen and say what. the. hell?! That was....weird. Very cutely daffy, in true Conchords style, but just weird. I think the only part I really liked was Demon Woman and thought Bret and Jemaine looked mad sexy. I need to see them rock it out on electric guitars at the concert. Jemaine singing and the "evil" laugh? Whoa. :waggle:

I won't repeat what everyone else said - I didn't hate it by any means - anything the Conchords do is by no means bad - but I think it's my least favorite so far.
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania

onlyalways
Keeping it funky

Postby onlyalways » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:47 am

Honestly? One of my least favorite episodes... ever. :bang:

Songs were ok- Alright, so leather clad Conchords does make my lady bits scream, so that was a definite plus-plus.

I LOL'd a few times, but the episode as a whole? Not working for me.

But this episode made me miss Mel A LOT. I think they aren't utilizing her character this season. :cry:

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:49 am

All I have to say is, Whambi, great eyes to pick up the Mel sign! :yay: After you mentioned it, it took me several viewings to find it. :rolleyes: (I wasn't looking early enough)

And Poptartgirl and charks, thanks for the definitive language of the karaoke - on the closed captioning, it said, "Bret sings in Japanese". Oh well... :roll: Did he do well in the pronunciation department? He certainly had the style down. Back in the mid 80s in LA, I used to frequent a Japanese restaurant because they had a great jazz combo, but Fri nights they had this newfangled thing called Karaoke, where people got up and sang pop tunes, but the owners got up and sang songs like Bret's (but in Japanese), complete with similar videos.
Not that it matters much, but anybody got any idea why they sang in Korean as opposed to Japanese? I'm intrigued.
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:57 am

So I just watched it for the first time - and my opinion of the episode will change over multiple viewings so I can't say much for now.

But Jem making that evil laugh, killed me and attracted me at the same time. Rawr ;)

And my video quality on my computer isn't so great so the guys didn't look too hot in the leather but I'm sure once I see it on the DVD it'll look fantastic.

I laughed pretty hard at a couple spots but other than that I didn't really laugh as much as some of the other episodes of this season. Then again, it takes me a couple of times watching it to really get all of the jokes in their entirety (with the facial expressions and whatnot)

Good overall, not the best so far this season, IMHO, but definitely not bad.

Felt like crying a bit when I saw the advert for next week's and it said "only 3 episodes left"...

:tears: :tears:

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:17 am

Yup, I felt the same, Kelly.
:tears: :tears: :tears:

But let's enjoy those three remaining episodes like there's no tomorrow! :woohoo:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:28 am

Nancy Hillner wrote:Yup, I felt the same, Kelly.
:tears: :tears: :tears:

But let's enjoy those three remaining episodes like there's no tomorrow! :woohoo:

I'll try but it's so hard knowing it's probably going to be the end for forever!

*tries hard to think of positives*

I think I need Jem to... :goodman: :hug: me a bit...

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:43 am

:bighug:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

halokiti
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby halokiti » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:56 am

This was not the usual episode. More plotlines than usual. As I was watching "Demon Woman" I knew that the ladies were really really going to like it, well I certainly enjoyed it. Mel saying the Garfunkeling fiend a psycho was the pot calling the kettle black, and then with Doug in the car. LOL. That disgusted look on her face when Jemaine told her what he did was classic. I didn't notice that Bret said Jemaine was gone for 3 days until the second viewing, that's a lot of Garfunkeling. That reddish afro wig is more disturbing than sexy. I did think Bret looked cute in his later era Simon hair.

Yeah, Bret's singing is supposed to be in Korean. I say supposed b/c his "Korean" didn't sound very Korean, I've been watching the Korean channel a lot recently and it didn't sound close to that(not that I speak or comprehend it w/o English subtitles). That video was done correctly compared to what I've seen.

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby Bad Atom » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:58 am

"Murray, we don't sing other people's songs."
"Oh, I know, Bret, but here's the thing. I listen to some of their songs, and they're actually better than your songs." :rolls:

Okay, after a second viewing, my opinion still stands - favorite episode of the season. Two plots, equally funny, that come together nicely in the end. Just enough plot, just enough humor, and great use of the whole ensemble. I'm surprised everyone else isn't all OMG BEST EPISODE EVAR!!!!11!!!!1!, but hey, we're all different. :)

I liked the following things:

[*] I'm disclosing my bias right now. I'm madly in love with Mary Lynn Rajskub, so seeing her on this show made my freaking day. She was acting relatively normal by her standards, which made it even funnier when Mel was telling Jemaine about how psycho Karen was. As an objective reviewer, I think we saw just enough of the character. Any more would have stretched the joke too thin. As my normal, biased self, I want to see her join the cast. :heartbeat:

[*] I had no idea that was Patton Oswalt playing the Elton John impersonator until my second viewing. Either I'm really dumb, or he's really good. Likely both.

[*] The Prime Minister of New Zealand, just chillin' out with Dave, discussing "The Matrix".

[*] "Demon Woman". Now THAT is how you effectively combine a good song with a good video! I hadn't heard it before, so I can't compare it to any previous live version. Bret looked very "seventies" with his hair combed down like that. And even as a guy I have to admit Jemaine has some great dance moves.

[*] I loved the scene between Jemaine and Mel. It would have been very easy for Mel to go over the top creepy here, but Kristen Schaal handled it very well. She's not just a stalking fan - you can see she actually cares about the guys.

[*] Actually, Mel's every appearance was gold this week. Her confusion watching the guys sing Simon & Garfunkel, her CRAZY sign (which I missed the first time), and making out with Doug-as-Bret in the car were all highlights. Just walk away, Jemaine...

[*] Art Garfunkel's cameo was very nice. "This is like the twelfth one."

[*] And speaking of things I love: the appearance of "Barack Obama". (All my favorite things in one show!) The whole scene was very funny, especially Bret's bodyguard outfit. For some reason it just made me laugh.

I disliked the following things:

[*] The descriptions of unseen past gigs are getting old. It's been done several times this season already.

"What about that gig at the taco shop?"
"That wasn't a gig."
"What do you mean, it wasn't a gig? Of course it was, you were playing in front of people!"
"But the restaurant was closed."
"You were playing for the janitor! And you got free food out of it!"
"I don't think that food was originally meant for us."
"Yes, he was about to throw it away."
"Well, it was on the floor to begin with."

(I just made that one up on the spot. :lol:)

[*] The whole Prime Minister plot seemed very 80's-sit-com-ish, but it was redeemed by a brilliant performance by Brian Sergent, who was consistently entertaining throughout. Apparently New Zealand is run by that crazy uncle that everyone has.

[*] I'm completely torn on Bret's karaoke song. It was brilliant and odd, with Bret leaning forward to see the "words" and his deadpan expression after finishing. The melody was quite catchy too. I just wonder if it was too odd for some folks, and I think it was poorly placed. It was too far away from the setup of the karaoke gig at the beginning of the show. By the time the song came on, it took me a second to remember the reference. But it wouldn't be the first time this show has been too subtle.

[*] The end credits scene with Bret as Paul Simon was just kind of odd and fell flat.

Return to “HBO TV series”