HBO Flight of the Conchords Show - Season Two - Ep 7

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
The Talking Stove
Giving the paper to the people

Re: HBO Flight of the Conchords Show - Season Two - Ep 7

Postby The Talking Stove » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:46 am

Bad Atom wrote:[*] I had no idea that was Patton Oswalt playing the Elton John impersonator until my second viewing. Either I'm really dumb, or he's really good. Likely both.

His accent was more Australian than English in places, but that would fit quite well with a character whos an impersonator!
Have you ever been told that you look like a llama?

Jilly
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Jilly » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:09 pm

I'll join the chorus of folks who had an "eh" reaction to Devil Woman. I thought it was a Doors/Jim Morrison kind of thing, so maybe I just missed the reference. But I loved the Brian PM story. The guys bowing to him when they first meet, and Bret calls him "your holiness." Dave talking about the Matrix with Brian, "f*n a!" The Obama impersonator who also does Usher and Will Smith.

So maybe I'm used to watching Lost and I've trained my eyeballs to focus in on tiny tiny things. But, I couldn't help but notice that the license plate on Mel and Doug's car was blurred out. Are they really so concerned that crazy stalker fans will be able to track them down? (None of us WTFers fit that description, of course.)

Oh and the sign on the consulate door at the beginning of the show, with very abbreviated hours and instructions "in case of emergency call Wellington."

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:55 pm

I also like how when Bret and Jemaine first go into Murray's office in the beginning Jemaine goes "What's going on it's like an office in here!" LOL

prettyrobyngirl
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:41 pm

Most of my favourite bits were already said, but a few things that haven't been mentioned.

Watch Jemaine when "Elton" mentions that the one of the members of the "trouble waters" Simon and Garfunkel tribute band who the boys were replacing had a bladder infection. His face and hand gestures are truly priceless!

A few pages back, there was lots of talk about Jem being too overt with his sexuality in DW. Agreed it was slightly out of character, but that's the point of the songs, isn't it? Give them an outlet to say what they want really feel without being awkward or weird. If you watch close enough, even in the video he still pushes up his glasses and licks his lips.

There were enough "innocent" moments from Jemaine this week to override any of these concerns. His line about "wanting to see the details" when Karen asked for him to take his glasses off KILLED ME. And he looked so adorable and innocent when he was on the bench talking to Mel. This very well be my favourite "Jemaine" episode to date- not sure if it is all around yet. Only multiple viewings can decide that (meaning at least in double digits!)

One of the best moments of the season by far was Bret's Karaoke number- I giggled through the whole thing, and actually caught myself singing "Oh happy 'chum' yeah!" this morning... someone PLEASE has to yell that out to them live!!!
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:59 pm

prettyrobyngirl wrote:If you watch close enough, even in the video he still pushes up his glasses and licks his lips.

I watched the video on Youtube yesterday and I LOVE that part, where Jemaine pushes up his glasses. It is SO CUTE.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:26 pm

mockingbird wrote:
prettyrobyngirl wrote:If you watch close enough, even in the video he still pushes up his glasses and licks his lips.

I watched the video on Youtube yesterday and I LOVE that part, where Jemaine pushes up his glasses. It is SO CUTE.

Couple of things: I love it whenever Jemaine pushes up his glasses...the psychology minor in me would suggest that it represents Jem's vulnerability...

Also, I haven't been to a live show of theirs (yet. Will be going in April) but from the stuff on YouTube that I have seen it looks like they don't really like people yelling out requests, love declarations...or anything for that matter...maybe I'm missing something though...

slut_angel22@yahoo
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby slut_angel22@yahoo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:46 pm

Couple of things: I love it whenever Jemaine pushes up his glasses...the psychology minor in me would suggest that it represents Jem's vulnerability...

Vulnerable - THAT'S the word I've been looking for. That's what I'm attracted to about Jem. His vulnerability. He was just too unvulnerable in DW - he was overtly sexually 'dangerous', in fact...but, I did notice the glasses thing and silently thanked God :pray: when he did it.... :wink:

For me the whole attraction to Jem is my own imagination of what's going on behind those glasses - I'll make up the fantasy myself. Maybe it's like when a guy goes to a nudie bar - once the clothes come off what's left to intrigue? I guess I'm afraid of losing 'the quest' for more of him as he becomes more demonstrative - once the quest is gone, what's left for a mere fan? I dunno - I may just be rambling here trying to put my thoughts and feelings together.
Bret: Have been sheared.
Jemaine: Have been shorn.

prettyrobyngirl

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:48 pm

kellysouthpaw wrote:Also, I haven't been to a live show of theirs (yet. Will be going in April) but from the stuff on YouTube that I have seen it looks like they don't really like people yelling out requests, love declarations...or anything for that matter...maybe I'm missing something though...

It wasn't so much a 'please yell it so they play it' request, since I don't think the karaoke will translate all too well live (I secretly hope that I am wrong because it would be so amazing!), so much as a 'we appreciate you' reference... If I weren't on the other side of the world, I would be there with bells on, likely quietly enjoying and smiling from ear to ear...

I know what you mean about the live shows, which is why I hope they change it up enough to keep the audience on their toes. Last tour, the vids I have seen, everyone seemed to know the banter and the jokes. I worry that with so many new fans, the crowds will just overpower their show... REALLY hoping this won't be the case, but you all will have to wait and see, and I will have to wait to see the youtube vids :(
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

JulesJules

Postby JulesJules » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:20 pm

I enjoyed this episode, but it was viry strange and bizarre. My son said that this episode should probably be viewed while on drugs. :supz:

H....
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby H.... » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:24 pm

I actually really loved this episode. It made me giggle to myself in the daft way that only fotc make me laugh.
Also: :tonqe:
Throw us your potatoes!

Great H

Postby Great H » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:40 pm

kellysouthpaw wrote:
Nancy Hillner wrote:Nancy Hillner wrote:
Yup, I felt the same, Kelly.
:tears: :tears: :tears:

But let's enjoy those three remaining episodes like there's no tomorrow!

I'll try but it's so hard knowing it's probably going to be the end for forever!

Not necessarily Kelly! (I'm about to post something in the 'TV, media & press' section that might help you think of those positives!)

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:50 pm

Great H wrote:
kellysouthpaw wrote:
Nancy Hillner wrote:Nancy Hillner wrote:
Yup, I felt the same, Kelly.
:tears: :tears: :tears:

But let's enjoy those three remaining episodes like there's no tomorrow!

I'll try but it's so hard knowing it's probably going to be the end for forever!

Not necessarily Kelly! (I'm about to post something in the 'TV, media & press' section that might help you think of those positives!)

*squeals in utter delight* :clap:

Great H

Postby Great H » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:56 pm

Just trying to work out how... *erk!*

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:06 pm

I'll keeping checking that forum to see what you've posted! I must say I'm excited to see/hear whatever it is...

I also wanted to just hug Murray when he was apologizing to the PM for not getting in to see "The President of America" :goodman:

ladyqueen
New arrival

Postby ladyqueen » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:35 am

Okie dokie... I rewatched it last night, and I really liked it.

The only odd thing (now) is the 2nd song. I doubt I'll ever get over that part. It's just so out-of-place...
Demon-woman you sit on a rock
Looking nice in your frock,
But you're scaring my livestock...

Return to “HBO TV series”