Breaking Character Discussion (for seasons 1 and 2)

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
onlyalways
Keeping it funky

Breaking Character Discussion (for seasons 1 and 2)

Postby onlyalways » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:23 am

Didn't see a forum for this- so I decided to start one.

I never notice this stuff first time watching, but on the 2nd or 3rd or 4th or 5th I start to notice subtle to not-so-subtle smiles and expressions that, to me, makes me think they just couldn't keep a straight face during the take...

Most of these are smiles between Bret and Jemaine, and it could JUST be them smiling, but they really rarely smile in the show and these seems just a bit too.... genuine. :D :yawinkle:

So here is what I've caught so far:

Season 1:
In "Yoko" when Bret and Jemaine are singing Sello Tape in the alley, Jemaine starts singing "People people people..." and Bret is singing and looks off set and releases a gorgeous smile for a couple full seconds.

In "Sally Returns" during the Business Time music video, Sally looks like she is about to crack up laughing when she says "I might go to bed, I got work in the morning." She doesn't even finish saying Morning!

Season 2:
In "The Tough Brets" when Murray is talking about how he was in a gang, pay attention to Bret and Jemaine through the scene. Jemaine almost looks like he has tears in his eyes from trying not to laugh, and at one point Bret looks over at Jemaine and gives a small smirk at Murray.

During "I'm in love with a Sexy Lady" after "When? Then. Right then? Right then." Bret starts to smile right before it cuts to a different shot- wouldn't be surprised if he had started laughing. :nod:

Also during the same song- when Bret gives Jemaine the basketball (to his face, :P ) Jemaine starts smiling/laughing... but I can't tell if he was suppose to that or not.

This is all I have found (or remember) at the moment. Now I'm wondering if you guys have caught any slips from the gang.

ardy
Redheads not warheads

Re: Breaking Character Discussion (for seasons 1 and 2)

Postby ardy » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:43 am

first one that comes to mind for me is during the 'you don't have to be a prostitute' song, bret looks like he's been laughing or about to crack up during the first walk down the street with jemaine....

i'm amazed at how they play it cool all the time...
how can you ask a guy, "...did you use protection?"
and he responds, "...yis, but only on my penis."
and not....bust....out....laughing.

they're phenomenal.

(great thread idea!)
...Detroit - City of Tomorrow...

take this sinking boat and point it home..we've still got time...

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:56 am

ardy wrote:first one that comes to mind for me is during the 'you don't have to be a prostitute' song, bret looks like he's been laughing or about to crack up during the first walk down the street with jemaine....

i'm amazed at how they play it cool all the time...

they're phenomenal.

(great thread idea!)

I'm with you - I can't watch that episode without dying. I don't know how they do it.

eejm
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby eejm » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:42 am

In "A New Cup," after Eugene has finished his spiel to Jemaine about selling himself at airport hotels, they both look *this close* to cracking up.

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:49 am

eejm wrote:In "A New Cup," after Eugene has finished his spiel to Jemaine about selling himself at airport hotels, they both look *this close* to cracking up.

I <<<LOVED>>> that scene! It just seemed like they were trying to crack each other up. I may be aging myself, but it's like on the old Carol Burnet show with Harvey Korman and Tim Conway. They were always trying to make the other break character. Love it!

Of course, with Eugene, I would have a hard time keeping a straight face. Especially in that scene. He was simultaneously funny and creepy. Wish he were in it more...
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

onlyalways
Keeping it funky

Postby onlyalways » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:55 am

ardy wrote:i'm amazed at how they play it cool all the time...

they're phenomenal.

(great thread idea!)

Thanks! I love catching this kind of stuff in TV/Movies. Mistakes too. :wink:

I was just thinking today how amazing that line is and might be one my favorites of the season. How do you think of writing, let alone perform it!!

onlyalways
Keeping it funky

Postby onlyalways » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:58 am

eejm wrote:In "A New Cup," after Eugene has finished his spiel to Jemaine about selling himself at airport hotels, they both look *this close* to cracking up.

How to get it done.

Hahaha I loved that scene, and you can tell Jemaine feels like he's about to lose it toward the end.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:01 am

onlyalways wrote:
ardy wrote:i'm amazed at how they play it cool all the time...

they're phenomenal.

(great thread idea!)

Thanks! I love catching this kind of stuff in TV/Movies. Mistakes too. :wink:

I was just thinking today how amazing that line is and might be one my favorites of the season. How do you think of writing, let alone perform it!!

So my PoliSci Professor is the one who got me into FOTC, and today we were talking about Alternative Voting (the Aussies made it up) and he made a comment about how the Aussies always make up such great things and what a great country it is and I automatically laughed and snorted all sarcastically. He looked at me kind of weird and I told him later that he wouldn't truly understand until he saw "Unnatural Love"...

Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Val2150 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:48 am

:nice: This is fun! I LOVE spotting little gaffes like this in movies and TV. Hmm.....
Season 1: In "The Third Conchord", when Murray is talking about the pied piper being cool, Jemaine is trying so hard not to laugh......you can see the corner of his mouth turn up and you can tell he's trying not to lose it. :D

"Bowie": When Murray comes to the guys' apartment and he's talking about the "magic" greeting card that plays music, you can see Jemaine is trying really hard not to laugh again. So cute!

Oh, to be a fly on the wall when they were taping.... it must have been so much fun!

That reminds me: should Bret/Jemaine/someone at HBO ever read this, I have three things to say about any upcoming DVD releases of the show:

OUTTAKES
DELETED SCENES
COMMENTARY

That's all. :D
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:52 am

Val2150 wrote:That reminds me: should Bret/Jemaine/someone at HBO ever read this, I have three things to say about any upcoming DVD releases of the show:

OUTTAKES
DELETED SCENES
COMMENTARY

I second that. :nod:
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:54 am

tvldiva wrote:
Val2150 wrote:That reminds me: should Bret/Jemaine/someone at HBO ever read this, I have three things to say about any upcoming DVD releases of the show:

OUTTAKES
DELETED SCENES
COMMENTARY

I second that. :nod:

I third. I think that's all we need to carry right? :purple:

onlyalways
Keeping it funky

Postby onlyalways » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:14 am

Val2150 wrote::nice: This is fun! I LOVE spotting little gaffes like this in movies and TV. Hmm.....
Season 1: In "The Third Conchord", when Murray is talking about the pied piper being cool, Jemaine is trying so hard not to laugh......you can see the corner of his mouth turn up and you can tell he's trying not to lose it. :D

"Bowie": When Murray comes to the guys' apartment and he's talking about the "magic" greeting card that plays music, you can see Jemaine is trying really hard not to laugh again. So cute!

Oh, to be a fly on the wall when they were taping.... it must have been so much fun!

That reminds me: should Bret/Jemaine/someone at HBO ever read this, I have three things to say about any upcoming DVD releases of the show:

OUTTAKES
DELETED SCENES
COMMENTARY

I must admit- the lack of special features was... wait, they didn't have ANY! :cry:

I am actually hoping that, if this second season does as well as they hoped or better, they re-release the first season DVD with the second second with special features for BOTH seasons.

But that is wishful thinking. :?

Anyway! I watched Bowie today and didn't notice that! I can't wait to watch again soon and pay attention.

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:22 am

I noticed that in 'Sally Returns', during Business Time, Rachel Blanchard starts to crack up just before going off screen when she mouths "I might go to bed now I've got work in the morning."

And not quite the same topic but I've noticed a few times, especially in season 2, that Jemaine has way more trouble with the lipsynch than Bret. Just watch him at the end of the Sexy Lady song in ep 6, he looks like he's fumbling with the words. He'll have to do lots of practising on that one for the live show (which I unfortunately won't be seeing since they aren't coming to my very metropolitan Canadian city! :tsk: )

onlyalways
Keeping it funky

Postby onlyalways » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:32 am

SuzyBatt wrote:And not quite the same topic but I've noticed a few times, especially in season 2, that Jemaine has way more trouble with the lipsynch than Bret. Just watch him at the end of the Sexy Lady song in ep 6, he looks like he's fumbling with the words. He'll have to do lots of practising on that one for the live show (which I unfortunately won't be seeing since they aren't coming to my very metropolitan Canadian city! :tsk: )

I have noticed this too. But with the Sexy Lady song, they were running or doing something kind of active so he may have been more distracted. I don't think it would be a problem on stage though. Its one thing to remember the lines and another to lipsync.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:31 pm

Jemaine is doing the "I'm close to cracking up" face all over the place this second season. The latest was last week's ep when he first sees Mel under the table.
Last edited by SheWolf on Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
90% evil
ImageImage

Return to “HBO TV series”