Duncan Sarkies!

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Duncan Sarkies!

Postby ASmallTurnip » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:43 pm

For all you fans of The Sark, he was on BBC Radio 5 Live this afternoon, talking to Simon Mayo about his new novel, Two Little Boys, as well as his work writing for the Conchords. It was great! For those of you who need a little mental prod, he's the friend of Bret and Jemaine's who wrote two of my very favourite episodes, New Fans and New Cup. Sarkies is a very relaxed, dryly funny guy, and I loved hearing his laid-back vowels hanging out with Mayo's very English staccato voice.

He talked about knowing the guys since their university days at Vic, and how they met while performing one of his plays. There was some interesting discussion about Kiwi humour, and Sarkies had some fairly scathing things to say about how hard it was to get original creative work like the Conchords commissioned back in New Zealand. What else? He didn't get to choose which of the episodes he wrote, but cheerfully pointed out that storylines involving male prostitution and threesomes obviously struck Bret and Jemaine as being Sarkies Territory. :D Apparently one of the reasons HBO decided to go ahead with the series was the fact that it was ridiculously cheap for them to make. They pinched pennies everywhere - even to the extent of making the guys to pay for their own accommodation in New York. The skinflints!

His novel sounds like a wonderful read, and it's obvious that the reviewers on the show were all sincerely delighted by it. Also, Two Little Boys comes recommended by none other than Mr. Jemaine Clement, who says of it: "Twisted, surprising and very very very funny. Did I put too many verys? I don't think so." I managed to snag tickets to go see him read stories from it this Sunday evening (the 8th of March) at the Barbican here in London. If anyone else in the area is interested, you can book here for either Saturday or Sunday night.

If you'd like to hear his BBC interview for yourself, you can find it here. Simon Mayo's show is three hours long, so if you scoot the slider along to the 2:18 point, that should be when Sarkies joins in the fun.

Anyway, hope this was interesting to anyone! I've been curious about him for a while now, so I'm really pleased to get the chance to meet him! Yaaaaaaaay! Shall I use a few more exclamation points? Why not!!!!!!

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Re: Duncan Sarkies!

Postby Sherry » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:11 pm

I shall try to get the interview saved so I can put it in MP3 format for people.

Great stuff Turnipus

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:31 pm

*fires up Audio Hijack Pro*

:type:

It'll be here soon :)

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:13 pm

And we are recording :)

nikki78
Lost but happy at sea

Postby nikki78 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:05 am

ASmallTurnip wrote:They pinched pennies everywhere - even to the extent of making the guys to pay for their own accommodation in New York. The skinflints!

:shock: What?!?!?! :shock:

Not that I didn't believe the guys before, but now I really believe them when they say there is not much money to be made from a tv show. There went all their salary right there!

Thanks for the info!

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:58 am

Thanks for the heads up, Turnip! :D
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:01 am

If I had a flat in NYC I'd totally let them stay for free.

Just saying.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:03 am

Well if he wrote "New Cup", he's got a huge fan here!!!! :clap:

Have a good time seeing him this weekend, Turnip. We look forward to your report.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:02 am

That's great that you get to go see him and hear him doing a reading!

As for making the guys pay for their own NY accommodations ... Yikes! I wonder if they didn't live too much differently from their characters!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Zap
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Zap » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:41 am

Wahoo! Thank you! I worship Duncan Sarkies. I think he's not only written the best episodes of the show, but has done so by a huge margin. Can't wait to listen to the interview!

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:34 pm

I've posted the snippets of Conchords talk HERE

Also it can be downloaded in full as a podcast from BBC

girl_with_bangs
New arrival

Postby girl_with_bangs » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:35 am

I LOVED ''Two Little Boys''. Such a delightful read. I wish Bret and Jemaine could read the audio book. Or Duncan and his brother could make a film with them in it. They'd be perfect as Nige and Deano.

If you haven't read it yet- there's a summary here-
http://www.duncansarkies.com/

I'm reading it again now... Just so crazy and funny. I love the best friend jealousy bits.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED . ;D
Jemaine was the hottest guy I ever touched. Well, ever saw, then he touched me.

Image ImageImage

Return to “HBO TV series”