HBO Flight of the Conchords Show - Season Two - Ep 8

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
prettyrobyngirl
Registered Rhymnecologist

Re: HBo TV Series Season 2 Episode 8

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:43 pm

I love Taika's episodes! They are filmed differently than others, with interesting angles and camera shots. I think he is directing the last episode too.

Although, I too can't believe that they didn't do the Bus Driver's song! I always wondered how they would ever work it into the show, if ever... and they had the most brilliant chance to do so. I am really hope that the shorter episode this week will allow for a the song to be included on DVD. This gives me hope though that Jenny might show up somewhere in the last two episodes (single tear for one hour left of the show...)

There are lots of things I adored, and many more I will probably catch on third-seventh viewing. Will post later, but for now, did anyone notice Greg dancing to "Rock the Party" at NZ town? AMAZING.
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:04 pm

I loved it. Love that the Prime Minister is still hanging around. I have to rewatch this, cause I know I missed a ton of stuff.

I actually liked the fact Bus Driver's Song didn't show up. It was a wink.
Besides, when were they going to sing that? NewZealandTown is only a block long!

On the "going out of character front", my husband noted Jemaine was close to falling over laughing when Murray was going on and on about "YOU'RE part Maori!"

I haven't heard anyone mention Fashion is Danger yet. I loved it! Maybe you have to be well-versed in 80's electro music to fully appreciate it, but the guys nailed it.

I'm mentioning it! Great cameo by Mel, nice nod to David Bowie's "Fashion", and listen for the steal from M's "Pop Muzik" with the city by city roll call.

Gary the Sheep getting upset because he was bald and they were barbequing lamb Bwah!
Dave Mohumbhai giving out NZ information, double bwah!

I love Taika episodes.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Re: HBO Flight of the Conchords Show - Season Two - Ep 8

Postby Sherry » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:28 pm

I edited the title so its in keeping with the other 7 so far :)

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:30 pm

mohumbhai mania wrote:I actually liked the fact Bus Driver's Song didn't show up. It was a wink.

A wink?? REALLY? WTF? :puzzled:

A wink would be one line or reference.

When it comes to the Bus Driver's song, this episode was all foreplay with no conclusion....well- you know what I mean :eyebrow:

Sure, there were some terrific bits but it's just too rude to set up a song and leave us hanging like that. :waiting:

I'm just confused. Last episode, they threw in Bret singing Korean karaoke with no explaination or link to the story. This episode was all set up and nothing! :down: Why!? :tears:
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:57 pm

Ummmm :worry:

OK, so I've yet to see this episode, but I don't see how Bus Drivers Song could be worked in. Its a song set in small town NZ. Ok, the plot may have led to the song, but would the version we know and love have really worked in the show last night?

Jemaine has said its his favourite Conchords song. I'm not sure I'd want to see it changed beyond all recognition to fit in to the TV show. Nor even changed a little bit.

I'm actually quite glad its not been used. Its a true gem of New Zealand.

But anyways, how would it have worked? With the same lyrics? Did the episode really set it up to make it possible.

Will not see this episode for a few days so am wondering is all :)

JulesJules

Postby JulesJules » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:57 pm

Maybe not a wink. More like a Gotcha. That song is too long even for the closing credits and wouldn't be easily truncated to fit.

I liked the PM last week, this week, his bit seemed a little stale. I was expecting more from NZTown, but maybe that was the point. It was a letdown even though I had rather low expectations. :o

My son thought Bret was very Marilyn Manson-like in "Posing", which is scary indeed. Loved the song, loved loved loved the entire hair gel debacle, and enjoyed this episode very much.

Only two more! :cry: Of course, they're coming to town 04/11, so I've got that to look forward to.

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:15 pm

But anyways, how would it have worked? With the same lyrics? Did the episode really set it up to make it possible.

I'm in the minority, but I don't think it would have worked. I liked the wink, or gotcha, or whatever. It's like the Watership Down jokes. Or using Devil Woman as a basis for the Demon Woman video. It's a deep in-joke. Good for them for piling them on.

Oh, and LMAO at the constant digs at Jemaine's body hair this episode, too.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

Jilly
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Jilly » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:31 pm

I really really enjoyed this episode. I loved that Brian the PM has stuck around. His reelection poster was just hilarious.

Was anyone else creeped out, in a good way of course, by jonesin' Jemaine's evil glance when Mel (or was it Murray) came into the apartment? I had a full blown case of the heeby jeebies from that stare. He would make a good villain someday. I'd like to see him play evil.

The Bus Driver's Song is my favorite FOTC song -- with just the right mix of comedy and melancholy. I not disappointed at all about the episode. We did get The Bus Driver's Song last night -- in fact we got a really gorgeous instrumental version. I'm happy with that!

Oh, and casting Mexicans as Maori warriors. Just brilliant. They nailed that social commentary, and kept it funny to boot.

Spumony5000
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Spumony5000 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:39 pm

I too thought they were setting up for the song and was a little disappointed when it didn't happen.
I was thinking the only way that it might work would be that they just could have had the PM as the bus driver imagining he was back in New Zealand giving a tour instead of being on one block in NYC and then perhaps come out of his daydream much like Mel did a few episodes back.

I still loved the episode. I noticed Greg dancing to Who likes to rock the party as well and I thought it was great. The whole hair gel thing was hilariously silly. I didn't recognize Lucy Lawless either until i saw her name in the credits. i totally forgot she was going to be on the show. I loved the song they played too. I thought it was a great send off to 80's pop music. :supz:
Do you want to borrow my jumper Bowie?

ardy
Redheads not warheads

Postby ardy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:49 pm

these two sets of dialogue are fast becoming my faves from this episode...

when jemaine has the empty gel jar and is eagerly using what's (not) left -
J: "..there's still some gel. there's still a little bit of gel."
B: "..you're imagining the gel, mister. there's no gel left, it's not there."
the look of genuine concern from bret to his gel-addicted pal and he says 'mister' :lol:

and -

4 days later, bret on the couch, jemaine sitting on the back of the couch, they're waiting for murray to come back with more gel -
J: "..where is he?"
B: "..he's problee just..dropped the gel..and he's had to go back and get some more."
J: "..what if he's keeping the gel..for himself..to make himself look good."
and then jemaine gives that EVIL-jemaine-look towards the door..(priceless!)
B: "..don't think so man."
J: "..that..big..ginger-head of his..looking GREAT."

:clap:
...Detroit - City of Tomorrow...

take this sinking boat and point it home..we've still got time...

prettyrobyngirl

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:55 pm

Sherry... I agree with you that this is a super hard song to fit logically into an episode, very much like my favourite song, Jenny. They are both pretty long, and very specific with character references that don't have much to do with Bret or Jemaine. Although, if anyone could make the song work in the episode without it being weird, its Taika.

A few things could have happened. Taika has obviously been around for a while, and maybe just used the song for inspiration for the episode either at suggestion from the boys or out of his own wonderfully creative head. Without giving too much away for your episode enjoyment, there is a small NZ town, a bus ride, the Paula married someone else issue. The episodes are rife with inside jokes with their fans- the sheeple, the art, the cookies, the lips, etc, etc- it wouldn't surprise me that they base a small storyline around a song that only their fans outside the tv show would know.

Another option. As mentioned by many, the episode was shorter than the rest this season, but at least a few minutes. Maybe they had somehow put the song in the episode, and it didn't work like they thought, so cut it and rather than putting in extra footage that didn't fit, they left it short. Or maybe they did play it over the credits and thought it was beyond a lot of their fan base getting it. Either way, it didn't make the final cut. Hopefully we will find out when the Season Two DVD comes out (*fingers crossed for extras, commentary, and all the rest!!!!).

Contrary to the board, there is a lot of people out there that just watch the show. They don't spend hours watching you tube vids, will likely never buy a FOTC CD and likely debated about spending the cash to see a live show. I don't understand these people, but rumour has it, they do exist. After all, they push a million people watching them on HBO ever Sunday yet on the board, there can't be more than a few hundred of us tops that participate on WTF. I don't think we are indicative of the larger viewing audience, so yes I get why they didn't throw the song in, and I agree with those who think it was a good idea to keep it out!

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:11 pm

prettyrobyngirl wrote:Contrary to the board, there is a lot of people out there that just watch the show. They don't spend hours watching you tube vids, will likely never buy a FOTC CD and likely debated about spending the cash to see a live show. I don't understand these people, but rumour has it, they do exist. After all, they push a million people watching them on HBO ever Sunday yet on the board, there can't be more than a few hundred of us tops that participate on WTF. I don't think we are indicative of the larger viewing audience, so yes I get why they didn't throw the song in, and I agree with those who think it was a good idea to keep it out!

Thanks for your thoughts on Bus Drivers Song :) I really wasn't expecting or wanting to see this song in the show so am not minding in the least its not actually in there. I like it was given a nod however.

The forum might not have thousands of people posting it, but the site gets hundreds of thousands of hits. It gets a lot of return visitors but also a lot of unique ones. The newsletter has thousands of people signed up for it. The interest is there. There are many many people out there who watch the show, buy the music and will pay to see them live. I think many don't get the early stuff as its just not what they see the Conchords as being, if discovering them via the TV series. Also Folk The World is only via a couple of NZ online stores. Not exactly mainstream.

But thats getting off track :lol: I think to post on a Conchords forum on a regular basis you kind of need to want to go that extra bit. Many people sign up, post once, a few times or not at all and thats it. But there are always people who like to talk more, have fun with things and those are the ones who find forums and enjoy them enough to keep coming back.

Erm, I'll let you all get back to topic now :popcorn:

prettyrobyngirl

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:44 pm

Sherry wrote:
prettyrobyngirl wrote:Contrary to the board, there is a lot of people out there that just watch the show. They don't spend hours watching you tube vids, will likely never buy a FOTC CD and likely debated about spending the cash to see a live show. I don't understand these people, but rumour has it, they do exist. After all, they push a million people watching them on HBO ever Sunday yet on the board, there can't be more than a few hundred of us tops that participate on WTF. I don't think we are indicative of the larger viewing audience, so yes I get why they didn't throw the song in, and I agree with those who think it was a good idea to keep it out!

The forum might not have thousands of people posting it, but the site gets hundreds of thousands of hits. It gets a lot of return visitors but also a lot of unique ones. The newsletter has thousands of people signed up for it. The interest is there. There are many many people out there who watch the show, buy the music and will pay to see them live. I think many don't get the early stuff as its just not what they see the Conchords as being, if discovering them via the TV series. Also Folk The World is only via a couple of NZ online stores. Not exactly mainstream.

Sherry, I hope that not for one second did you think I was implying that your site, hard work, and dedication of fans is anything short of truly outstanding! You have put so much work into it, and there has been a group of highly dedicated people around this site for years. You should be very proud of it and I am SO thankful for your enthusiasm. I get so much more out of the show each week because of this site, and have discovered countless articles, videos, etc that I wouldn't been able to find on my own. Thank You!!!!

I think what I was trying to say that it is sometimes easy to get lost in the world of Bret and Jemaine and forget that sometimes people aren't as 'into it' as those who are on here, or the hundreds of thousands of dedicated fans across the world. Like you said, some of their earlier stuff isn't as mainstream, and maybe won't work as well as their newer tunes, like the Bus Driver's Song.

That, and I am entirely isolated from any other FOTC fan (living in Africa, not too many regular HBO watchers around) and you guys are truly my only source of Bret and Jemaine talk... It's really hard to grasp what's happening back in North America in terms of their popularity. I am just shocked at the number of friends who are 20-something urban Canadianites that haven't heard of them! My friends are weird though. But rest assured that they will be receiving FOTC DVDs/CDs for birthdays/Christmas, to go with their zebra salad tongs of course.

Now back to subject: How cute is Mel when she puts milk in the boys fridge? Does she say "Some milk for my little piglets" or am I hearing that wrong. She was priceless this episode.

LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Postby LSully9 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:47 pm

ardy wrote:4 days later, bret on the couch, jemaine sitting on the back of the couch, they're waiting for murray to come back with more gel -
J: "..where is he?"
B: "..he's problee just..dropped the gel..and he's had to go back and get some more."
J: "..what if he's keeping the gel..for himself..to make himself look good."
and then jemaine gives that EVIL-jemaine-look towards the door..(priceless!)
B: "..don't think so man."
J: "..that..big..ginger-head of his..looking GREAT."

:clap:

:rolls: That was seriously one of my favourites scenes! I definately would not want to be on the receiving end of that look...
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:54 pm

My 2 cents quickly coz I'm up to eyeballs in work - awesome ep, currently my 3rd fave of the season, I think I laughed consistently more during this one than any other in S2. I love the PM and wouldn't have a problem seeing him in the remaining eps. Bret's emo/electro 80s look was so perfect I couldn't take my eyes off him. I thought Jemaine was going to play the Maori warrior complete with face tattoos and was disappointed when he didn't. Was momentarily perplexed by the lack of Bus Driver's Song. It could have been used as a fantasy sequence & it could have been abbreviated so there is obviously a reason that it wasn't, and that reason might be as simple as Taika yanking our chain which I have no problem with. I actually quite like the idea of them not immortilizing every song in their repetiore on the TV show & keeping it special for live performances etc. Who knew hair gel could be so funny? And who knew Jemaine could play such a convincing junkie? Great stuff.
90% evil
ImageImage

Return to “HBO TV series”