HBO Flight of the Conchords Show - Season Two - Ep 8

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Re: HBO Flight of the Conchords Show - Season Two - Ep 8

Postby LSully9 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:58 pm

prettyrobyngirl wrote:Now back to subject: How cute is Mel when she puts milk in the boys fridge? Does she say "Some milk for my little piglets" or am I hearing that wrong. She was priceless this episode.

Was she putting it in the fridge or putting it back? I missed that, but I did notice her pocketing some of the guys things (like Bret's sock, and she was sniffing Jemaine's shirt. :roll2: )
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:11 pm

God, I loved this episode. I loved everything about it. I was speechless with laughter throughout the whole thing. It really felt like the kind of classic, platonic ideal of Conchords humour: so gentle and ridiculous and utterly, utterly gormless. I loved how it had treats for both the new fans who don't know much about their back catalogue, but still managed to create a hilarious gift of the Bus Driver's Song story for the old hands. What a sweet present to us! I love it when you realise they've touched on certain jokes to make the old fans hoot with knowing delight. See, this is why I adore the Conchords. Have there ever been comedians who have appreciated their fans more?

And Gary is real, you guys! New Zealand really does have a famous sheep! But his name's not Gary, it's Shrek. Because he's a mon-stah, as Bret would say.

From The Times, 28th April, 2004:

Shrek the merino sheep evaded the shearer for six years by hiding out on the rocky mountain tops in New Zealand's South Island, but today he finally yielded up his enormous fleece.

The wily nine-year-old wether (a castrated adult male sheep) has become a national star on New Zealand television, after he was filmed during his dramatic capture on April 15 during a round-up on Bendigo Station in Central Otago province. Looking more like a giant woolly slug than a sheep, with his nose barely protruding from his poll and his feet only just visible, he nonetheless put up a good chase before he was finally cornered among some rocks, and carried away.

Shearers say that the hardy animal probably survived freezing winters on the high country farm 400 miles south of the capital Wellington, and 4,900ft above sea level, by hiding in caves. He was dubbed Shrek in a nod to the large friendly ogre who features in a children's cartoon film. Today thousands tuned in to watch a televised charity event in which Peter Casserly, the former world blade shearing champion, removed Shrek's huge 59lb fleece, big enough to make 20 men's suits.

Shrek was carried into the shearing hall at Golden Gate Lodge in Cromwell, and placed in a pen on a platform surrounded by an admiring audience. Twenty-five minutes later his 15in coat of heavily matted wool, said to be rock hard in places, was lying on the floor and Shrek emerged from under the shears unrecognisable - small, white, and considerably lighter.

Mr Casserly considerately left him a covering of wool as winter is approaching. Afterwards, Shrek posed in a smart blue jacket - made of merino wool, naturally - with his owner, John Perriam. The fleece will later be auctioned for a children's charity.

And here he is, all shorn:

And getting to meet the NZ Prime Minister, Helen Clark:

AWESOME. I can't believe how many bits of wonderful Kiwi trivia the guys manage to cram into their show. It's like a really ramshackle, gluey, hand-made valentine to New Zealand, isn't it? I love it so. Image :heart: :yawinkle:

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:12 pm

I have a couple of points to make concerning the Bus driver song-
1)Since when has any song been "logical" on this show?? If so, at least half the songs could be dismissed as illogical.

2)Since when have they been concerned about making a "perfect" video/song. The ones I like the best are the ones that on paper seem totally unbelievable. You have to actually swing at the ball to hit a home run. (Sorry for the baseball reference, it just seemed appropriate).

Despite all that, I still think this episode is fantastic. Murray's warning about the hair gel and it's eventual obsession, Mel has a key to the apartment(brilliant!), Greg dancing(double brilliant), but the 80's song/video just cracked me up so much!! I was in tears.

Yeah, still a bit bitter but I'll live.... :roll:
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:16 pm

I love the PM and wouldn't have a problem seeing him in the remaining eps.

My husband loves the PM so much that he runs out out of the computer room when he hears he's on the show. Usually he only listens to the Conchords when he's on the computer.

And Gary is real, you guys!

What an awesome story, turnip! I am dead with laughter. "looking more like a giant woolly slug..."
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

trefusis
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby trefusis » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:26 pm

:rolls: That sheep is priceless! I never knew they had such expressive features before - but look at his FACE just after he's lost his crowning glory... and compare it to the one with Helen Clark :roll2:

ASmallTurnip wrote:AWESOME. I can't believe how many bits of wonderful Kiwi trivia the guys manage to cram into their show. It's like a really ramshackle, gluey, hand-made valentine to New Zealand, isn't it? I love it so. Image :heart: :yawinkle:

As a fellow native of a place with a high Scots influence, the references to Presbyterians always crack me up.

<will let you guys who've akcherly seen it get back to topic now :oops: >
That's the conclusion that I've come to, but...

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:32 pm

prettyrobyngirl wrote:Sherry, I hope that not for one second did you think I was implying that your site, hard work, and dedication of fans is anything short of truly outstanding! You have put so much work into it, and there has been a group of highly dedicated people around this site for years. You should be very proud of it and I am SO thankful for your enthusiasm. I get so much more out of the show each week because of this site, and have discovered countless articles, videos, etc that I wouldn't been able to find on my own. Thank You!!!!

O gosh no, not for one second did I think that. If my reply indicated otherwise it wasn't intended. I was just trying to show the interest in a website (and WTF! being the one I know the stats on :P ) in the Conchords outside of the TV show was all.

Wires crossed maybe. But no, did not think that in the least :)

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:34 pm

Also?

I am a daughter of the Eighties, and I am not ashamed to admit that this:

Is giving me a massive, throbbing, girlish heart-on. New Romantics in jodhpurs just do it for me. And no. Your scorn cannot touch me.

I am immune.

I am Fashion.

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:47 pm

Bret has the perfect bone structure and build to pull of this slightly effeminate look to a T. J on the other hand.... :hrmpf: :lol:
90% evil
ImageImage

bibliaddict
Consistently Mediocre

Postby bibliaddict » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:54 pm

ASmallTurnip wrote:Also?

I am a daughter of the Eighties, and I am not ashamed to admit that this:

Is giving me a massive, throbbing, girlish heart-on. New Romantics in jodhpurs just do it for me. And no. Your scorn cannot touch me.

I am immune.

I am Fashion.

Sweet baby gee, I'm totally with you on this. He is so rocking the Nick Rhodes "Girls on Film"-era look, I can barely stand it. :horny:

SheWolf wrote:Bret has the perfect bone structure and build to pull of this slightly effeminate look to a T. J on the other hand.... :hrmpf: :lol:

Yip, Jemaine needs to stick with the leather-clad look from "Demon Woman," although they both looked mighty fine in duelling gear. :fence:
Spandex Inspector #12

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:11 pm

Its just the beard makes it so, so wrong.

:shock:

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:14 pm

See, their outfits remind me of those Nu-Wave bands in small towns in Michigan that didn't quite get it - "oh, I'll have fringe bangs in front....and a beard!" Which makes it even funnier to me.

And how great was Mel in that clip? LOL!
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

WomanInThePark
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby WomanInThePark » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:03 pm

The way I see BDS as being done is having the PM singing it with B and J's voices. New Zealand Town is so real that he is magically transported back to NZ in his mind and all.
I really like Fashion this second time I'm seeing it.
Emo Bret = :thud: (finally found the swoonish smiley)
Oh also: Freakiocity! And Bret in a kilt!!!! Next episode will be so awesome it's crazy how awesome it will be.
Beth, did you really need to fake your death?

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:12 am

Sherry wrote:Its just the beard makes it so, so wrong. :shock:

That's exactly what I was thinking. Bret has the perfect fact and frame for the early 80's look but beards were a no-no. Hard to be effeminate with manly facial hair. :eyebrow:

As usual, this show is jammed pack with great lines. I just watched it again and couldn't stop laughing at Mel in 80's fashion.
Scary how realistic she looked. **breaks into a cold sweat at the thought of shoulder pads**

Favorite new non-curse word- shivers.

Favorite acting by non-human- Gary. At the end, he walks into the middle of the street, stops. Looks longingly as Paula walks away.... You could practically feel the heartbreak!! :roll2:
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

The Talking Stove
Giving the paper to the people

Postby The Talking Stove » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:17 am

Loved the hurling of the empty gel tub, excellent bickering :D

Playing a gig to an audience consisting mainly of shopping was also fantastic.

"That big ginger head of his....looking great!" said with such resentment, awesome.

The bit about the sheep reminded me a little of the Father Ted "King of the Sheep" episode featuring Chris the Sheep. Sheep are funny.

This episode was short, about 23 minutes as opposed to the 27 that they usually are (sans commercials)...I wonder if the Bus Drivers Song was going to be in there but there was a change of mind at the last minute for some reason...
Have you ever been told that you look like a llama?

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:30 am

The Talking Stove wrote:Playing a gig to an audience consisting mainly of shopping was also fantastic. ...
Supposedly it was based on a real life incident which makes it even better.

The Talking Stove wrote:"That big ginger head of his....looking great!" said with such resentment, awesome.
Definitely one of my fave lines. :nod:

The Talking Stove wrote:"I wonder if the Bus Drivers Song was going to be in there but there was a change of mind at the last minute for some reason...
I wonder too. And it's made curiouser by the seemingly obvious edit of it out of the What Goes On Tour ep as well. Hmmmm... :hrm:
90% evil
ImageImage

Return to “HBO TV series”