HBO Flight of the Conchords Show - Season Two - Ep 8

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
onlyalways
Keeping it funky

Re: HBO Flight of the Conchords Show - Season Two - Ep 8

Postby onlyalways » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:35 am

Theory about lack of Bus Driver Song:

I just scanned the board- sorry if this was already mentioned...

What if they couldn't get the song cleared? I have only listened to the song once, but I remember a lot of locations being named- maybe they couldn't get a lyric cleared?...

I just find it extremely odd that the song wasn't included, even with all that back story and build up. And more notably, there was only one song played compared to the standard two, and the run time of this episode was about 23 minutes compared to 27/28 minutes.

I just really think at the last minute the song had to get cut, and not by their choice. So this was the easiest way for the episode to flow without the song.

As for the episode itself,
:clap: :thumb: :clap:

Loved it. So funny. Emo hair, Bret's PJ's, the crack-like addiction, awesome dave being awesome as usual, Taika, posing, being cool, whatever, dangerous cup throwing, fitting revenges...

So good. Sad to see it end.

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:12 am

onlyalways wrote:Theory about lack of Bus Driver Song:

I just scanned the board- sorry if this was already mentioned...

What if they couldn't get the song cleared? I have only listened to the song once, but I remember a lot of locations being named- maybe they couldn't get a lyric cleared?...

While it may be possible, I think it's unlikely, Only. The boys paid for and produced the Folk the World album themselves, so they own the rights to the Bus Driver's Song. Nobody else to clear it through. And there are definitely no legal precedents prohibiting the right to name any location in a song - there's clearly no slander involved, except maybe of that no-good raffle-cheating mayor. But perhaps most importantly of all, all the locations in the song are imaginary. They don't exist, except in the fragrant imaginations of those boys from Wellington. Not even the sock factory. I know! It's a scandal!

As to whether the song was yanked from the final edit, or if it was ever even recorded for the HBO show at all, I don't know. 'Tis a mystery!

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

VaiVedrai
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby VaiVedrai » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:46 am

ASmallTurnip wrote:Also?

I am a daughter of the Eighties, and I am not ashamed to admit that this:

Is giving me a massive, throbbing, girlish heart-on. New Romantics in jodhpurs just do it for me. And no. Your scorn cannot touch me.

I am immune.

I am Fashion.
bibliaddict wrote:Sweet baby gee, I'm totally with you on this. He is so rocking the Nick Rhodes "Girls on Film"-era look, I can barely stand it. :horny:
SheWolf wrote:Bret has the perfect bone structure and build to pull of this slightly effeminate look to a T.
Sherry wrote:Its just the beard makes it so, so wrong. :shock:
tvldiva wrote:That's exactly what I was thinking. Bret has the perfect face and frame for the early 80's look but beards were a no-no. Hard to be effeminate with manly facial hair. :eyebrow:

The facial hair still looks good to me. Then again, I once mistook a guy on an album cover for a new wave 80's band to be a very pretty girl. So Bret's choppy, red-tipped cut with beard in the video is both pseudo-androgynous and viry sixy. :thud: I think I've officially crossed over from Jemainiac to Breterosexual now. Also, Turnip, I love your phrase "heart-on". I'm going to start looking for excuses to use it.
If you don't know the answer, change the question.

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:53 am

I'm going to have to agree with those of you who are kinda happy they didn't use Bust Drivers Song in this episode. It's probably one of my favourite songs and the Folk the World version is the one I know and love. I'm not sure if they could do it justice in the TV realm. I did like the little instrumental version during the credits. This episode felt like a little inside joke for the die-hard fans. All in all I really enjoyed it. The hair gel bits were cracking me up and I loved Fashion is Danger! Reminded me of Visage - Fade to Grey http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cznha2YTTh0 :thumb:
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

VaiVedrai

Postby VaiVedrai » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:02 am

I have a tub of hair gel somewhere, and this episode makes me want to get it out and start trying out some crazy styles. Fashion is dangerous indeed. :yawinkle:
EDIT: It was a bad idea. If I want to even try to copy Bret's emo hair, I'll need a lot more time and patience...ah, shivers.
Last edited by VaiVedrai on Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
If you don't know the answer, change the question.

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:15 am

VaiVedrai wrote:
ASmallTurnip wrote:Also?

I am a daughter of the Eighties, and I am not ashamed to admit that this:

Is giving me a massive, throbbing, girlish heart-on. New Romantics in jodhpurs just do it for me. And no. Your scorn cannot touch me.

I am immune.

I am Fashion.
bibliaddict wrote:Sweet baby gee, I'm totally with you on this. He is so rocking the Nick Rhodes "Girls on Film"-era look, I can barely stand it. :horny:
SheWolf wrote:Bret has the perfect bone structure and build to pull of this slightly effeminate look to a T.
Sherry wrote:Its just the beard makes it so, so wrong. :shock:
tvldiva wrote:That's exactly what I was thinking. Bret has the perfect face and frame for the early 80's look but beards were a no-no. Hard to be effeminate with manly facial hair. :eyebrow:

The facial hair still looks good to me. Then again, I once mistook a guy on an album cover for a new wave 80's band to be a very pretty girl. So Bret's choppy, red-tipped cut with beard in the video is both pseudo-androgynous and viry sixy.

Ok, I've just spent the last half hour trying to find '80s new wave/romantics types with beards. Best I got was Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics, but - shrug.
But seeing Bret with the long bangs and beard, with the high collar when he was singing definitely reminds me someone. ARGH! Who is it? There must have been ONE other man in the 80s who played the synths and was old enough for some fine facial hair!!! :hrm: Thoughts? Anyone?

From the look of their hair when they played in New Zealandtown, maybe mime-shorning them would have been a more popular attraction.

poptartgirl
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby poptartgirl » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:45 am

Besides David Bowie and M, I think I hear a little bit of Gary Numan in Fashion Is Danger. Of course, he did not rock the facial hair though :lol:

You remember "Cars", don't you ? :wink: : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldyx3KHOFXw
“We tell you lies, and if you laugh, they’re jokes.”

"all I wanted to say is "May I rock you ?"

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:36 am

SuzyBatt wrote:Ok, I've just spent the last half hour trying to find '80s new wave/romantics types with beards. Best I got was Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics, but - shrug.

I'm sure there were some with beards but they were a rarity. This trend was very...hmmmm....youthful. They looked to much like teenage boys playing with their mothers makeup. :whistle:
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby Bad Atom » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:56 am

The first time I watched this episode, I saw all the plot elements fall into place and got ready for the Bus Driver's Song, and I was really bummed out when the show ended short and song-less. Especially when we've been teased in the past ("What Goes on Tour"). I'd really like to hear the behind-the-scenes thinking here - did they actually perform the song and then cut it out of the show? Or did they create a story based on the song with no intention of actually using the song itself in the show? Either way, we're missing four minutes. Inquiring minds want to know!

I liked the following things:

[*] Murray telling the guys to get with the 90's - you could tell Jemaine was about to crack. :)

[*] I was happy to see the Prime Minister return. I didn't know he was coming back, and he was used well here. I like how they continue to portray New Zealand as the world's saddest little back-water country.

[*] I loved how the guys were so afraid of the hair gel. The camera angle was particularly inspired.

[*] EmoBret reminded me of the lead singer from Green Day. (I think it was the tie.) The repeated "Whatever"s and "Go away, Murray" were spot-on. I also liked the mention of Jemaine's Maori heritage, and Murray's backup plan to use Mexicans.

[*] Big Word of the Day: Viscosity!

[*] Dave at the New Zealand information desk was GENIUS:
"What side of the road do you drive on?"
"The middle."
"What language do you speak there?"
"Uh, we pretty much just make it up as we go along."
"Really?"
"That's why the people from there are so hard to understand."

[*] Greg dancing to "Who Likes to Rock the Party" was unexpected and hilarious! I was so busy paying attention to him the first time that I totally missed Mel walking away from the performance (sacrilege!).

[*] Sheep never fail to make me laugh.

I disliked the following things:

[*] The main plot was pretty threadbare - I never thought I'd see almost an entire show dedicated to hair gel. But they managed to pull it off. I know I've mentioned this a few times already, but Bret and Jemaine deserve a lot of credit for their acting. Their "gel withdrawal" was very believable. And whoever upthread mentioned that Jemaine could play "evil" is absolutely right!

[*] Again with the graphs, Murray?

[*] I wasn't too keen on "Fashion is Danger" but I got a couple of laughs out of it, especially the random "Pre-pre-president Reagan". But I lived through the 80's and I really don't want to be reminded of the fashions. :P

[*] I normally can't get enough of Mel, but her scene in this episode was odd. I did like the implication that's she's been leaving them food, though. It explains why they haven't been starving to death. :)

[*] [Simpsons Comic Book Guy voice] Do they expect me to believe that regular glue is strong enough to hold a pillow on someone's head? If it was super glue, I may have believed it. [/Simpsons Comic Book Guy voice]

[*] I wish they had given Lucy Lawless more to do. They did a great job of making her look nearly unrecognizable, I know I did a double-take when I saw her.

Only two more to go!!!

Whambi
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Whambi » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:19 am

Upon a 2nd viewing I noticed at the very end of the show, when Paula is walking away from the prime minister that there is a red flyer up on a pole which looks like a new poster made by Jemaine advertising the Conchords with their new sculpted hair, I don't have a big screen TV so I'm not 100% sure. Screencap, anyone?
Also Jemaine is reading a book called Folk Tales in bed when Bret throws the empty jar at him. Could it be a subtle shout-out to this What The Folk website? :yawinkle:
If I did I'd hold you tight into every single night & we'd fall asleep together & we'd wake up in the sunlight. Well, maybe I'm a dreamer, but, maybe one day you'll see, that dreams are......
......Yeah, yeah she gets it, stop cockblocking me!

halokiti

Postby halokiti » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:22 am

I was a little disappointed with this episode, only 1 song. It might get better with repeated viewings to pick up on the little things. I love 80s music so I thought "Fashion is Danger" was great. I never heard the song "Fade to Grey" but after Dandy and wiki wrote that it is a parody of this song I went and checked it out. That video is whack and I can see how people can make the connection, though the song is not totally similar. I thought there was some Vangelis-like music in the ep too. Bret's features really work for that emo or 80s effeminate look.

I didn't expect the Prime Minister to be in this episode either, but he was pretty funny this time too. I wish Lucy Lawless had be given more to do also, her character was just the straight person. I thought that "It's New Zealand Town" line copped from the movie "Chinatown" was well done.

Is Jemaine really part Maori?

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:45 am

Whambi wrote:Upon a 2nd viewing I noticed at the very end of the show, when Paula is walking away from the prime minister that there is a red flyer up on a pole which looks like a new poster made by Jemaine advertising the Conchords with their new sculpted hair, I don't have a big screen TV so I'm not 100% sure. Screencap, anyone?

I noticed that too! On the hot pink paper! Jemaine has spiky hair and Bret has some side-sweep happening. :lol:

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:47 am

halokiti wrote:
Is Jemaine really part Maori?

Yes, his mum's Maori.

WomanInThePark

Postby WomanInThePark » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:11 am

Bad Atom wrote:[*] Big Word of the Day: Viscosity!

I thought that was disgosity.. (Bad hearing + average vocabulary = a fair number of new words invented along the way.)
Beth, did you really need to fake your death?

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:23 am

Whambi wrote:Also Jemaine is reading a book called Folk Tales in bed when Bret throws the empty jar at him. Could it be a subtle shout-out to this What The Folk website? :yawinkle:

I highly doubt they would give a nod to the site tbh. Really not expecting to see anything that might hint at WTF! at all ever on the show.

Which is fine by me I hasten to add :lol: 8)

Return to “HBO TV series”