HBO show a go?

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
beck
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby beck » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:04 am

Just saw the preview over at conchords.net.

All I can say is: holycrapsoawesomesoexcitedimightpeemypantsalittlegodihopeitscreensinnz
"'I'm sorry' and 'I apologise' are the same...except at a funeral" - Demitri Martin

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:31 pm

beck wrote:All I can say is: holycrapsoawesomesoexcitedimightpeemypantsalittlegodihopeitscreensinnz

:lol:

From what I've seen and been told, I'm kind of torn. Part of me thinks that using stuff already done in the BBC series is a bit dodgy. Although I am sure they will make it fresh, I just wonder how I'll find it. I know it already, and having had the radio series in my head, gotten used to it, I just don't know if it'll work for me seeing similar done over.

And also the newly recorded versions of some of their songs worries me. I love the 'live' tracks. The Folk The World CD was their first recording, and yes, its far from polished performances on some of the songs, but they were live. And that was the beauty of it. I'm not sure how I feel about studio recorded stuff. I don't want them produced to crap and so well polished I can see my reflection in them. I want the 'feeling' of it live.

I guess for me it comes down to that I view them as Flight of The Conchords, as comedians. Yes, they are musicians also, but comedy is what they do and the songs are built round that.

And for me comedy is always fresh when its live or improvised and not too structured. Thats what I loved about the BBC series. They went out and about, no script as such and improvised. I wonder how the TV series will be bearing in mind thats not how its happening.

Yeah I know, I sound like doom and gloom lol. But I'm not. I'm exicted about the series and chuffed to bits for them, but I know what I like about their comedy and why. I expect I'll enjoy watching it, but I'll prefer their live show and songs over studio recorded and produced.

onewithdog
Half a shapely halibut

Postby onewithdog » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:43 pm

Hi Sherry.

Your just a mega fan. I understand of being scared of "more of the same". But there are millions of people who have no idea who FotC are. Hopefully with the HBO show they can grab a few, like they did me.

And HOPEFULLY HBO doesnt cut it short after just one season. They have been doing that far too often lately.

Good luck to the boys. Me and my friends will be watching.

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:55 pm

onewithdog wrote:Hi Sherry.

Your just a mega fan. I understand of being scared of "more of the same". But there are millions of people who have no idea who FotC are. Hopefully with the HBO show they can grab a few, like they did me.

And HOPEFULLY HBO doesnt cut it short after just one season. They have been doing that far too often lately.

Good luck to the boys. Me and my friends will be watching.

Moi? A mega fan? :shock:

Maybe I am, in one way, because I run this site and spend a fair chunk of my free time working on things. But I consider myself far from fannish in my appreciation of them. If that makes sense.

I'm sure I'll enjoy the series, but I do hope I don't hear material too similar to the BBC radio show in it. I'd be disapointed if so. I know most people who will watch the series on HBO will probably never have heard of them let alone the BBC radio series, or their live CD or show. So it'll all be new to them. But I'll know :p

And as for a second series, it would not surprise me if the guys were the ones to turn that down. But who knows, it'll rest on how this one goes over and if they are offered the chance of a second, that they might want to do it. Consider they only signed a one album deal with Sub Pop as they did not want to be tied in to it. My gut feeling is they may well do something similar with HBO.

Good to see you stopping by btw :)

jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby jm513 » Tue May 01, 2007 4:08 pm

we cancelled HBO about a year ago b/c we never watched it - but we said from the secoond we heard about this that we're getting it back for the show, so I'll be having that package put back in shortly! I feel like I've missed too much already since they've done previews!! *lol*!
"I can't brain today - I haz teh dumb"

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Thu May 03, 2007 7:19 pm

I found this HBO pilot snippet online today

Keep your hopes grounded - by Rick

We got the pilot in at work. I was a big fan of their stand-up special on HBO, but the show is pretty disappointing. The songs meander on too long, the comedy in between is pretty weak (except for one really hilarious turn by Eugene Mirman), and it just feels a lot like Tenacious D, except in NYC and with accents. There's even a super obsessed fanbase of one. I was told the show finds its own voice after the pilot, but from what I saw, it's only okay.

Now while this is only one persons opinion of the pilot, its interesting to note a few things he says.

a) The songs meander on too long

A full song, if indeed thats what they are in the series might work well. On the other hand, when you consider the radio series and how some songs wafted in and out or only a part of them was used to good effect, it'll be interesting to see how the music side of things fare in amongst TV comedy. I did read about a music video has been recorded for every episode. If these are included in the show, I do wonder how they will work.

b) The Tenacious D comparison.

I think quite a lot of people are going to be using that, if only because they don't know how else to describe them to others. I have never ever considered them even remotely close to what the D do. Mind you, I've never seen an episode of anything the D have been in. I've seen the odd film, TV interview and own an album. Which I happen to like a great deal. But Conchords are like the D? Not really. Alas people wanting to find something to liken the Conchords to will possibly grasp at the Tenacious D thing and run with it. Anyone expecting such in your face antics as the D uses are in for a big let down. The Conchords are far more subtle and laid back.

c) The super obsessed fan base of one

Ummm wasn't that used in the radio show? We had the 'do it for the fan' line and also the super obsessed fans in Kipper and Tracy. So while there were two fans in the radio series, I kind of feel the super obsessed thing has been done before. And while TV is of course a different medium, for me I hope for more new material in the HBO series and to not hear too much stuff reworked from the BBC series.

We've already seen Bret singing his song to his lady friend and then the camera panning out to include Jemaine in the shot. Something thats been done in the radio show (only of course we've not seen, only heard it) to brilliant effect. Seeing it on TV will be cool but I'll know it already.

I know most people watching the HBO series are going to be completly clueless about the radio series, but for some reason knowing that material already, it'd be nice to see new stuff. Of course it'll be there, the guys improvise, deviated from the script, so it'll be a combination of old and new, but to most people it'll all be new.

Ummm yeah, mindspill over

:sofa:

beck

Postby beck » Fri May 04, 2007 1:58 am

I've seen all of Tenacious D's episodes they did for HBO, and the basic story does sound similar, a two piece acoustic band trying to hit it big. I don't like comparing Tenacious D and the Conchords because, to me, they are two very different bands. I see The D as a lot about the music with the comedy as secondary, where as I see the Conchords as more of a musical comedy act with the comedy being a priority.

Although, thinking about it now, there are a couple of same story lines repeated in the Conchords series. The obsessed fan occurred in Tenacious D show, as well as girl troubles. I don't think that the two shows will be the same, but I do think there will be some particular aspects which will the same.
"'I'm sorry' and 'I apologise' are the same...except at a funeral" - Demitri Martin

onewithdog
Half a shapely halibut

Postby onewithdog » Tue May 08, 2007 2:00 am

I laughed really hard at the latest teaser HBO aired.

Why!? I mean, its just them playing the guitar. But i smiled, and than starting laughing really hard.

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Tue May 08, 2007 3:29 am

onewithdog wrote:I laughed really hard at the latest teaser HBO aired.

Why!? I mean, its just them playing the guitar. But i smiled, and than starting laughing really hard.

Yep :lol:

Ellen

This bodes well, I'd say.

Postby Ellen » Tue May 08, 2007 4:27 am

onewithdog wrote:I laughed really hard at the latest teaser HBO aired.

Me too. I'm still smiling actually. It reminded me a bit of OK Go. *hits play again*

Goodbye Babylon
Giving the paper to the people

Re: This bodes well, I'd say.

Postby Goodbye Babylon » Wed May 16, 2007 10:10 am

Ellen wrote:Me too. I'm still smiling actually. It reminded me a bit of OK Go. *hits play again*

That treadmill song? But theres no treadmills and their missing two people.
a squirrel is the same as a can.....
when there is a bb gun in my hand

Ellen

Re: This bodes well, I'd say.

Postby Ellen » Wed May 16, 2007 5:26 pm

Goodbye Babylon wrote:
Ellen wrote:Me too. I'm still smiling actually. It reminded me a bit of OK Go. *hits play again*

That treadmill song? But theres no treadmills and their missing two people.

No, not "Here it Goes Again," I was actually thinking of "A Million Ways," OK Go's backyard dance video. It just had a bit of that same raw yet cool vibe for me.

poptartgirl
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby poptartgirl » Sat May 26, 2007 11:54 pm

jm513 wrote:we cancelled HBO about a year ago b/c we never watched it - but we said from the secoond we heard about this that we're getting it back for the show, so I'll be having that package put back in shortly! I feel like I've missed too much already since they've done previews!! *lol*!

I only have a standard cable package that doesn't include HBO. I don't know that I want to add it just for 1 show. I have a couple of friends who are FOTC fans so the show would be a good excuse to go to their house to hang out :P :) .

Jennifer

Return to “HBO TV series”