The HBO Show

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
Lovelynhot
Lost but happy at sea

The HBO Show

Postby Lovelynhot » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:07 am

First off is it just me or is the HBO show going to a spin off from the hilarious radio show? That was my impression from seeing the two promos on HBO on demand and then the first episode aired last Sunday pretty much confirming that it just might be a spin off. Either way I loved it!

Just Pam, Not any Wham Bam Pam

Ain't no party like my nana's tea party

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:33 am

I would say it was loosely based on the BBC show. Some of the same bits but the absence of Rob Brydon is the biggest change in the show for me.

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:30 am

They seem to have taken a lot of the ideas from the radio show.

There are some new things though, Sally for one, Murray having a day job and alas therefore not being such a constant character, Jemaine being meaner in the TV show than the radio. They were both really likeable in the radio show, but I found it hard to take to TV Jemaine's character.

Mel is of course a mix of their fan experiences around the world and then exaggerated somewhat. In the radio show it was a couple. I prefer the single fan concept more than the couple as that was a real 'ick' part for me in the radio show. Ick ick ick

*Small spoiler alert below* but it is the episode title so its not that shocking :lol:

Them getting mugged in part 3 will also be new.

Also the way the TV series is working, they are working the story in a totally different order. Over 12 episodes we will see lots more new stuff. We have to. BBC show was only 6 parts :roll:

Don't forget we'll get lots more songs in the TV series :yay: and those lip synched singalongs :bang: set in a video stylee.

No voiceover for me was the biggest loss. I think the TV series would have really been enhanced with a great voiceover like Brydon's. It was legend 8) and took the radio series from good to great.

Ummm yeah I have too many thoughts on all this :hrm:

mandraco
Keeping it funky

Postby mandraco » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:52 am

Well, that's how I learnt that Rob Brydon was in Guy Ritchie's Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels where he played the role of the traffic warden. I just looked up his IMDB page and apparently he's in "Sally" and "Mugged"... where?

The two serieses are sort of similar in that the basic premise is the same: i.e. that they are two Kiwi musicians trying to make their way in the world (be it London or New York).

And they didn't get mugged in the BBC series because Brian had the forethought to get them to tape their wallets to their chests... except for Jemaine of course. No Brian in the new one, just Murray.

New songs in the TV series is definitely going to be the highlight, even if classic Conchords is cool, improvised Conchords is better, though.

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:55 am

mandraco wrote:Well, that's how I learnt that Rob Brydon was in Guy Ritchie's Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels where he played the role of the traffic warden. I just looked up his IMDB page and apparently he's in "Sally" and "Mugged"... where?

He's not. I think people were getting their wires crossed with the BBC series in the updating of the IMDb page.

But you never know, he may pop up in part 3. I am not expecting it though.

mandraco
Keeping it funky

Postby mandraco » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:06 pm

I didn't think he was. But it might have been cool if he was in the background somewhere. Like at the party as one of the seven other dudes.

The thing is, if they are just confused, why not have him appear in the first six episodes? Why "Sally" and "Mugged" specifically? :hrm: *goes to ponder the secrets of the universe*

Return to “HBO TV series”