HBO Conchords goofs/mistakes/continuity errors

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
Sherry
Professional Blonde

HBO Conchords goofs/mistakes/continuity errors

Postby Sherry » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:42 am

In the name of science and all things Conchord I thought a 'spot the mistake/goof/continuity error' thingo was needed :doh:

So this gives you another reason (like you need one eh :waggle: ) to go watch the shows all over again :purple:

Be sure to take notes as you will be tested later :writersblock: :lol:

No idea how many there will be but if we get enough I'll cobble together a page on the site :whistle:

To kick start, here's one from episode 4 Yoko

When singing If You're Into It, in one shot on Jemaine, the lil red piano is there, then in the next cut to J, when he has one leg up on the wall, its gone :shock: Then lo its back again and it stays while Jemaine plays it... until a little while later, when he stands holding the apple and blimey, its gone again :shock:

Then it magically appears when Coco carries all the stuff when the guys are off peddling the bike round.

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:39 pm

Its been mentioned before but they just moved to town and Bret said he had dated Sally for 6 or 7 months.

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:28 pm

Continuity can drive me crazy! I try to ignore it with tv or small movies knowing they don't always have the budget/time to re-shoot because of a small continuity issue, but I still notice. Talk about a useless skill! :wink:

In the first episode, when B & J are in Murray's office, a poster magically appears behind the boys during the scene.

In the first episode, the street front for the guy's apartment is all red and on what seems to be a residential street. For the other episodes, it's a white building between two Chinese businesses. I'm guessing this is because it was the pilot and shot separately from the other episodes.

I spotted the piano goof also. Of course, it could just mean that Jemaine is a magician?!

I know I saw others, I just can't think of them off the top of my head.

Lamppost
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Lamppost » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:05 pm

Johnnyp wrote:Its been mentioned before but they just moved to town and Bret said he had dated Sally for 6 or 7 months.

Well, is it ever established how long it had been since they arrived in NY? They already have a manager and they're friends with Dave and already have a rabid fan, so... I would think that they could have been in town for almost a year when we see the first episode.

I think they definitely did the right thing by placing the beginning of the series in the middle, thus avoiding the stale "fish out of water" premise altogether.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:01 pm

Yeah, I never thought it was said outright that they'd just moved there, so the fact that Bret could have dated Sally for six months didn't seem off to me.

As for the disappearing piano in the If You're Into It sketch, I definitely got the impression that the instruments were supposed to suddenly appear and disappear with each interjection Jemaine does (although within that context, there could have still been some goofs).
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:29 pm

Maybe it was supposed to happen. Just I kept hearing it then through the song and it wasn't there.

I recall one of the posters being different, or was it suddenly appearing.

CursedCarolers
New arrival

Postby CursedCarolers » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:25 pm

This is just off the top of my head...so I haven't really checked.

But when Bret asks Jermaine to listen to the song he wrote for Coco...watch the muffin (or whatever it is) that Jermaine is eating. It goes from being untouched to partially eaten to untouched again and then like half eaten. Guess he got hungry between takes.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:37 pm

Or maybe the song was so long that he ate multiple muffins. ;) :lol:
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Satellite
New arrival

Postby Satellite » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:05 am

indigo_jones wrote:Or maybe the song was so long that he ate multiple muffins. ;) :lol:

that's probably it.
One thing I noticed was that their bedroom seemed to be inconsistent in the first episode

Kebab
New arrival

Postby Kebab » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:30 am

I notice when Murray was lecturing Bret to not "do any drive-bys" now that he's a rapper.....they must have had multiple takes because Jemaine's arms are folded then not folded then folded....as they cut back and forth to their reaction shots.

Bacon
New arrival

Postby Bacon » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:14 pm

I think the piano thing was intentional because he changed instruments a few times during that song. it was way to obvious to have just slipped in.

littlemicky
New arrival

Postby littlemicky » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:10 am

when murray and jemaine are making the list comparing bret to the cassette there's something scrathed out under the cassette list that kept appearing and reappearing when it flashed back to murray...

it's rather irritatingly funny... but not...
of course i screamed! you hit me with nunchucks!

i *heart* my smoosh and figwit

yogurt isn't a form of lotion! you silly b****.

Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Deirdre » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:07 pm

In "Pencils in the Wind" they took the word cello out before tape, making it sound really awkward. But then, one time Jemaine sang "cello tape." I cheered that it was back momentarily.

It was probably an accident because if they thought it was important to protect the American public from the word cello throughout the whole song, surely they wouldn't put it in there one time. I think they left it in because Jemaine sounded so good when he sang it.

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:49 pm

Murray- is he married or not??

They have never established that Murray was married but there does seem to be some conflicting storylines. Murray is wearing a wedding ring but there is never a mention of a wife or family. I had just assumed it was a continuity issue and that it was actually Rhys's own ring.

In the Yoko episode, Murray tells Bret to hold on to her(Coco) and don't let go. He came across very melancholy, like maybe he was lonely.
In the last episode, he mentions always being at work, again feeling very melancholy.

homeworkwithheather
Giving the paper to the people

Postby homeworkwithheather » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:47 am

this isn't continuity...more so mistakes...

During the FOTC..the song says "Because I rap about reality, like me and my grandma drinking a cup of tea"....but Bret's mouth says "me and my grandma having a cup of tea.

Also...at the the beginning of the episode, when jemaine asks who was on the phone..Bret says "Mom, she says hi" or something like that. Then when he goes to get the camera phone back, Bret asks jemaine to let "HIS" mom know if something happens to him. Was the premise supposed to be that they're borthers, or was it just misspoken?
"Hey guys, remember that time he got his hand caught in that jar? What a dick! I mean...who gets their hand caught in a jar? What a big blooming asshole he was!"

Return to “HBO TV series”