HBO Conchords goofs/mistakes/continuity errors

The place for all Conchords HBO convo
Cankersaurous
Giving the paper to the people

Postby Cankersaurous » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:51 am

homeworkwithheather wrote:this isn't continuity...more so mistakes...

During the FOTC..the song says "Because I rap about reality, like me and my grandma drinking a cup of tea"....but Bret's mouth says "me and my grandma having a cup of tea.

Also...at the the beginning of the episode, when jemaine asks who was on the phone..Bret says "Mom, she says hi" or something like that. Then when he goes to get the camera phone back, Bret asks jemaine to let "HIS" mom know if something happens to him. Was the premise supposed to be that they're borthers, or was it just misspoken?

I thought said "my mom, ..."

hmmm
ROBOT GIRL... Not what they expected.

homeworkwithheather

Postby homeworkwithheather » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:54 am

Cankersaurous wrote:
homeworkwithheather wrote:this isn't continuity...more so mistakes...

During the FOTC..the song says "Because I rap about reality, like me and my grandma drinking a cup of tea"....but Bret's mouth says "me and my grandma having a cup of tea.

Also...at the the beginning of the episode, when jemaine asks who was on the phone..Bret says "Mom, she says hi" or something like that. Then when he goes to get the camera phone back, Bret asks jemaine to let "HIS" mom know if something happens to him. Was the premise supposed to be that they're borthers, or was it just misspoken?

I thought said "my mom, ..."

hmmm

I just rewound it and Bret says..

"It's mom...she's good"

Oh well....looks like I have to watch this episode again... :lol:
"Hey guys, remember that time he got his hand caught in that jar? What a dick! I mean...who gets their hand caught in a jar? What a big blooming asshole he was!"

littlemicky
New arrival

Postby littlemicky » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:15 am

the thing about the "mom", some people don't bother making things like "mom" and "dad" possessive when talking to people they are really close to, such as a best friend.
of course i screamed! you hit me with nunchucks!

i *heart* my smoosh and figwit

yogurt isn't a form of lotion! you silly b****.

homeworkwithheather

Postby homeworkwithheather » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:17 am

littlemicky wrote:the thing about the "mom", some people don't bother making things like "mom" and "dad" possessive when talking to people they are really close to, such as a best friend.

yeah...I was just being picky :D
"Hey guys, remember that time he got his hand caught in that jar? What a dick! I mean...who gets their hand caught in a jar? What a big blooming asshole he was!"

mandraco
Keeping it funky

Postby mandraco » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:19 am

Deirdre wrote:In "Pencils in the Wind" they took the word cello out before tape, making it sound really awkward. But then, one time Jemaine sang "cello tape." I cheered that it was back momentarily.

It was probably an accident because if they thought it was important to protect the American public from the word cello throughout the whole song, surely they wouldn't put it in there one time. I think they left it in because Jemaine sounded so good when he sang it.

I don't know why they changed the lyric, but that's meant to be there. It's in the official HBO lyrics where it refers to that song as "Sello Tape".

And about Murray being married, I just kind of assumed that he was because "Brian" is and they're basically the same person.

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:06 pm

mandraco wrote:
And about Murray being married, I just kind of assumed that he was because "Brian" is and they're basically the same person.

Rhys tells it that Brian is Murray's cousin :lol:

Craig

hmmm

Postby Craig » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:43 pm

This isnt a mistake, it's an intentional continuity, but I'll be a lot of people missed it, so let me point it out.

In the episode where Bret gets a job, early on Jemaine is writing a song and asks Bret if it should be

"Shake your boobies or shake your booties, because when I say booties I think about the little shoes that babies wear".

Then later when Jemaine does the gig and plays the tape recording of Bret, the song he sings goes like:

"All the hotties at the party, feelin naughty, shake your boobies yeah"
"All the ladies with their babies, making babies, shake your booties yeah"

Appears he decided to use both lines in the song. Anyone else catch this? And he ties in the booties line with ladies with babies. It's an excellent example of just how subtle their humor can be.

That little song is so funny I use it to sound-check my mic at every gig I play now. Of course not a single person in the room has any idea what I'm singing or why it's so funny.

littlemicky
New arrival

Postby littlemicky » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:26 am

yeah, my dad (who dis a new fotc fan) and i noticed it. i was tickled at that too and was sure to point it out to my dad, as well. i love things like that and am always watching for them.

i have a question, i think it's both on and off topic: how did bret get the muggers phone number in the third episode?

Lamppost
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Lamppost » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:47 am

indigo_jones wrote:Yeah, I never thought it was said outright that they'd just moved there, so the fact that Bret could have dated Sally for six months didn't seem off to me.

Yep, re-watched Yoko today and found definitive proof: Murray prefaces his meeting with Mel as the "2nd Annual Fan Club Meeting." Therefore, the guys have been in NYC for at least one year and probably more (to account for the time it took to gain Mel as a fan).

Craig

Postby Craig » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:30 pm

littlemicky wrote:how did bret get the muggers phone number in the third episode?

Well that's easy... the mugger already had the camera-phone. Bret knew the number.

littlemicky
New arrival

Postby littlemicky » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:51 pm

oh, i feel stupid now. haha. i was thinking he called the mugger's phone, i don't know why i didn't think of him calling jemaine's phone.

lovecellogirl
Lost but happy at sea

Postby lovecellogirl » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:14 am

In New Fans, when Bret is talking to Doug down in the basement, the wall behind Bret is unpainted sheetrock with the joint compound visible. The long shot of him standing in the hall shows painted white walls under the stairs.
The next scene where Mel breaks into the bathroom, it looks like there are shelves full of stuff behind her, like she's standing in a closet. She should be in the same hall Bret was in.
Very strange house.

Fouxdafafa
New arrival

Postby Fouxdafafa » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:23 pm

OOh, this is a good thread because I watch each episode so many times!~

The very first episode is just the pilot , but the apartment kitchen is only a table, some shelves. There isn't a sink or much of the other stuff that shows up in episode 2.

Also, there are alot of lipsynching mistakes. The funniest one to me is in Crying video at the end, Bret's in the background throwing his arms in the air and his voiceover is wailing away on the "Ah, Ah, Ah" before his mouth is even open!

The Consulate has no shelves behind B & J's chairs in the first episode. And the posters are constantly changing locations. The HBO website explained why after Murray gets a new computer, then the next episode he has his old one. THe decided to air the episodes out of sequence.

And poor Murray's wife/wedding band situation is funny in the show. Is he married, separated--she does come and go!

Amanda132
New arrival

Postby Amanda132 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:37 pm

My friend and I were just talking about continuity errors the other day, so it's funny that this is a thread.

In the episode with the new fans, Bret doesn't want to have a man-man-lady threesome, but in the Yoko episode, he offers to double team Coco with her roommate.

Ah, I know we thought of more, but I can't think of any right now.

LauraK
Boom King!

Re: HBO Conchords goofs/mistakes/continuity errors

Postby LauraK » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:58 am

Just thought this needed bumping, especially with season 2 airing in England now.....:)

Gives us all an excuse to watch them again...as if we really needed one, lol! :D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Return to “HBO TV series”