Love Birds- A film starring Rhys Darby

Rhys Darby, the legend that is Murray. Everything and anything to do with Rhys post it here please.
SheWolf
Boom King!

Re: Love Birds- A film starring Rhys Darby

Postby SheWolf » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:02 pm

I'm not a fan of the rom com genre at all but Rhys looks good - a spray tan helps everyone.

Wait, did I see Dave Fane? :o If he's in it, maybe I'll see it. :lol:
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:07 pm

Wow, Rhys looks amazing and that looks like a really good movie...I'll be seeing it for sure.

Good eye, SW:
http://www.lovebirdsmovie.com/dave-fane/
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Thanks for the Conchords for giving us all encyclopedic knowledge of NZ character actors!

I noticed "Tongan Ninja" wasn't on his impressive list of credits...
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:09 am

Here is a recent interview. It's so fun! Have a listen. It involves Hippos. :lol:

The movie opens full wide release in NZ soon. It's on some screens already. Yay. Hope it comes to the U.S. I really can't wait to see it.
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"

Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Great H » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:41 pm

That was hilarious! :lol:
I'll def be heading to the cinema to see this next weekend! :nod:

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Haha, really enjoyed listening to that interview, 4ever! Thanks so much for posting it. :D

FILM REVIEW: 'Love Birds'
Home » Entertainment » Film
Sat, 19 Feb 2011
Film | Film Review

Geek factor pressed into service..

> Love Birds
4 stars (out of 5)

Director: Paul Murphy
Cast: Rhys Darby, Sally Hawkins, Bryan Brown, Emily Barclay, Craig Hall, Faye Smythe, Dave Fane, Wesley Dowdell

Jaunty comedies are not in New Zealand cinema's comfort zone. We far prefer brooding introspection to verbal dexterity, so anyone approaching Love Birds (Hoyts and Rialto) has a right to feel apprehensive.

Comedian Rhys Darby created an iconic character as Murray in Flight of the Conchords but, since we have been deluged with him plugging a phone network, there is a sense he is overexposed.

As Doug, he has to be halfway believable as a romantic lead and, to be honest, that is about as far as he goes. Instead, the film turns the geek factor to its advantage.

Leading lady Holly (Sally Hawkins) says at one point "You know you're a bit of a dick?" to which he nods agreement and you realise you are not supposed to wish your man was more like Doug. Instead, you are supposed to think "Yes, my guy is a bit of a dick and I am all right with it." Which is very Kiwi.

Doug starts off being dumped for being boring, but he cannot see what is so wrong with his cosy routines that put friends and family before ambition.

Being forced to care for an injured paradise duck he calls Pierre puts him in the path of love-averse avian expert Holly. Feathers fly as they find that second-best love just might be lasting love.

Best thing: The duck is an absolute natural. The animal wranglers can feel very proud.

Worst thing: For all its charm there is something tentative about this - as if everyone is so afraid of stuffing it up that they cannot relax.

See it with: A desire to see the first big-screen depiction of the Kiwi sensitive new age guy. Makes a change from all those man-alone types.

- Christine Powley

Source

Rhys Darby takes on new, feathery role

Wed, 09 Feb 2011 6:35p.m.

By Kate Rodger

Click here to watch the interview with Rhys Darby and Paul Murphy

You might recognise the face, but Murray has taken flight from the conchords and is now mixing it with birds of a different feather, Love Birds.

Love Birds is a romantic comedy from the same filmmakers behind sleeper hit Second Hand Wedding, and director Paul Murphy had his eye on Rhys Darby for his new lead.

“We couldn’t find anyone else, he was outside waving. Seriously, we wanted someone kiwi, funny, good looking, we could go past Rhys really. For a phenomenal fee he agreed to join us,” Murphy says.

Darby plays Doug, your average kiwi bloke who struggles to find the right bird. When one quite literally crash-lands on his roof, his life takes an unpredictable turn.

Darby has some mighty fine company onscreen. British actress Sally Hawkins is his love interest, well one of them, and Aussie Bryan Brown's no stranger to Kiwi films.

While Love Birds certainly has its comedy, this role is somewhat of a more serious departure for Darby from his funnyman roots.

“I guess I wanted to challenge myself. My wife said ‘you’ve been my leading man, why don’t u prove you're capable of it, and you're not just a dick,’ that’s kinda sweet and sour really, I'm more than a dick,” he says.

But don’t be too worried, Darby's not getting too serious.

Love Birds has its premiere in Auckland tonight, opening for the rest of country on March 24th.

3 News

Source
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Great H

Postby Great H » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:58 pm

I tweeted about this but I forgot to post - and since sleep is clearly not a happening thing (again) tonight, It thought I might as well do it now...

Anyway, I went to see 'Love Birds' on Friday in an effort to cheer myself up and went in not expecting much, to be honest. But I came out with a big silly grin (and an odd fondness for ducks). You guys are gonna love it I'm sure. It has some super-dry humour and some over-the-top-silly humour as well. Brilliant. And it even has tension - the lawnmower scene! :shock: :lol: Best bit? The Officer and a Gentleman/Flash Gordon moment - you'll recognise it when you see it!.

Rhys' acting held up ok - much better than I had thought, though he really is still Murray! It works for this though. And he scrubs up pretty well too - I think he lost a bit of weight for the role and certainly a good haircut helps! You've gotta see the closing credits - Rhys, as a rock star! :lol: But most of my affection was definitely reserved for the duck. Cuuute!

Aside from lots of classic Queen songs on the soundtrack, you'll get to hear a couple of great tracks by NZ artist Gin Wigmore (I think I've raved about her before somewhere on WTF) - so listen up for those. You'll also get to see a LOT of Auckland where I live, it looks pretty good onscreen! But movies also fib - you're not actually allowed to ride a bike over the bridge... :lol: Oh! I REALLY liked that in the driving scenes they didn't swap everything over to drive on the right hand side (so as not to alienate the US market), as normally happens in our flicks. Keeping it Kiwi!

A friend of mine told me Love Birds has sold to a bunch of countries already (I don't know where she read that tho), so keep a look out if you want a bit of a giggle! :nod: :D

edit: Christine Powley's review above is spot-on, I think...

4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:51 pm

Great H wrote: But most of my affection was definitely reserved for the duck. Cuuute!

Oh! I REALLY liked that in the driving scenes they didn't swap everything over to drive on the right hand side (so as not to alienate the US market), as normally happens in our flicks. Keeping it Kiwi!

A friend of mine told me Love Birds has sold to a bunch of countries already (I don't know where she read that tho), so keep a look out if you want a bit of a giggle! :nod: :D

edit: Christine Powley's review above is spot-on, I think...

GreatH, you quack me up! Sorry, couldn't resist.

Thanks for the great review. I was already so excited to see and now I can't wait. I will have to begin googling to see if I can get a release date for the U.S. market.

Glad that you came out of the movie giggling. Sounds like a fun movie to me.

I'll admit that I've watched the movie trailer repeatedly. I love the queen soundtrack. I love that scene where Rhys and the duck are riding in the car and Rhys says, whaddaya know the duck likes queen. :roll2: :rolls: :roll2: :rolls:

Rhys rocks his new movie role look. The duck is pretty cute.
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:15 am

I liked her review, I'm glad you said it's spot-on. :D I really hope we get it here soon- I'd love to see it! Glad they kept it Kiwi-real and showed a lot of where you live. :thumb:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

VanessaR
New arrival

Postby VanessaR » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:41 am

I always think it's great when directors make an effort to showcase a city -I can't wait to see all the beautiful shots of Auckland :)

I've been doing some detective work on IMBD and Fandango, but alas no word of a US release date. Hopefully it will come soon! Until then, I'll just keep looking at this lovely still from the Love Birds website (http://www.lovebirdsmovie.com/gallery/)
When we first met, you tried to have me deported because you thought I was Australian.
That was a misunderstanding - you were wearing a vest top.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:49 am

There's a little Kenneth Branagh in the new Rhys hair and build. :eyelashes:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Great H

Postby Great H » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:27 am

Love Birds is out on DVD

Online order linkee's here and here, and no doubt there'll be other options around too if you google. Check shipping costs tho, they can be steep! Fishpond seems to be the cheapest international delivery but for some reason they still have it on pre-order with no price indication - I'm guessing that'll change soon though cos it's on sale officially everywhere else already. :D

eorious
Consistently Mediocre

Postby eorious » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:46 am

Thanks for the linkies, Great H. :thumb:

BTW, I don't recommend googling "Love Birds DVD". Apparently the film title has been used before on some very different sorts of films, lol. :puzzled:

Return to “Rhys Darby”