The Wire

New to Flight of The Conchords? Or just new to the site and forums? Either way, please take a minute to stop by and say hello. Cheers!
pukeko
Lost but happy at sea

The Wire

Postby pukeko » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:43 pm

Hopefully this hasn't already been posted, but The Wire is a blog site of some successful kiwis. To tell the truth there are a few I haven't even heard of as a native, but those which may be familiar to you include:

-Taika Waititi
-Liam Finn
-Coco solid (from texan oddessy, not my cup of tea but for interests sake...)
-Heather Mansfield (1/2 of The Brunettes)

The earlier blogs seem to have vanished, which is a shame because Taika was a little more coherent earlier on and talked about his next film. Since then he's kept things short and weird.

I hope I posted this in the right place

http://www.thewire.co.nz/index.php

dangerous person
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: The Wire

Postby dangerous person » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:57 pm

pukeko wrote: The earlier blogs seem to have vanished, which is a shame because Taika was a little more coherent earlier on and talked about his next film. Since then he's kept things short and weird.

Nice website, thanks!
It looks like Taika needs a holiday or something :shock:

Ladyhawke has had quite a bit of press in the UK recently, she seems to be doing well here.
"We're a novelty music act, we're not a freak show"

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:01 pm

Who knew Taika was do daaaarrrrrkkk maaaaannnn..... Whatever. I don't get him anyway. :roll: Always seems a bit full o' himself if I were being honest, and I am. :wink:
90% evil
ImageImage

pukeko
Lost but happy at sea

Postby pukeko » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:06 pm

He does come off that way, but really it's his sense of humour. Very left of field. It's actually been quite funny watching him trade good-natured insults with everyone else on The Wire over the last few months.

If you're not used to it though he'd definatly come across as an absolute prick, I imagine.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:20 pm

Gotcha. I figured it was an attempt at humor that I just wasn't getting but wasn't 100% sure. So when Jemaine says that he wishes he could be more mean to people perhaps he's got Taika in mind.
90% evil
ImageImage

pukeko
Lost but happy at sea

Postby pukeko » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:51 pm

SheWolf wrote:Gotcha. I figured it was an attempt at humor that I just wasn't getting but wasn't 100% sure. So when Jemaine says that he wishes he could be more mean to people perhaps he's got Taika in mind.

Hmmm, maybe so. Comedically he's very similar to Taika (hence humourbeasts I guess, whom I've never seen) but he's such a shy and well mannered chap I don't think he could sustain talking like Taika does there.

Taika is far more personable out of print though, he's on the news from time to time and he comes accross really lovely. But I'm biased, I thought he was awesome ever since the oscars. When it was his big moment for his nominee closeup he pretended to be asleep. It sooo funny, you had to see it really.

pukeko
Lost but happy at sea

Postby pukeko » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:58 pm

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:07 pm

pukeko wrote:
SheWolf wrote:he's such a shy and well mannered chap I don't think he could sustain talking like Taika does there.

Taika is far more personable out of print though, he's on the news from time to time and he comes accross really lovely. But I'm biased, I thought he was awesome ever since the oscars. When it was his big moment for his nominee closeup he pretended to be asleep. It sooo funny, you had to see it really.

Jem said once that he was always worried about offending people which his a lovely trait, one that I don't possess, but I appreciate it in others. He seems well trained to be polite so it makes sense that he would fantasize about being a nasty bugger.

I've heard about the Oscar moment and it sounds great. I don't know much about Taika, he just rubbed me a bit wrong in the commentaries I've listened to.
90% evil
ImageImage

claire
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby claire » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:46 pm

ewww what on earth is taika going on about in that blog???

(btw welcome to the board pukeko! :) )
that's frozen cool...

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:35 pm

Yeah its been on TV loads here

Read about it here

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:46 pm

FWIW if you subscribe to the RSS you get all the backdated entries :)

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:14 pm

I loved Liam's. His pics are wonderful--what a great eye.
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

pukeko
Lost but happy at sea

Postby pukeko » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:53 am

Sherry wrote:FWIW if you subscribe to the RSS you get all the backdated entries :)

Aha! Thankyou very muchly :D

:wave: <<<< to claire

tvldiva wrote:I loved Liam's. His pics are wonderful--what a great eye.

Yeah aye, have you seen his myspace? Don't subscribe to it personally but I find it great for finding music and the like.

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:05 pm

pukeko wrote:
tvldiva wrote:I loved Liam's. His pics are wonderful--what a great eye.

Yeah aye, have you seen his myspace? Don't subscribe to it personally but I find it great for finding music and the like.

I have checked out some of his sites, even though I don't go for buddy site(facebook/my space) at all. The little I've heard, I do like his music but since I've loved his father's music for so long, he has a lot to live up to. I really need to see him live to get a full idea of what his music is all about(I hate listening to music on computers- too drab). He's come around Austin a couple of times but only plays during SXSW. This is a big drag because I work during that time and if he ain't playing my club- I don't see him. :dunno:

But I must say, I love the way he sees the world and can capture it on film. He can take such ordinary things and make them beautiful and fascinating. I really love that most of the blogs I've seen of his are photo essay's. Coming from a singer/songwriter, I find that interesting. He's the kind of guy I would love to sit and have a drink with. :partyman: (I of course would be the lightweight falling over!)
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

pukeko
Lost but happy at sea

Postby pukeko » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:59 am

Totally, I remember back in his Betchadupa days everyone was sort of "Famous dad, how hard could it be?". But he's come sooo far since then IMO, he's really come into his own. I saw his letterman performance awhile ago, and that blew me away. Shame I missed him live last time he was here, I bet he's spectacular.

I love his photography too, he doesn't just know his way around a camera but has a definate personality in his work as well. Makes me miss school, it was my best subject. I nearly persued it as a career, but ended up an ecology major instead. Go figure :dunno:

Return to “Introduce yourself - Feel free say hello here before posting. Thanks”